JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So why the hell would the Doc think the Keto diet would spike cholesterol ??? I know a few of my Coworkers are doing that diet for a while now and they are showing some enviable response, as in losing weight. This is the first I ever heard that it may be bad for cholesterol.
My wife and daughter hated the idea when I said I was starting.. they said they heard the same thing.
My doctor was all for it.

Just had a doctor visit last Monday for an old military injury that was flaring up. The doc remarked that I was down 20lbs since last visit. I told her I had been doing Keto off and on for a few months.

She freaked and said I needed to have my cholesterol checked and a full blood work up done. Lectured me on how bad Keto is. Told her I eat mostly salads and then bacon and eggs for breakfast with the occasional steak for dinner.

Had my blood drawn on Tuesday and the results came in Thursday. Cholesterol actually went down and everything else perfect.

Stupid doctors...

I was never able to lose weight until I stopped listening to them and started listening to my body. My body decided that keto is what makes it happy. Other people's mileage may vary.

BTW - did you know that when you eat minimal carbs those "bad" fats get metabolized quickly and don't get a chance to clog up your arteries? It's because the liver will process carbs first before it will process lipids. Pisses my doctor off that it a) works and B) all my vitals improve. She tried to bring up the "China Study" at one point, but I'd already read it and pointed out the obvious flaws (really, people doing physical activity in a fresh air clean water environment were healthier than people who had sedentary occupations breathing polluted air and drinking water laced with heavy metals? Whoda thunk it?).

Strict adherence to diets works to reduce weight until the diet is halted.

Then, old eating habits come back into play and weight is regained.

Fad diets are just that...

I've found if I don't eat monstrous loads of groceries i.e., I can eat anything I want, but not sit down and pig out and my weight will stay in check.

I've found if I don't eat monstrous loads of groceries i.e., I can eat anything I want, but not sit down and pig out and my weight will stay in check.

Agreed - keto is not a fad for me, it's a lifestyle choice. When I don't eat carbs I don't want them. My energy levels don't fluctuate and I don't get tired after meals. I allow myself a free weekend every month or two in case there is something I want to get out of my system and during peak cherry season I eat the like they are going out of style. I also partake in Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinners, but outside of that I'm quite happy with meat and salad vegetables.

Weight is not merely based on calorie math. I was always overweight, but my friends were always surprised and mentioned that I didn't over eat when we would travel, camp, backpack, etc., where they could see firsthand what and how much I ate. My problem was that I was eating the low fat high carb diet they try to get fat people to eat. My body would simply process the carbs and store it as fat and I'd have to push myself because I had no energy. Now 2/3 of my calories come from fat and the remainder mostly protein. I eat when my body needs fuel and it's actually hard to get my daily 2,100 calories in.

So your diet is limiting the amount of calories you eat?

My diet is limiting the amounts of carbs I eat. Not really a "fad" diet anymore than yours is.

Ooooooh, I said a 'bad' words: Fad diets!

(pppsssstttt, hey buddy, come over here in the alley, yeah over here, I gotta new fad diet, whoops, I mean life style choice for ya. Quit lookin around, act normal. It'll only cost ya a little moola, ya ok, I got others, south park, hmmm, maybe it's south beach diet I mean 'lifestyle choice', cabbage soup, hey, I gotta million of em, ah lifestyle choices)

I tried and Impossible burger at Red Robin on Sunday. Seemed like any other burgers to me.

Of course I had onions, tomato, lettuce, sauce etc.

I have not liked the other "veggie burgers" I have tried.

I tried and Impossible burger at Red Robin on Sunday. Seemed like any other burgers to me.

Of course I had onions, tomato, lettuce, sauce etc.

I have not liked the other "veggie burgers" I have tried.

Did not know they were offering these at "big name" places. I will have to watch for one when we go out. I too of course eat my burgers with lots of "stuff". If one of these pass the taste test even with stuff on them it would be impressive. Even with stuff I can sure tell the difference in say hot dogs. Love a good dog now and then. When I met Wife she was single Mom, money was tight. I bought all beef dogs as even with stuff on them the mix master cheap ones just do not taste good to me. First time I bought some Wife balked at price. Then she had a few. Now decades later she will still joke about how I "ruined her" on these. Said the cheap ones were always great until she tried the good ones :)

Just had a doctor visit last Monday for an old military injury that was flaring up. The doc remarked that I was down 20lbs since last visit. I told her I had been doing Keto off and on for a few months.

She freaked and said I needed to have my cholesterol checked and a full blood work up done. Lectured me on how bad Keto is. Told her I eat mostly salads and then bacon and eggs for breakfast with the occasional steak for dinner.

Had my blood drawn on Tuesday and the results came in Thursday. Cholesterol actually went down and everything else perfect.

Stupid doctors...

I'm not sure why the doctor is stupid? She has observed something as being true across the population so she checked you for it?

Thanksgiving Tofu Recipe.

Preparing tofu for Thanksgiving:

Step 1: Prepare a large container, lined with a leak-proof bag

Step 2: Place the tofu in the bag, seal the top

Step 3: Remove the bag from the container, move it to the garbage can, slam the lid closed.

Step 4: Grab a beer or your favorite adult beverage.

Step 5: Grill, smoke or deep fry some real damn meat!! :D

Eat at either Coos Bay or North Bend Burger King and you'll know a decent burger is impossible. They have to be the worst chain stores in the state to the point you wonder how the chain got so big.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top