JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TBH I'm down to 3 AR's. I had 6 at my peak but my interests have shifted to some longer distance shooting. But I'll always have a few AR's laying around!

15087158863022070693509.jpg one of these.

Same answers already given. More Left Hand upper stuff. Factory LH in 6.5 Grendel. LH AR10. Maybe a slightly re designed larger diameter AR15 top end upper stuff including larger AR15 bolt ends for the bigger calibers. Eyeball and compare an AR10 bolt group and an AR15 bolt group.

Us Lefties must hang together or we will hang separately. Bill Ruger never answers my letters. :)

It depends on what you want to use it for.

But going from a DI to a piston improves the reliability IMO. Lacking that, then a melonited barrel and improved coatings/surface treatments in the action and on the BCG.

Going to some 6mm variant is an improvement. But for SHTF, I would only do that if the cartridge were adopted by the military and everybody else followed suite, which probably won't happen.

A good trigger.

I would not use the stock GI mags. If I were redesigning the rifle, I would make the mag lips and the rest of the mag much more durable, along with other mag improvements.

A buffer/recoil system that is not in the buttstock may be an improvement if done right.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head that keeps more or less with the original design. All of these are available now in some form.

If I were to totally change it, I would not have an action with so much bearing surface between the BCG and the receiver.

Have the industry (including military) restandardize on the Geissele Super 42 (short-stock/CQB) and Vltor A5 (long-stock/general purpose) buffer systems.

Have DoD establish TDP standards (as they have Rifle and Carbine) for Pistol, Mid, and Intermediate (this is a newer notch between Mid and Rifle) gas systems and 16" barrels; building on this, Open Source the DOD M16 and M4 TDP's and make those the Industry Standard (other than a new no-third-pin TDP for semi-only lowers). Also, reincorporate the various refinements and improvements Diemaco/Colt Canada made for the C7/C8 programs back into the TDP.

Make the SureFire long-stroke bolt carrier (really, it mostly consists of a shorter-length gas key top-tube) Industry Standard.

The problem i see is thst there is to many places for moisture to get under the stocks. I use mine for around the farm and whether it's raining sleeting or sunshine. Maybe it's just me.

I have to agree with getting rid of the current buffer tube. Sig has a good idea but maybe make the recoil spring similar to an AK? We need more LH made. Piston driven only. Better angle grip. Better triggers. Oh heck most of that is done with aftermarket parts. o_O

Side charging handle or forward charging handle. Monolithic upper / rail assembly. PDW style collapsing stock option... pretty sure stuff already available.

Best way to improve the AR though would be repealing the NFA so that I could walk into Sportsmans Warehouse or Northwest Armory and drop $1000 on a select fire 14" gun and then maybe a suppressor and M203 to accessorize it with. Fun switches improve almost any gun...

Side charging handle or forward charging handle. Monolithic upper / rail assembly. PDW style collapsing stock option... pretty sure stuff already available.

Best way to improve the AR though would be repealing the NFA so that I could walk into Sportsmans Warehouse or Northwest Armory and drop $1000 on a select fire 14" gun and then maybe a suppressor and M203 to accessorize it with. Fun switches improve almost any gun...
It's nice to day dream.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top