JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

measure 80

• yes

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • no

Votes: 34 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
I just greatly dislike hippies and young stoner tweens.. Enough so that I voted no.
Why support their cause when my 2A ones get put down by the pothead pacifists? I don't drink all that often anymore so yet another prohibition wouldn't phase me any either.

Any other dislikes we should know about ? Gays ? Blacks ? Muslims ? :D

Many of the comments in opposition pertain to driving under the influence of cannabis. These all operate under the assumptions that a) when it's legal more people will use it, b) when it's legal more people will drive stoned, c) nobody uses it or drives stoned currently since it's illegal, and d) it will be any more legal to drive stoned just because the substance is legal.

until there is a good roadside test to measure THC impaired driving I will vote No

They don't have one of those now and there are pot users on the road. I don't see this law making the situation any worse.

I don't care what you do in your own home, that is your own problem. But the moment you walk out the door or try to drive a car when you are high (or drunk) you become my problem. I don't want problems. I'm voting NO.

People are going to do what they want regardless of whether the law is passed or not. In countries where cannabis is legal or basically legal (Netherlands, Portugal) there is a lower incidence of use by citizens than in countries where it's illegal.

perscription drugs and alcohol are the main cause of duii I dont think legalizing mj is gonna make a any more people smoke it then do allready

This.

I will start by saying I don't think anyone should drive under the influence of any impairing substance. That said, I think stoned drivers are far less dangerous than drunk ones. With both substances, the first thing to go is your judgement, which is bad for driving (I think most drivers' judgement is bad enough sober), but alcohol affects the cerebellum too (cannabis mostly does not, which is part of the reason it's not possible to fatally overdose). With alcohol's effects on the cerebellum, you begin having issues with motor control and muscle memory, both of which are incredibly important for driving.

Here's some science: Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence

Last Edited:
I've got a long list. ;)
All jokes aside.. Potheads do tend to annoy me.. I've seldom met a recreational smoker who had a strong work ethic and didn't feel entitled.

I think the biggest problem with this measure is that it does nothing to change federal law. Until federal law is changed it doesn't make any difference what we do at the local level. If people want this to be legal they need to work at the national level.

On another note. If people want me to vote for the legalization of it there needs public restriction written into the same law like with alcohol. If alcohol type laws applied to cannabis I wouldn't have near the concern. It is not my thing but what people do in private should left alone in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hating pothead teens? Prefer drunks over stoners? Cost will outweigh taxes generated? No benefit? Only taxable above the illegal sales?

Haha, not one argument that actually makes sense. I don't even smoke pot, but nobody seems to have any actual reason to keep it illegal when anyone can go to their corner store buy a fifth of vodka and die of alcohol poisoning. Really, the arguments against dot make sense.

And this is beyond the matter of personal freedoms that I believe I should have as an adult in matters where I effect no one but myself.

If pot is the reason you die, that's because you were meant to go early and pot just happened to get there first. How can anyone take the weed debates seriously, while alcohol and tobacco kill HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS A YEAR, and are still legal.

I was told by a LEO that the worst thing about MJ is that the first thing to go is a person's inhibitions, and in ETOH (Alcohol) lips feeling, and speech, balance, then go the inhibitions.
So if this person is going to be an A** Hole, he will right off. I vote no as paramedic I'd rather deal with a drunk, than a pot head.

Drinking alcohol tends to make a person aggressive, even individuals who are generally passive by nature.

Smoke a joint and you become melloooooooow. And paranoid.:s0131:

Or, so I've been told.........

I will be voting yes. The legality will have no bearing on the number of users. Anyone that tells you otherwise is out of touch with reality. People try it, most often due to peer pressure. And they keep using it because they like it.

Michael Phelps, rated fittest man in the world, trained 5 hours every day for over a decade, most gold medals ever. Recreational smoker.

