JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just ran into a problem. im using 130 grn speer HP's. hogdgon website ( which you get redirected to from IMR's website) said max load at 51.0C at 3153 fps i did this and the powder comes all the way to the top of the neck. minimun load is 45.9 at 28XX fps. my Modern reloading book says to use H4895. is there a difference in the two powders? and if so how do i go abouts keepin my IMR powder and using it? Thanks for your help.

The VMD of both powders is the same (.0728) I would suggest rechecking your load data or calibrate the scale.

What cal. are you loading?

The only difference between them that I have heard is that one has a little faster burn rate. I belive it to be the Hogdon. Just what I have heard. You should start out about 10% less when using Hodgon then work up from there. But like I said this is what I had been told. Good luck.

They do LOOk different. Same size stick but the IMR4895 is a black color and H4895 is a more brown color about the same as Varget, and it smells like Varget (Ahhhh!). I suspect the Hodgdon powders are using a unique coating that may cause it to have slightly different burn characteristics than the IMR.

If you look at load data there will be some differences when both are listed. Although the same is true of the identical powders HP38/W231 and H110/W296.

It's probably safe to begin with the start weight of the other powder and work up toard that max, but don;t just assume you can start with the same weight you used of one powder with the other one.

I had the same question about the difference between H4895 and IMR4895. I was wanting to work up some reduced recoil loads for my sons 7mm-08. Hodgon has a recipe for using the H4895, but doesn't reference the IMR4895. I sent them an email and their response is that there is no published data for the IMR4895 in a reduced recoil round. I can find the IMR4895 locally, but not the H4895. Anyone have any experience with this?

Caution should always be used when changing powders, even if the powders use the same numbers. ie imr4831 & h4831 If the one shows a load for what you want and you have the other reduse the load about 10% and work up from there. Better safe then boom. This is my personal view and others my disagree with it. Good luck

My question as a long time reloader: What are you looking at a MAX load for?
They are there as the LIMIT and using whatever powder you have on hand, you should be working up your load for your components, rifle(function and accuracy), and conditions.
I personally never shoot loadings at or close to max as they are not required in this life, and could lead to the next!
Also, "c" loads are compressed and totally a pain in the you know where.
Use another powder!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads