JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's just weird. But from what I read above, it isn't a good powder for 62gr boolitts anyway.

Did I tell you I mashed the end of my trigger finger/joint in the car door before going shooting this last Sunday. It was not a good time. Lots of pain, swelling, discoloration, and some numbness... what a senior moment!!! :oops::oops::oops: Still hurts like a MFr! Looks like I may not get to shoot the IDPA opener in April.

Lawdy man, sounds like you had a bad day, here's s hoping you recover fully.
Not like I haven't done that before but I generally used to abuse my toes with manhole covers...

OUCH! Hope it heals well and quickly. Probably lose the nail though. Have to practice using the "bird".

Thanx!

Yes, I might have to give em the bird. I've shot that way just to see if it could be done... I think it would be ok for plinking, but I've got an IDPA match coming up in early April... I don't think I'd score very well.

Finger feels better tonight... getting some feeling besides pain... still gonna lose that nail, just like you said. :(

Thanx!

Yes, I might have to give em the bird. I've shot that way just to see if it could be done... I think it would be ok for plinking, but I've got an IDPA match coming up in early April... I don't think I'd score very well.

Finger feels better tonight... getting some feeling besides pain... still gonna lose that nail, just like you said. :(
Maybe a good time to try some non dominant handgun training, I'll head your way as my range shut down, just playin-it'll be late spring before I get back over.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest today out in the shop.

I'm doing ok, can't complain, nobody would listen.:D

I have 2) 16 inch 1/8 twist AR's and a 7 1/2" 5.56 pistol so trying to figure out loads for them all
The Bushmaster eats anything I feed it so really want to see what my two builds will do.

Good to see you up and around!!

1/8 twist is what I have, in a slightly longer barrel but I don't think that will matter much, at least not until I get "corrected" by one of the guys that actually knows something about ARs! :D

Mine seems to like the mid=weight bullets, not too light like 40, and not too heavy like 69 or even 62. The flat based 55s that I have shoot just fine, and the 52s HPBT are a dream.

Your shorty I would think would do just fine with 55s also, since you prolly won't be shooting very far. BTW, I use 55 Soft Point factory hunting ammo in mine for Home Defense.

Good to see you up and around!!

1/8 twist is what I have, in a slightly longer barrel but I don't think that will matter much, at least not until I get "corrected" by one of the guys that actually knows something about ARs! :D

Mine seems to like the mid=weight bullets, not too light like 40, and not too heavy like 69 or even 62. The flat based 55s that I have shoot just fine, and the 52s HPBT are a dream.

Your shorty I would think would do just fine with 55s also, since you prolly won't be shooting very far. BTW, I use 55 Soft Point factory hunting ammo in mine for Home Defense.

Thanks for checking on me. It's springtime so out in the shop more so not online much, it's refreshing.:)

The thing with the larger bullets is that I normally would not buy them but I took them in on trade so figured what the hey, I'll try and use them up since I'm getting tired of looking at them in my components locker.
I generally use the 55g FMJ/BT pills for plinking but I do want a heavier HD round like the 60g HP minimum.

Thanks for checking on me. It's springtime so out in the shop more so not online much, it's refreshing.:)

The thing with the larger bullets is that I normally would not buy them but I took them in on trade so figured what the hey, I'll try and use them up since I'm getting tired of looking at them in my components locker.
I generally use the 55g FMJ/BT pills for plinking but I do want a heavier HD round like the 60g HP minimum.

Can't hurt to burn up some powder and boolitts.... it just might work great.

Also think about trying a medium burning powder for the heavier ones... you got a Powder Burn Rate chart? I've got one printed out for my reloading area, but there is a link to online around here somewhere................................

I guess I'm lazy, I use the Hodgdon load data site, just enter in the criteria and it spits out a load...:D
I don't load a lot of calibers, just 40 Smith & Wesson, 300 blackout and 223/556, that's it so not wanting a bunch of powders.

