JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Godson just got his first big game rifle. It's a 30-06 on a Springfield action done in the Weatherby style so popular in the 50s and 60s. Americana at it's best. It's a solid first rifle.

Wouldn't be my choice. His Grandpa bought it for him. And that would be awkward to press the override button over something so petty as opinions on guns. Instead, we will let kid shoot his first rig for a while, and let him play with a few others as opportunity allows. Let him make his own decisions on what works for him.

We are making ammo for it. Starting off with reduced loads, as new shooters and heavy noise/ recoil are not a good combo. My wife shot a 30-06 for 20 years before she ever fires full house loads in cold blood. She had no idea it recoiled until we were practicing (With hunting ammo) for an antelope hunt a couple years ago. By then, she kinda knew the basics. Confidence is a wonderful thing.

The plan was a 150 grain bullet in front of 25 grains of 4759. Makes about 2000fps. For most 30-06 cases, this is kinda a great general purpose load to teach the new shooter how to operate the big game capable rig without the recoil/noise issue. Learning to manage sights/trigger without fear of what's coming next. We have used this load in a lotta rifles for 25 years now with great results.

Powder can ran empty last night, after only a few rounds. Looking at IMR website shows 4759 is discontinued.

The good news is, Accurate makes a similar product that works well. I'll order a few pounds, as we have several rifles that use this formula, and it's a good plan to have some on hand. A 5 pounder should last a long time. I'm confident that with time, I will be happy with the new powder (Unless they discontinue it!).

This is not the first time I have found a load that works well, only to have a component removed from the market. With time, all of us have lost old favorites to newer stuff. I dunno if the newer stuff is better. But it's new to me.

It was a sad day when SR4759 was discontinued. By Hodgdon after they took over marketing IMR powders. They also killed several pistol powders that had been made by DuPont, then IMR. Times change. But it wasn't the first time 4759 had been discontinued. I don't recall the exact time line but it was an older powder, was discontinued for many years, then reintroduced. Maybe that will happen again but i wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I've used 4759 in 8mm Mauser for the same reasons, to have a mild recoiling, comfortable shooting cartridge. Yes, 5744 will sub for it but I prefer 4759 and luckily I have a few pounds left. A couple I bought on close-out when it was discontinued.

IMR 4895 has been used successfully for reduced loads in medium to large centerfire rifle cartridges. Advice is you may reduce 4895 to 3/5 of a charge safely.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top