JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was reading this thread the other day and going through my load notebook. Figured I'd blend my best results with mixed brass and minimal concern to other variables. See if it really mattered. I knew it doesn't from reading notes from way back, but I have really used range brass for precision stuff in some time. Now I'm second guessing all the time I spend sorting brass by headstamp!
Being still fairly new, I have such limited data with this but with the recipe for my Barnes 55g TTSX bullet I have some Federal brass stamped FC21 and some FC18 and havent seen any difference (or improvement) in my group size and I have kept them sorted and compared. I have thoughts about weighing the brass but not confident it will make a difference to sort by brass weight.
My guess right now is TTXS recipe is what it is with the rest of the components. I bought some new powder to try, CFE223 and after deer season will start over with that using the Federal brass and some new Nosler brass simultaniously working up ladders with both. It may be that the TTSX bullet needs something different, or maybe its all I will get for a hunting bullet accuracy with this rifle.

I wouldn't call the Barnes a accuracy bullet though and think you'd be much better served by a flat base varmint bullet, that said I would expect you should be able to do better than you are.
If I cant get the accuracy I need from a Barnes bullet I will try another, even a lead cup and core if thats what it takes. I dont want a varmit bullet though as my side goal is to have a backup deer rifle just because. I might hunt cougars with this next year if I can get a good accurate medium game bullet to work.

That's why I use the Barnes for calling, it makes a decent all purpose bullet. It won't blow up a coyote, but will expand well if a large cat comes in. If you can find any, the Speer Gold dots are a really good multi purpose bullet. I use them in 6.5 grendel and they are very accurate, and expand very well on deer. I think someone has mentioned Hammer bullets already but check them as well. Extremely easy to get to shoot VERY well and I like their approach to expansion vs Barnes. They are designed so the tip breaks into 4 pieces for multiple wound channels, and the base to continue on, penetrating deep. Good luck, keep shooting and trying new things, those groups will tighten up!

I think someone has mentioned Hammer bullets already but check them as well. Extremely easy to get to shoot VERY well and I like their approach to expansion vs Barnes.
It might have been me, I purchased their 60g bullets to try when I get back to this. If the Hammer bullets dont group better then I will look for a traditional cup and core. One of the problems with using the monolitichs in the AR is you cant take advantage of the longer heavier bullets due to magazine limiting the COAL, or I would have bought the heavier Hammers to take advantage of my 7 twist barrel.

Being still fairly new, I have such limited data with this but with the recipe for my Barnes 55g TTSX bullet I have some Federal brass stamped FC21 and some FC18 and havent seen any difference (or improvement) in my group size and I have kept them sorted and compared. I have thoughts about weighing the brass but not confident it will make a difference to sort by brass weight.
My guess right now is TTXS recipe is what it is with the rest of the components. I bought some new powder to try, CFE223 and after deer season will start over with that using the Federal brass and some new Nosler brass simultaniously working up ladders with both. It may be that the TTSX bullet needs something different, or maybe its all I will get for a hunting bullet accuracy with this rifle.
I've had really good results with CFE223. It's becoming one of my go to powders as of late.

If you can find any, the Speer Gold dots are a really good multi purpose bullet. I use them in 6.5 grendel and they are very accurate, and expand very well on deer. I think someone has mentioned Hammer bullets already but check them as well. Extremely easy to get to shoot VERY well and I like their approach to expansion vs
I assume you've shopped around for decent prices on these, at least for your last batch(s)..
Any chance you'd mind sharing your sources? I hate wasting too much time looking everywhere. But I usually end up doing that anyway. My secret sources are sgammo for reloading bullets (I think not many know they sell reloading components) and everyone's standard not so secret midsouth which always seems to have decent prices. ArmOrAlly (old monmouth) is my 2nd secret spot.

Like you I'm looking for great accuracy out of my Grendel and haven't been able to spend as much time trying new things as I'd like, so being able to cut to the chase would be greatly appreciated. I'll have to try those speer gold dots.

I've had really good results with CFE223. It's becoming one of my go to powders as of late.
I started stocking up to handload for the AR a year ago and couldn't even find powder, then one day A2520 showed up randomly somewhere so I bought 6lbs on the spot and good thing cause when that store sold out there was none again till this summer where I finally bought the CFE. I got similarly lucky with finding primers but didnt get those until earlier this year. Its been a slow crawl but I look forward to the CFE.

The gold dots seem (just a guess) like they are a once a year production run, they seem to come in stock at all the distributors at once and sell out quickly and then not be in stock until next year. I have placed in stock alerts at a bunch of sellers, but have not been able to buy any in about a year. Midway, Midsouth, Powder Valley, and Precision Reloading are ones that pop in my head right now, as well as the ones you mentioned.
2520 is one of my favorite Grendel powders, cfe223 is probably my most used 223 powder. Components are still a pain for me, hoping it'll continue to get better!

It might have been me, I purchased their 60g bullets to try when I get back to this. If the Hammer bullets dont group better then I will look for a traditional cup and core. One of the problems with using the monolitichs in the AR is you cant take advantage of the longer heavier bullets due to magazine limiting the COAL, or I would have bought the heavier Hammers to take advantage of my 7 twist barrel.

I missed this yesterday, and just thought I'd mention it. Steve from Hammer Bullets is very helpful and available through email to help with load development-If you have any questions about best powders or bullet recommendations for your cartridge shoot him a message! I think you will be more impressed with mono's if you run a much lighter bullet than you think you need, or normally use in cup and core, speed kills with mono's as you don't need to worry about the bullet being pushed too hard. For example in my 7mm Rem mag I shoot Berger 184's, but in the Hammer hunters, I shoot the 143 gr. I was considering going heavier for Moose but Steve assured me that he would be extremely surprised if I could recover a 143 in a Moose out to 500 yards- he would expect complete pass through. Also another tip and bonus with Hammer bullets- since they are basically made to order on CNC, they can make bullets with a shallower hollow point so they are more fur friendly. You can basically have the same load with two bullets, one fur friendly, one big game friendly.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top