Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Importing Russia’s Top Gun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Sun195, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Article in the NY Times about imported Saigas. Get 'em while you can....

And, it goes on from there. Make sure to read the comments - they're about what you'd expect.

2. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Doesn't something like this make you want to *try* to just slap the stupid out of somebody??!!

3. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

The good old NYT.

I usually feel like doing so when reading the commentary on the NYT.

4. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

I bet they didn't mention that all rifles coming from Russia are sporter versions with no pistol grip or high capacity magazine. Why would they want to let pesky little details like that get in the way of a great gun bashing story anyway?

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

A nice US side industry has sprung up helping owners get rid of those goofy non original features.. as long as you follow 922R federal law and keep the US count part high enough you are GTG

6. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

I converted mine myself, but I was commenting on the story and the fact that they "forgot" to mention that they look like a hunting rifle when they are imported.

7. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

All this makes me want to do is buy a Saiga which I should of already but didn't because of that awful price hike a year ago.

8. andreys21

andreys21 Milwaukie, OR Active Member

Just heard form a FaceBook friend that her hubby went to buy a Saiga .223 at his local shop but they were out of stock. He was alos told that they wont be getting them anymore because of some "ban on importation." I couldn't find anything concrete elsewhere but maybe some of you can chime in.

As far as the article goes, I expected no less from the friend's of Obamanation!

9. mat33

mat33 Portland, OR Active Member

Not to mention that of all the "evil looking" guns pictured, most were never imported to the US (or importable). They only show two imported Saigas (one stock and one de-neutered).

10. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Aaaaah the good old NYT.... the toilet paper records. Why don't they ban all bankers and banks because they stole from us. Yeah why would they wanna mention that the Saiga rifles are in sport config? that would go against their brainwash agenda.

11. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

Their main consumer is the Russian Department of Defense, which said that they already have a bubblegumload of AK's of various modifications and are not looking to buy any more. Instead they are asking for a completely new main Assault Rifle to be developed, which Izhevsk is failing to do. Because of that, the factory is facing bankruptcy, and their focus on civilian version is just a weak attempt to stay afloat with the US orders...

12. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

From what I hear election year madness has struck, prices have climbed and supply has dried up

13. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

They aren't banned and never have been. Dealers use that line to try to justify their grossly inflated prices. He could ask how much they charge for a transfer and if it's reasonable (most charge $25-$50) buy it online and have it shipped there.

14. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

Funny thing about the video in that article. The two AK rifles shown aren't even Saigas. One is a tacticooled WASR (spot the 45-deg gas block and Century import mark), the other a Yugo M70. The Saiga-12 shotgun is only briefly shown.

And yeah, awful commentary. "I can't believe these baby murdering machines are legal," etc. most comments being from NY, IL, and CA.

I like my converted Saiga .223. It's one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I picked it up for $299 last fall, conversion was an extra $150. Now I wish I had ordered a 7.62x39 too, even though I already have a few AKs in that cal.

VOGlx.jpg

15. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

This just made my blood pressure spike to dangerous levels. Thanks alot.

16. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

^^^ Yeah, I hear ya.