I guess I'm lazy, I use the Hodgdon load data site, just enter in the criteria and it spits out a load...:D
I don't load a lot of calibers, just 40 Smith & Wesson, 300 blackout and 223/556, that's it so not wanting a bunch of powders.

If you're just shootin em up...... long as it goes BANG, you're golden!!!

I shoot a load in my .308 with 4gr of Red Dot and a muzzleloader ball.... I think I can outrun the bullet to the target. And I don't want to shoot more than 25yds cuz I don't think it would get there. But it's FUN!!! :):):)

Caveman, I was reading an article at AccurateShooter.com that said a 1:8 twist is good for boolitts up to 80gr. IDK (Edit: might have been out of a longer barrel on a bolt gun... they have charts for AR too, but I think this one is for bolt action with longer barrel... might wanna use the link to get the AR figures)

Barrel Twist Rate1:14″1:12″1:9″1:8″1:7″ or 1:6.5″
Max Bullet Weight55gr FB65gr FB73gr BT80gr BT90gr BT VLD

Also here is some recommended powders:

Bullet Weight35-50gr50-60gr60-70gr70-80gr
Recommended PowdersH335, N133, RL10XAA 2015, Benchmark, H335, H4895, TACAA 2520, N540, VargetVarget, Reloader 15, N140, N550

Some great info and loading formulas near the bottom: 223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Last Edited:
Thanx!

I too am gonna have to bird shoot before too long...

0CE8D582-63F7-46B2-8B26-66775BB94926.jpeg

Arthritis in my trigger finger...:eek:

Yup, a friend has fingers and toes like that. So bad that it dislocated her big toe and broke the bone up in the foot and she had to have surgery last August. I hope you do better with yours.

I have bone on bone arth, but it doesn't twist like that. Have gout in big toe, but recently had a gout attack in my left thumb/hand that killed my hope to shoot IDPA this month. Bummer!

The tip of the finner I crushed is kinda numb now, many weeks later. Having trouble with the regrowth of the nail I lost. Part of the old nail didn't come off... thanx to Covid restrictions I had to do self surgery but part of the old nail is still there hanging up the new nail growth. Saw the ortho PA, meh, going to the hand surgeon in 6 wks to see if the new nail is viable.

Always some schlit eh?

Yup, a friend has fingers and toes like that. So bad that it dislocated her big toe and broke the bone up in the foot and she had to have surgery last August. I hope you do better with yours.

I have bone on bone arth, but it doesn't twist like that. Have gout in big toe, but recently had a gout attack in my left thumb/hand that killed my hope to shoot IDPA this month. Bummer!

The tip of the finner I crushed is kinda numb now, many weeks later. Having trouble with the regrowth of the nail I lost. Part of the old nail didn't come off... thanx to Covid restrictions I had to do self surgery but part of the old nail is still there hanging up the new nail growth. Saw the ortho PA, meh, going to the hand surgeon in 6 wks to see if the new nail is viable.

Always some schlit eh?

Convo started

I bought an 8lb jug of 4198 a couple years ago to do some volume loading. It worked great in my AR pistol but for the life of me I could not get it to cycle my rifle length gas system 18" AR rifle. I ended up giving 7.5 pounds to a friend. I say gave because he never paid me, LOL
ballistic advantage barrel by chance?

this is why i ask. i had a similar experience with an 18" rifle length.

ballistic advantage barrel by chance?

this is why i ask. i had a similar experience with an 18" rifle length.

I bought it from a gun show, the seller (my uncle) told me it's a White Oak Armory. It does have a rifle length gas system and I chalked it up to that being the issue.

I bought it from a gun show, the seller (my uncle) told me it's a White Oak Armory. It does have a rifle length gas system and I chalked it up to that being the issue.
needs a bigger gas port probably if you want to run imr4198. if you dont, i wouldnt bother.

thats what the issue was in that thread i started. i drilled it out and its been fine ever since. even with lower powered stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top