JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the gun store to get some powder to reload 223's but they didn't have any of the powders that I was looking for so I picked up some of the IMR 4198. Are there anyone else use this powder and how do you like it. Also how many grains are you using.

I am using 55 grain bullets. I do have a few 50 grain bullets. The chart that I am look at is saying to use 18.8 to 20.4 for the 55 grain bullet. What do you think about that load.

Just an FYI, when I first started reloading, the first pound of rifle powder I bought was IMR4198... it never allowed my AR-15 to cycle. This is a very fast powder, and if it works at all, you will be using very light bullets. Also, do not go above max trying to make something cycle.

Just an FYI, when I first started reloading, the first pound of rifle powder I bought was IMR4198... it never allowed my AR-15 to cycle. This is a very fast powder, and if it works at all, you will be using very light bullets. Also, do not go above max trying to make something cycle.

I would tend to agree. IMR/H4198 is a little on the fast side for 223 AR with a CAR length gas. Short barrel and pistol gas and it would probably be a pretty good choice of powders.

Oh, things WILL cycle, just not in the desired manner.

Lol. Funny. 4198/RE7 are some of the only powders that will cycle my 458 SOCOM AR reliably.

I have loaded 10 rounds with the 4198 but havent had a chance to test them out. I use 19 grains of powder. This powder doesn't meter as well as the H335 powder. Most of the time I was getting 19 grains and then sometimes I would get 19.2 grains.

Sounds about right, 4198 is a long grain stick powder. It performs great in 7.62x39, and any small-for-bore case capacities. I imagine it would probably work great in 300AAC also.

As far as working with SBR systems... I havn't had much luck, I did a bunch of load dev for a law enforcement training load using 4198 for their short barreled guns. I couldn't make it work.

I got a chance to shoot the rounds loaded with the IMR4198, 19.0 grains. Some people were having trouble it cycling in their AR15, but I didn't. The load was pretty accuracte. I just now loaded some with 20 grains. I had some rounds load with H235, 22.8 grains and they shot about 1 1/2 inches higher. As far as the accuracy they both seem to be about the same.

I got a chance to shoot the rounds loaded with the IMR4198, 19.0 grains. Some people were having trouble it cycling in their AR15, but I didn't. The load was pretty accuracte. I just now loaded some with 20 grains. I had some rounds load with H235, 22.8 grains and they shot about 1 1/2 inches higher. As far as the accuracy they both seem to be about the same.

You have a chrono to run those 4198 loads across? If the POI is 1.5 inches low, it sounds like they might be running a little slow out of the muzzle???

I guess I didn't explain my self good enought. The 4198 was right on target. The H335 shot higher. I was only shooting 50 yards, because I didn't want to walk so far to check the target.

I guess I didn't explain my self good enought. The 4198 was right on target. The H335 shot higher. I was only shooting 50 yards, because I didn't want to walk so far to check the target.

Something is still a little wonky though. Either your H335 loads are hot and high or the 4198 loads are low and slow. As long as you aren't over pressure and the rifle cycles and you can get a consistent zero, more power to ya!

For 55gr bullets 22.8 seems pretty low. Same with the 4198.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top