JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lots of brass in tubs and looking for a better way to sort by caliber.. Didnt see anything on Google search beyond a set of plastic strainers which seemed over priced..
Was thinking a few different screen sizes might work. Anybody tried anything home made??

I've thought about trying to make one similar to the camdex but that's about as far as it's gone. Definitely wouldn't pay the price tag for one. Look up brass sorter on YouTube and you see some nice ones that are home built.

If you are thinking a smaller scale I have always thought about buying the three shell sorter trays that places like Dillon sell but I'm also too cheap to buy those so far.

It takes up a little space but I made this out of some scrap pine I had laying around. I put my 223, 45, 40, 9, and 380 in this. The lid comes off so I can pour it in the top. I put the processed stuff in plastic drawers. It will hold roughly 10000 cases in each compartment. The bottom is angled to the front so the brass slides out into the trays.

20160606_225405.jpg

My 8 and 9 year old grand daughters work great. I can power them for at least an hour with some chocolate milk and a couple cookies. They have no trouble sorting .380 from 9mm or any other pistol caliber I reload. If they find an odd ball they set it aside.

Works great until the child labor guys find out. LOL

I seem to recall as a kid having a bank where as you chucked coins into it, they rolled down a ramp with steadily-increasing slot sizes dropping them down into tubes, dimes first, then pennies, then nickels and quarters at the farthest end.

I'm not sure you could make it so that brass would keep rolling with the much deeper slots required, or keep 9mm from dropping down the .380 hatch, but the basic idea might be worth looking into.

I seem to recall as a kid having a bank where as you chucked coins into it, they rolled down a ramp with steadily-increasing slot sizes dropping them down into tubes, dimes first, then pennies, then nickels and quarters at the farthest end.

I'm not sure you could make it so that brass would keep rolling with the much deeper slots required, or keep 9mm from dropping down the .380 hatch, but the basic idea might be worth looking into.

Lots of DIY sorters on u tube that do what you describe, but all require some fab skills or investment in components, with the best designs you can dump in the brass, walk away, and let the sorter do it's thing.

With most all reloaders being frugal (cheap), we tend to try to "repurpose" something we have already have (i.e. car polish for tumbling), and even balk at $40 for sorter/sifters.

I'm a life long tinkerer, envisioning DIY stuff all the time, but somethings I just buy.
I sort using the method in the vid I posted, because it's stuff I already have.:rolleyes:
My name is Ken, and I'm a cheap azz reloader...
just sayin'
:D

Shell Sorter 3 Pack : 3 PACK | Brownells

and if you won the lottery:

Last Edited:
I havent found one that you can walk away from LOL . I build a bind instead of a feeder, had rollers built, they need to be straight. the cases will fall through rollers into buckets. attach varible speed motor and turn one roller with a cog gear on bottom end , and make some noise.

Lots of DIY sorters on u tube that do what you describe, but all require some fab skills or investment in components, with the best designs you can dump in the brass, walk away, and let the sorter do it's thing.

With most all reloaders being frugal (cheap), we tend to try to "repurpose" something we have already have (i.e. car polish for tumbling), and even balk at $40 for sorter/sifters.

I'm a life long tinkerer, envisioning DIY stuff all the time, but somethings I just buy.
I sort using the method in the vid I posted, because it's stuff I already have.:rolleyes:
My name is Ken, and I'm a cheap azz reloader...
just sayin'
:D

Shell Sorter 3 Pack : 3 PACK | Brownells

and if you won the lottery:
This is way cool but beyond my needs or means... I probably have 2, 5 gallons full maybe 3

The one I used had a screen small enough for .22lr to fall through and it then dropped the brass into tracks that had a slit of increasing size down the length of the track so first 9mm brass would fall through then 40 than 45 it worked alright but there were a lot of issues with nesting of smaller cases into larger cases plus odd calibers falling into random boxes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top