Key word being seldom sir. I never stated anomalies do not exist.
However, have you sat down and smoked a bowl with him? Or perhaps read an article in "High Times" giving his toke schedule? Like most all I saw was the one picture at that party.. Perhaps you know more and I'd be happy to be informed. But I doubt he is the average recreational smoker.

We both know the kind I'm talking about.

I voted yes.

Hundreds of thousands of American Citizens come home everyday from a hard days work an have a beer, glass of wine, shot of whiskey or a mixed drink. Pot is not any worse then the other intoxicants that are legal. Pot should be made legal also.

Key word being seldom sir. I never stated anomalies do not exist.
However, have you sat down and smoked a bowl with him? Or perhaps read an article in "High Times" giving his toke schedule? Like most all I saw was the one picture at that party.. Perhaps you know more and I'd be happy to be informed. But I doubt he is the average recreational smoker.

We both know the kind I'm talking about.

I don't know much about Phelps other than the fact that he was forced by the drug gestapo to give a grovelling apology for his "bad example" (as if his 22 Olympic medals isn't something to aspire to).

In any case, my point is what you call an anomaly is a lot more common than you think. I spent many years in academia and know a lot of very intelligent users who now pursue successful careers, so the allegation that pot causes failed lives is BS. Parasites will always be parasites, the pot doesn't change anything.

The social use of cannabis can't be erased, and with current laws, you really need to ask yourself WHO is controlling this "controlled substance"? Voters need to look at the WHOLE picture. While Measure 80 will indeed allow the social use of cannabis (most likely sold in the form of sinsemellia, AKA un-pollinated female plants which need constant care) , the BIGGER implication is growing industrial HEMP (aka cannabis) for paper, textiles, clothing, biodegradable plastics, construction (as with Hemcrete and insulation), body products, health food and bio-fuel.

Today, in 2012, hemp is legally grown in many countries across the world including Spain, China, Japan, Korea, France, North Africa and Ireland. Although hemp is commonly associated with marijuana, since 2007 the commercial success of hemp food products has grown considerably. The hemp plant outproduces ANY plant in the world in these terms.

Legalizing HEMP in Oregon will create untold numbers of living wage jobs in agriculture and industry, which currently are being handed over to our economic competitors because the people of America have been lied to about this plant.

And no, a field of industrial hemp is NOT the same as the cannabis people ingest. Smoking industrial grown hemp to get high would be almost like smoking a non-filtered cigarette to get high. In other words it won't happen.
Undoubtedly there will be a spike in use, but once the "newness" of it all wore off, usage will go back to what it is today or less. I promise you, there aren't mobs of people waiting to smoke pot if/when it gets legal. It's just too easy to get now and there's nothing to regulate it.There aren't lines of people waiting for pot to be legalized before they use it.
If nothing else, maybe passing this measure will make the Feds finally admit that Cannabis grown as HEMP is NOT the same as Cannabis grown for ingestion (marijuana). The U.S. is the only industrialized nation in the world that does not recognize the value of industrial HEMP and permit its production.

All Cannabis varieties, hemp AND marijuana, were put in the same category because, early in the 20th century, DuPont Chemical and their personal politicians saw industrial hemp as a threat to their business. Thousands of American Farmers grew hemp - it wasn't to get high, it was part of the American agricultural industry! Then some underhanded backroom tricks took that away.

Most all of the countries that grow industrial hemp in 2012 understand there IS a distinction between HEMP and MARIJUANA. Those countries include; Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, Slovena, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, etc, etc, etc....The US spends millions importing hemp to make thousands of products, but our own American farmers can't grow it on our own soil?. THAT'S reefer madness if you ask me.

The average layman can tell the difference between HEMP and MARIJUANA just by looking at it for crimeny sakes.

WAKE UP!

Voting No. I for the legalization of it, but I am against establishing another layer of government to over see it. We don't need anymore government filled with people who have arbitrary power over the law, especially a layer appointed by the sellers and growers. It just seems like more government pork, and an easy way to funnel our tax dollars away from where it should be going.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top