JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We were at war in those countries and if your at war with a country people die, sometimes innocent people die. That's war.

At least we've gotten past the notion that innocents are not killed in war.

But I am not a collectivist. I don't think countries war with each other, because countries do not think or act; individuals do. Countries are not sentient beings; individuals are (some of 'em, anyway).

In the beginning, before the war starts, various individuals decided it was in their interest to have a war. They then use their positions of influence to drag the rest of us along, and repress those who don't agree. Here's Mark Twain:

"The loud little handful - as usual - will shout for the war. The pulpit will - warily and cautiously - object... at first. The great, big, dull bulk of the nation will rub its sleepy eyes and try to make out why there should be a war, and will say, earnestly and indignantly, "It is unjust and dishonorable, and there is no necessity for it."

Then the handful will shout louder. A few fair men on the other side will argue and reason against the war with speech and pen, and at first will have a hearing and be applauded, but it will not last long; those others will outshout them, and presently the antiwar audiences will thin out and lose popularity.

Before long, you will see this curious thing: the speakers stoned from the platform, and free speech strangled by hordes of furious men...

Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception."

-- Mark Twain, "The Mysterious Stranger" (1910)

But yeah, people can rationalize anything. It's the thing human beings are most talented at.

Maybe we should bomb lots more countries, to help them out in our usual way. o_O

I've had friends who suffered from PTSD.
I remember my friend telling me one 4th of July as the fireworks started going off she ran and hide under a car for hours until it stopped.

I have another friend who's wife working in a trauma hospital in Iraq. She had some issues, nightmares from taking care of Iraqi kids that had been blown up from a suicide bomber.

All I know if what I've heard from others, friends, Vietnam Vets I've met. I've tried to help where I can.
But I think only Vets can truly help other Vets. No matter what war you served in. It takes someone who knows what they've been through. Who knows the struggle they deal with.
It takes a brotherhood or sisterhood that was forged in hell.

So I try to listen, take their minds off of things, and I try to hire Vets when I can.
I just wish there was more Avenues for Vets to get help and not going to the crappy politician run VA.

War is an ugly thing! A young kid just out of school, leaving home for the first time, thrust into the maw of combat, seeing the horrors with his own eyes, hearing the madness and trying to make sense of it. hearing the bone chilling screams of agony and death all around!! These things cannot ever be understood by those who never experience them!!! People ask me how I did it for SO frickin long? My answer is always this, I did it for my buddies, I did it so some other kid wouldn't have to, I did it because I was good at my job, and I did it THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE!!! No one should have to see the things I saw, and no one should have to do the things I did, but that is WAR, the very worse that man kind is capable of inflicting on another! Don't thank me, I am no hero, I didn't do any thing others didn't or wouldn't do, thank the ones who lost something they will never get back!

I had to visit the VA when I retired so that I could be inputted into the system. I sat there with my Dad (Retired Navy) and witnessed something so terrible that all the things I went through suddenly didn't matter so much to me! The V.A. is one of the most corrupt Gov operations ever, what My Father and I witnessed for ever changed how both of us see the treatment of Vets and the utter failing of the V.A. health care system!

For those who served and never came back in one way or another , may you have the peace you deserve and have earned.

Everyday is like Memorial Day for me.
When I enlisted I bought a POW/MIA bracelet. I have worn it everyday since then. I hope that one day he returns home to his family.
SFC. Louis Buckley JR. 21MAY66 SVN , You are not forgotten.
Andy

Major Curtis Dan Miller USAF 29 March 1972 Laos

And that was probably one of the better centers!

My froend's wife who was a combat nurse works at the VA now and she said that most of the people that work in the hospital she does are not Vets and never served. She said most of them have no respect for Vets and complain about the Vets being needy and whinny!!! WTF!

Those people should be fired. She said it's every bit as corrupt and anti-Veteran as you would think.

And now their talking about reinstating Sharon Helman at the heart of one of the VA scandals

Tho only good thing to come out of the V.A. is now you can choose your own doctor at a hospital of your own choosing ( as long as they accept V.A. benefits) and so we Vets have access to better care!

Happy to see the thread veering back on topic. Seems like someone could start a new thread for the purpose of bashing. That's not what this one is for.

(snip) The V.A. is one of the most corrupt Gov operations ever, what My Father and I witnessed for ever changed how both of us see the treatment of Vets and the utter failing of the V.A. health care system!
I'm lucky. I've not had to deal with VA. After 20, I settled down near a military installation. I get Tri-Care. And I have a military hospital. There are VA clinics nearby, but I've never been to one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top