JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Understood, like I said I may be the odd man out, but any 1911 I own will be in 45acp.

Hmmm, that's what I keep coming back to as well. I also like the CZ 75B. All metal 9mm with subtle overtones of the 1911. :rolleyes:
Come range day it seems always to be the 1911s that get the trip. Go figure ....

I bought a Para Expert 9mm a few years ago mostly because the price was low, there was a $100 rebate, and I didn't not want one sooo... why not.

It's fun, reliable, and accurate. It's a whole lotta gun for 8 rds of 9mm but that's what makes it such a pleasure at the range.

Like most people here I prefer .45 in a 1911. The CZ platform and Beretta 92 series (as well as myriad 2 and 3G S&W autos) are also good choices for a "traditional" (ie: not plastic) 9mm shooter.

and for letting women and children shoot a 1911 (which I believe is why the germans invented the 9 :cool:).

And old men with bad arthritis!!!

I switched to a 9mm 1911 due to age/arthritis and just love it. I can now go to the range and shoot 100-150 rounds without a lot of pain.

Even though I reload, I can get a much softer, reliable load in 9mm than in 45acp.

But, if it weren't for my physical limitations I would have stayed with 45 - bigger holes are better holes :rolleyes:

After many years of shooting USPSA and IDPA with .45, I finally made the decision to pass mine down to the SIL. He loves it. I've been shooting IDPA with a G34 but have never shot as well with it compared to my P14. I missed that sweetheart and just bought another. :oops::oops::oops: Pain is on the way...

BTW, with an 11lb spring, my reload .45 was 230gr RN with 2.2grs of TiteWad pushing it at low velocity somewhere in the 600-700fps range (I forget). It's a powder puff load but still hard on bad hands after 100-150rds.

I have a Dan Wesson Pointman 9, and like the 1911 in 9mm. Real soft shooting and narrower frame/grip than a double stack 9mm for someone with smaller hands. I also like the CZ and BHP platforms, and am a fan on the 9mm round for general plinking/target shooting. Still enjoy the 1911s in 45 also.

Mine is a blued Colt Government Model Series 80. No mods, nothing special. As others have said, the heft of the gun precludes much recoil, very civilized to shoot. Single stack magazine capacity is adequate for my purposes. I like the 1911 platform. I have two .45's (Colt & Remington), two 10mm (Colt and Ruger), two .38 Super (both Colts), and the one 9mm. I had another Colt Series 80 9mm in stainless but moved it along earlier this year, thinking one 9mm was enough. Really what happened is when Colt made a run of these, I wanted blued but could only find stainless so that's what I bought. Later, a blued gun came along so I bought that and let the stainless go.

Back when Colt was making the original Series 70's you could get one in 9mm but they weren't common. They had a flared muzzle barrel that I believe was made thusly so it could use the .45 bushing. The newer ones like I've got have a slim barrel and smaller hole bushing. I regretted not having bought a Series 70 9mm "in the day." Circa 2014, Colt made a run of Gov't Model 9mm. That's when I bought mine. They don't make Gov't Model anything now, at least according to their website. So no new blued 9mm and I don't think they made all that many of those. I've looked at serial numbers of 9mm Colt Gov't Model from that run that come up on Gunbroker and they are in a fairly narrow range, maybe 3,000 or so but I have no science for that, just an semi-educated guess.

At present, Colt still have two models of 1911 in 9mm and they are both Competition Models. Which don't attract me. I don't like the fancy sights, and I don't go for the fancy grips, long beavertail, etc. And both stainless. But to each his own.

My blued Colt 9mm has been reliable on those few occasions that I've taken it out. Except the last time, when I had some hand loads that I used Berry plated flat nose bullets. Which aren't really flat, kinda cone shaped. But a fairly blunt cone, not a pointy one like a true conical bullet. The 9mm Colt didn't like that, would cock the second cartridge on an angle in the mag and wouldn't load it to battery. Same day, I also had a Walter P-38 with me, and same story, it did the same exact thing. But later the Smith & Wesson 639 and 59 and my Glock 19 fired them all without a hiccup.

For those that don't want to spring for a Para or build out a Caspian - Ruger makes a 9mm 1911.

I really love my plastic fantastics - but if you gave me a reliable 9mm 1911, it would certainly be a mainstay carry gun for me. My "ideal" 9mm 1911 carry would be a compact "CCO" or "Combat Carry Officer" model - that being a Commander length slide on an Officer frame, maybe even in double stack flavor, which would net around a 14 or 15+1 gun, and if the flat mag spring trend catches on, maybe those become 16 or 18 rounders? Give me a crisp 4.5lb trigger with little to no creep, a flat metal MSH, semi-extended ambi safeties, slim G10 grip scales, nice 30lpi checkering on the front strap and the MSH, and something similar to the Trijicon HD front sight and a plain black serrated rear with a ledge / claw. Maybe make it kinda sexy with a matte black frame, polished stainless levers and the slide with bead blasted top and polished flats. Round it out with a semi-extended beavertail grip safety and a skeletonized hammer. Not that I've put too much thought into this gun :rolleyes:

9mm 1911's and P35 / Hi Powers are just damn fun shooters, very low recoil, and a silly fun way to spend time slinging lead.

