JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I realize the word 'Loan' is tricky.

For our purposes, two shooters realize that one of them may own a gun the other may want.

For our purposes, neither shooter is a felon nor otherwise precluded from owning or possessing a firearm.

But the second guy wants to "test drive" the firearm.

Guy "A" tells Guy "B", take it and shoot it this weekend and bring it back on Monday and tell me what you think.

The above scenario, while fictional, is not far fetched at all.

But is it 'legal'?

It is legal however if the owner is not going to be present, the firearm would need to be transferred at a FFL dealer and then back again after the test drive. That's how stupid it is in Oregon. The easy way is to simply make a date when both parties can go to the range.

It is legal however if the owner is not going to be present, the firearm would need to be transferred at a FFL dealer and then back again after the test drive.
Clarification question: By "transferred", you mean the FFL will conduct a background check (and accompanying fees and possible wait time) as if a purchase is being conducted?

Hello,

I can't answer for Oregon but I would not LEND a firearm to any person as suggested. NO matter what state that I lived in - gun laws or no gun laws.

I would go to the range or woods with the person who is interested in buying 'said firearm' and let them shoot it. Make the time for this however difficult it may be.

And if the person, intended buyer, LIKES the gun, I would proceed with whatever gun laws that pertain to your town, rural area or state even if I did not like the gun laws. Obey them to protect your butt. (My state allows private sales. My former state, back east, allowed private sales too.)

But I would NEVER just LEND someone a gun like that even if it was written down as a future maybe or maybe not sale deal.

IN MT, we helped a MT couple, extremely close and old friends, but it did not pertain to Oregon. EXAMPLE: THIS specific situation in MT was/is different when a couple including a lawyer who is part of the 'couple' ASKS a friend or family member to hold some guns for them in a specific situation with a DRAWN UP legal paper to protect all parties including a homeowner where said guns were/are stored, the couple who needs help (NO court order or that stuff.), the man who is officially holding the guns for the original owner/owners aka the couple who needs help for several months.

ADDED more.

Take care.

Cate

Last Edited:
Just think of how many children have been saved. I'm thinking it's probably in the zeros. Also would like to see numbers where borrowed guns legally used in crimes.

I sold a few guns to people I knew before this law went into place. So far so good but I guess dealing with decent people that is bound to happen. Now, the law forces Red Flag situations because no one can quickly and legally store someone's guns unless you are a pastor of questionable ethics.

I would not LEND a firearm to any person as suggested. NO matter what state that I lived in - gun laws or no gun laws.
Man, that would be a hard decision and would require a high level of trust.

I can honestly say I know of maybe two people I could 'loan' guns to for evaluation - and this is only because I know them well, have been shooting with them many times and I know them to be careful and respectful types.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top