JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so ive had my handgun for a few months now and i still dont have a CHL, nor do i carry at this time but i plan to go through the course to get my CHL sometime soon. i was thinking of looking into courses that help improve skill and tactics for general practice after getting my CHL.

i have been around firearms for most of my life and was taught how to handle and use them by my grandfather who was in the navy for some time and a hunter his whole life. i feel as far as being safe and respecting the firearm that i have a strong grasp on the basics. i would however like to become much better at firing and firing forms. i feel confident with my ability to handle and fire a weapon as well as fire accurately. i dont get as much practice with my handgun as i would like to but i feel that with some classes i could improve through knowledge to help supplement actually going out and shooting. does anyone know of a good course worth taking that would help me with this? or even a coach that can help to improve skills?

I took a tatical training class that was put on by Oregon Firearms Academy. The class was held at Tri-County down in Sherwood.

Look down in the spoonsor section. I understand they have classes on a regular basis.

I would recommend the class....learned quite a bit...then go out and practice!!!

Threat Dynamics in Tualatin has some great training. I go there about 5 to 6 times a year for scenarios.

Find a good Marine Corps veteran who has done a tour in Afghanistan or Iraq. See if they will work with you. There is also a book, written by a woman for women, but I have found it is a great read for men in learning situational analysis and threat analysis. It is called "The Cornered Cat".

There are just too many resources both passive and active out there to remain uneducated and untrained.

As a family we usually train at least 2 times per month. Lots of target shooting, different scenarios and shooting techniques. We don't need much of an excuse to go shooting, we have our own range, so that makes it easier than most.

Training, if you can get or afford it. Then after the training, if you are able dry fire practice works very well. The only reason I say practice after training, is you don't want to teach yourself bad habits. There are some good video's on YouTube that offer basic and advanced skills.

My second piece of advice is shoot as much as you can. I gave my wife a Browning Buckmark for her birthday a few years ago and we've spent hour on the range with it. Until lately it's been cheap to shoot, way cheaper then my 9mm. While the Buckmark and the Glock share nothing in common, shooting the Buckmark helps me hone the basics, which transfer to my Glock and has improved my shooting immensely.

Weight training can improve your shooting skills a lot. Take some 8 lb. Weights and hold them out in front of you. Try to get up to 3 minutes. It will take a while.

Also, shoot slow and methodical. Shoot 3 shots, see where they land, shoot 3 again. Etc..
Look at a Target decoder or whatever its called.

Watch your breathing.

Have fun!

If ammo wasn't so expensive lately I would suggest shooting IDPA or IPSC. Nothing helps like shooting 400-500 rounds a month in a competitive environment.

If you have a .22 pistol or .22 conversion, I'd suggest Speed Steel a TCGC. Centerfire is also allowed. You can work from a holster and engage multiple targets at various distances. Its timed which simulates firing under stress.

Also check out NSSF on you tube. Great practice techniques from Doug Koenig.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top