I run a commander sized DW Guardian in 9mm. I bought it to be my workhorse - I train with it (~300 rounds/week) and carry it. It's eaten everything without fail, sans some light recoil jhp ammo (I have tested just about every fmj and jhp I can get my hands on). No loss there.

Would highly recommend.

I have a Springfield target II 9mm. Great gun. 11,000 rounds through it so it is well broken in. Very accurate and easy to shoot. Like others have said, there's limited recoil. It's stainless and the gun is scratched to hell but it's built like a tank. I prefer Glocks for EDC but this makes a good carry piece.

For me, this replaced the need for a 38 Super. Almost as powerful but ammo is a hundred times more available.

I would highly recommend you get one.

I've an ATI 9mm Commander sized, all steel 1911. One of the softest shooting 9mm handguns I've ever shot, even with my "hot" loads in it.
I'll probably never EDC it unless everything else I own is burnt up in a house fire but it's a fun range gun. Capacity and weight being it's downfall.

My 9mm Colt 1911:

r2aM6Ir.jpg

Only thing not stock about it is the arched mainspring housing, which I prefer. I change that on all my 1911's that don't come that way.

Been thru a "few" 1911's, many of them Combat Commanders. Had one in 9mm for awhile, but sidelined it when I picked up a couple BHP's. It was fine for what it was... heavy, under-powered cartridge for the gun, boxy to carry compared to other 9mms. Sold that CC 9mm Colt to a miner I was working with who needed it (he said). Bought another BHP. Anymore my carry .45 auto is a Glock 21, which, plastic and all will likely outlive me, and it is my intention to hang on to it to the end. I do have a "Wilsonised" Colt CC, which is a nice piece but it is a safe-queen these last years. Doubtful that I will get another 1911, Colt or otherwise, 9mm or otherwise, in this lifetime. No real "need" for one as the new breed of plastic phantastiques weigh less and do what I need them to do. Thought about getting something in the .357SIG after shooting a buddy's pistol but waited to see if it was going to catch on.. in spite of it's power, it just hasnt so the .40 will do for now. MAYBE a 10mm someday!.

My 9mm Colt 1911:

View attachment 638588

Only thing not stock about it is the arched mainspring housing, which I prefer. I change that on all my 1911's that don't come that way.
I don't know why arched MSHs get so much shade from real pistoleros... it's like they're as distasteful as an idiot scratch.

I prefer them. I also use the size L backstrap (on polymer guns) and the largest palm swells when available.

*sigh* I guess I'll never be a cool kid... none of my stuff has threaded barrels either.

I don't know why arched MSHs get so much shade from real pistoleros... it's like they're as distasteful as an idiot scratch.

I prefer them. I also use the size L backstrap (on polymer guns) and the largest palm swells when available.

*sigh* I guess I'll never be a cool kid... none of my stuff has threaded barrels either.

Sounds like we're on the same page. I have large hands, the arched mainspring housing gives me a little more support on the heel of my hand.

I have a couple of mid-sized Glocks, no "spare grip parts" came with them. I did add a little finger extension on the mags, I like having a rest for the pinky.

No threaded barrels here.

Well, my few bits......
My first gun was a Spingfield 1911 Mil-spec, now sold on here. I Learned to love the 1911 platform and movies made me want a 45 ACP. Over the years, i started to care less about the 45 and more about the 9mm. I own 2 DWs in 45 and 3 in 9mm, and a SIG in 357 SIG, I wish to sell all my 45s! Shooting the 1911 in 9mm is soft and fun and mostly a range toy, as others have said.

Look for a used RIA, I have nothing but good things about them but it you think you must have a higher priced 1911, used DWs can be found on gunbroker for a great deal and rather clean, too.

If you like 9mm and love 1911s, why not have one?

It is better to do your own thing most times. As long as anything you do keeps you "grey," if you know what I mean. I will never pay for a stamp so I have not need for a threaded barrel.

It is better to do your own thing most times. As long as anything you do keeps you "grey," if you know what I mean. I will never pay for a stamp so I have not need for a threaded barrel.

I was thinking about this a little more. When I was a lot younger (back in 1970's), the thing of the moment to do with 1911's was to get rid of the flat MSH and change over to the arched. Meaning, guys would take fine, old blued true 1911's (you know, like pre-war guns) slip out the flat housing and replace with arched. Maybe these things go in trends.

Probably because the 1911 had a flat msh to begin with. The arched one came with the 1911 A1 in the early to mid '30s. So I'm guessing back in the day when people had the old original WWII 1911 (that were first issued in WWI) guns, the thing to do was change them out for the "better" arched msh.

9mm 1911's, particularly in all steel, govt/5" flavor are in a word - fun. Everything you love about the 1911, but with about 1/3 the recoil (if shooting standard pressure 115-type range stuff), and at a considerably lower cost ammo wise. As others have mentioned, Springfield has several different variations that cover just about all the bases, many with fully supported barrel ramps.

For those paying attention, many (most?) 1911 makers have stepped up their 9mm variants, for good reason.

They make take a little more tinkering with the recoil spring (due to lower recoil energy) and you might need to play with mags a bit (The 'Springfield' mags with the little 'pre-ramp' at the front often run well). But other than that, great guns, particularly if shooting at speed.

Boss

Jan 17, 2020 Olympia 2A Rights Rally:eek::

Someone else to consider for governor:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads