JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm slowly running out of powder and I'm not really sold on the CFE223 powder although I did have 3 pounds during this last round.
I have been doing so research into the IMR 4198 and I like the fact that I can load more rounds per pound... 18.3 to 19.5g with a Sierra 69g HPBT verses 25g of CFE223...

Anyways I'm searching for the pros and cons of this powder if you are so inclined to share it. Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it.;)

I like IMR 4198, have used it in .222 Rem. and lately .223 Rem. but with 55 gr. bullets. It burns pretty cleanly. Through my RCBS powder measure, it's pretty crunchy.

As to the charges you mention. I see you got that data from the Hodgdon site, or so it seems. I'm getting very cautious as I check out loads on that site. Meaning, some of them in my own experience are pretty hot. I would start low, especially with that comparatively heavy 69 gr. bullet. I think you're not going to want to get up to 19.5 gr., I could be wrong. Keep an eye on your primers as you work up your load.

IMR 4198 isn't the best powder for 69 gr. bullets in .223 Rem., IMR 4895 would be a better choice but in times of scarcity we must use what we can get. Your CFE 223 is more efficient for 69 gr. bullets.

Re. CFE 223. I had some, didn't like it. Metered beautifully, at the charges I was using, it was very dirty. I've heard other people say it's very clean. It could be that it's a powder that burns best at max charges and I'm rarely doing that so for me it wasn't a good one. In general, I find ball powders don't burn as clean as stick powders.

That was last available around 2011. There is the new, commercial IMR 8208 XBR which is a wonderful powder for .223, also H-322. Stick powders that meter like ball.
The word 'back then' was that 8208 and H-322 were the same powder. In Hodgdon's early days, maybe. In the 70s, I bought 50 pounds for $3 per. That would be a whopping $12.78 today. One of the few things any good about the 70s.

I take my grandson out shilooting every weekend and load up a hundred rounds of 223 every week for him. I am about done with a pound container of 4198 for the 223. I have a hand throw Hornady powder measure and it doesn't meter well. When i pick up the handle it wants to cut the powder, i relieve the preasure on the handle a couple of times and it will work it's way threw. Then I trickle the rest in with a battery operated Hornady Vibarator Trickler.
I stay just above the minimum powder charge, i can check the grains I use tomorrow. I bought 55 grain FMJ bullets.

IMR-8208 XBR yields excellent accuracy with 69s or 77s. It meters very consistent in my Dillon powder thrower. RL15 also meters well
and is a popular powder for 69s and 77s for competition shooting. Varget is also considered one of the best powders for accuracy.
But Varget does not meter worth a crap. I end up weighing each charge with Varget PIA.:confused: I have tried CFE 223 not as accurate.

I bought an 8lb jug of 4198 a couple years ago to do some volume loading. It worked great in my AR pistol but for the life of me I could not get it to cycle my rifle length gas system 18" AR rifle. I ended up giving 7.5 pounds to a friend. I say gave because he never paid me, LOL

Started using 4198 originally and found it very accurate with 55 gr (mostly what I load). This was in the 80's and as powder reloading manuals have been tuned down over the years, my load is .6 over max (just checked the Hodgdon site). What I tired of was measuring each round since, as others have noted, does not meter well in the RCBS. It will remain my light bullet powder for my bolt gun which I expect to meter each round.

CFE223 has been good to me. Just bought a Dillon and it will be the powder I use in it. Yes, the 4198 has a lower charge weight, but it generally costs a few dollars more than the others. Haven't bothered with a cost analysis (like I'll do with pistol powders sometimes) but bet it makes it closer to CFE. Just looked and with one of my suppliers it is 14% more expensive than CFE. Have used AR Comp as well but not enough to have an opinion. Same with WIN 748.

Their was a run on powder and primers just like the old days during the ammo shortage. I have been looking for alternative powders, but soon everything could be gone. Wife said I had enough bullets, I don't understand!

I used IMR 4198 when I could no longer find VV N120 for 40 grain .223. It worked fine. I started to use IMR 8208 XBR for my AR 15 plinkers. It worked great. I was not able to find any this week. I still scoop out my powder and dump it in the pan. So no metering problems.

I use 4198 to push an assortment of .223 through my 3 bolt action guns. Burns consistently and clean. Back in the (other) bad old days of shortages I had also made up a run of 200 rounds of 55 grain FMJ and put them through a mini-14 without a hiccup.

I'm slowly running out of powder and I'm not really sold on the CFE223 powder although I did have 3 pounds during this last round.
I have been doing so research into the IMR 4198 and I like the fact that I can load more rounds per pound... 18.3 to 19.5g with a Sierra 69g HPBT verses 25g of CFE223...

Anyways I'm searching for the pros and cons of this powder if you are so inclined to share it. Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it.;)

I worked up a load with 21grs of 4198 and a 52gr HPBT Hornady. 5 shots fit in a dime sized hole at 100yds. It's my fav powder for .223. Haven't tried in with 5.56 cases.

Not sure of it's performance with heavier boolitts.

But for the lighter ones, it will do the work wonderfully if:

1. the right barrel
2. the right trigger
3. the right eyes
4. the right trigger finger (or even the left) ;)

bb

I bought an 8lb jug of 4198 a couple years ago to do some volume loading. It worked great in my AR pistol but for the life of me I could not get it to cycle my rifle length gas system 18" AR rifle. I ended up giving 7.5 pounds to a friend. I say gave because he never paid me, LOL

Kyle, it works wonderfully in my 18.5" with rifle gas system. WTF?

I use 52gr and 55gr boolitts. You???

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads