JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I know about the 335 and 223 powders, but in these times of psychotic buying of all things firearms, even if you don't have reloading equipment, what are some alternatives?

I found some load data for H380, but would rather use that in my .308 or maybe some -06 loads...So other suggestions? I have all the ingredients to make 1000 rounds, just no freaking powder.

Get your hands on a copy of Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition. The database in it has many, many, powders listed for .223 for all common bullets.

Some may not be the best due to gas port pressure issues but they work better than just holding your rifle up and shouting "BANG" when you have no ammo:cool:

Get your hands on a copy of Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition. The database in it has many, many, powders listed for .223 for all common bullets.

Some may not be the best due to gas port pressure issues but they work better than just holding your rifle up and shouting "BANG" when you have no ammo:cool:

There you go making sense...

I dont have a lot of time to "get out" And I know I can order it, I just get sidetracked and

I have slugs ranging from 50gr to 77gr. I'll eventually get a book.

BL-(C)2, Tac, WW 748, also AA 2230
or IMR 4895 (have heard 3031 as well)

Ramshot X-terminator Never tried.. heard good things.

Picked up a can of N135 this weekend and going to give that a try.

Hope that helps. I prefere H335... But hard to get right now!!

Are you loading for an AR, or a bolt action? I have used H-4198, H-4895, Varget, H-335, CFE-223, IMR-4895, IMR-4064, IMR-8208XBR, Accurate 2230, 2460, 4064, 2200, and 2015; Ramshot TAC and Reloder 15 in my bolt action .223's over the years with bullet weights from 40 to 55 gr. IF you are loading for an AR, I can vouch for Varget, CFE-223, TAC, Accurate 2200 and H-4895. Of course, your rifle may prefer one of them over the others, but I think any of them will probably give adequate results. The only one I didn't particularly care for was H-4198. Velocity was low, accuracy mediocre and it didn't work well through the powder measure. My favorites are the ball powders, TAC, Accurate 2460, Accurate 2200, Hodgdon's CFE-223, and I also had good results from everybody's favorite, H-335. I just think TAC is cleaner.

Sierra has published load data online for AR platform. Here you go:
http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

Good info but dated. Doesn't include a lot of the "New" powders for .223 that have joined the market in the last few years. AR-Comp and CFE223 are just a couple.

One way to uncover some of the newer powders, that may not have attracted "hoarders" yet, is to visit the Powder Mfr's websites and look for the ones that are indicated as "Great for the AR" etc.

It's the old powders for military cartridges that disappeared first.

Here is an old trick/tip I picked up years ago (1997) It's from an article that was published in a well know guns/reloading magazine

Now, while I would not reccomend this practice to a novice I can say from experience that it does work

DO NOT SUBSTITUTE PISTOL OR SHOTGUN POWDER

The problem.....You have a bunch of powder but no published load data for the cartridge you want to load

Find a CURRENT Burn-Rate Chart (it has changed since '97)

Locate the powder you want to use on the chart

Look at the powders that are 5-6 lines ABOVE ( FASTER) Than the one you want to use

You can safely use the STARTING Load for this powder in your cartridge with the proper bullet weight

Again, I would only reccomend this to an experienced hand-loader..Back in '08-'09 when everything dried up I
used this method on a few of my 'wild-cats' with very good results

I just used this method for a 222 Rem. Mag. Improved.....I had data for H335 but wanted to try some RL 10X
None of my manuals even list this cartridge let alone data for it...Looking at a CURRENT Burn-Rate Chart
I found that RL10X was indeed 5 lines ABOVE (FASTER) than H335

I loaded up 5 rounds with a starting load and all worked with out flaw and fairly accurate
I have a load now using around 2 Gr. more that is more accurate than my original H335 Load

Just Be Careful! Start Low and Work Up Slowly....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top