JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Variation on a Theme

"Witnesses told police they saw a man, identified as 72-year-old Darrell Bemis, run after the two males and fire a handgun in their direction including towards a parking lot."

"Some dudes ran out of his store with a handful of loot, and 72-year-old Mr. Bemis set out in hot pursuit with a handful of pistol. Right out there in the middle of Terre Haute, in the middle of a busy retail area, a couple blocks from a middle school, he decided that the prudent form of action would be to start shooting after the fleeing crooks."

Local Fox

That's a sh!tty situation right there. Did any of us know that theft is against the law in some countries, countries with low crime rates because of stiff punishments. Our laws have far, far more protections for the scum who is commuting the crime than the victim. I can see how this type of reaction will increase, I don't support it, but can see it happening.

Lemme fix .... "Right out there in the middle of Terre Haute, in the middle of a busy retail area, a couple blocks from a middle school, the Unlicensed Wealth Redistribution Agents decided that the prudent form of action would be to act without permission to violate property rights and assault people's mental/emotional health status ...."

Property = TIME ... you steal property, it's not just property, it is literally life. Property is time spent that cannot be re-credited to a person's life.

Lemme fix .... "Right out there in the middle of Terre Haute, in the middle of a busy retail area, a couple blocks from a middle school, the Unlicensed Wealth Redistribution Agents decided that the prudent form of action would be to act without permission to violate property rights and assault people's mental/emotional health status ...."

Property = TIME ... you steal property, it's not just property, it is literally life. Property is time spent that cannot be re-credited to a person's life.
I have argued this VERY point since the 80's, man!

Last Edited:
Now the victim is the bad guy. Our society has decided that crimes involving property have a very low priority. In many states a victim isn't permitted to shoot at a fleeing suspect no matter what the crime. In order to stay out of trouble, we have to live with the system as it is, not what we want it to be.

Let's say Mr. Bemis had been successful in shooting and or killing one of the suspects. Chances are high he'd be facing a civil lawsuit that would cost him much more than the value of the original merchandise stolen.

Let me be the contrarian.

Time is not literally life. Nobody killed the store owner.

The store owner is not being prosecuted only (or even primarily) because of the danger he put the thieves in but for the deadly hazard he placed innocent bystanders in, including children in a middle school. I hope his exceedingly poor judgment and lack of competent firearm usage results in a conviction.

Let me be the contrarian.

Time is not literally life. Nobody killed the store owner.

The store owner is not being prosecuted only (or even primarily) because of the danger he put the thieves in but for the deadly hazard he placed innocent bystanders in, including children in a middle school. I hope his exceedingly poor judgment and lack of competent firearm usage results in a conviction.
You are telling the truth, but that's not what some people feel is their last restore to prevent this stuff. It's got to be extremely frustrating as a shop owner, says he's near retirement age, and just watch your retirement walk out the door. I wish the law could revert back to the thief is the one putting other people's lives in danger. Anyone think the owner would have shot his gun, or even pulled it out if he wasn't a victim of a thieving POS?

Nuts.

AEAEE70B-3362-48E7-975C-DE9E68CB7082.jpeg

Last Edited:
Hopefully the actual bad guys did or said something while in the store that will help the owners case. I wish all these shops shut down and let the locals and local politicians know why.

The LA riot area, outside of Korea Town, never fully bounced back. Portland hasn't and most Summer of Love places won't. Well not without trillion tax dollar bailouts.

The report brushes over the actual story. This old man didn't all of a sudden go on a shooting spree. Maybe he was wrong. Maybe he wasn't. The mall shooter was just set free because, well, he didn't mean it, man.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top