JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive been reloading without cleaning my brass. I shoot mostly .357 and it seems to be working for me just fine. Are there and potential repercussions from doing this? besides the obvious carbon build up.

Cleaning is a preference, or not.

Dies tend to gather less crud with clean cases than with filthy ones but cleaning doesn't always require tumbling. Even a slosh in a bowl with some Dawn or Simple green is adequate if the cases are just dirty.

For some reason there are those obsessed with shiny. So much so that they trade their "secret" recipes for their ground corncob, walnut shell, and polish among themselves.

I kind of like a clean case because clean is just nicer than sooty. I know exactly what's in the case. To carry it to the next level, a well respected NW Benchrest shooter conducted a long term test on his cases. From sparkling new to fired many times, he was able to show a clear increase case weight which was creating a corresponding decrease in case capacity. He now uses an ultrasonic cleaner. I choose to use the Stainless Steel Pins to tumble my brass. It's all a matter of choice. Decide what's best for your needs and as "sheepdip" said, "Don't worry, be happy". Your guns, your brass, your method.

I agree with the above but don't get overly obsessed with cleaning. Prior to getting a tumbler I would throw my cases in a heavy cotton sack and then into the wash with a heavy load. Then I got a tumbler and went through the phase of needing them to to look like new - but that was becoming a hobby in itself. Now I have backed it off to just a few hours in walnut shell with a little Brasso and call it good - and the cases are still probably cleaner than they need to be.

I agree with the above but don't get overly obsessed with cleaning. Prior to getting a tumbler I would throw my cases in a heavy cotton sack and then into the wash with a heavy load. Then I got a tumbler and went through the phase of needing them to to look like new - but that was becoming a hobby in itself. Now I have backed it off to just a few hours in walnut shell with a little Brasso and call it good - and the cases are still probably cleaner than they need to be.

Brasso is bad for cases due to the ammonia that degrades the copper in the case. I would recommend switching to a different polish that doesn't contain ammonia.

elsie

What do you recommend as an alternative to Brasso that will give similar results?

I use about a teaspoon of liquid Turtle Wax dribbled on the corn cob, and run the tumbler for 5 minutes or so to break up the clumps. Add brass and tumble for about 3 hours. Gives the brass a nice shine, and keeps it that way for a long time. Turtle was contains no ammonia.

Never used Brasso so don't know if you'll get similar results. I used the Dillon product for a number of years and got very shiny brass, recently switched to Nu-Finish and got identical (possibly better) results combined with 20/40 corncob. Old Dillon CV-500.

What do you recommend as an alternative to Brasso that will give similar results?

One of the most popular "Brasso Alternatives" out there in the reloading community is Nu-Finish Car Wax/Polish.

A bottle will last for years of case cleaning/polishing and the cases are nice and shiny. They also stay that way for a long time as the brass has a thin film "wax" that retards the normal tarnish.

You can buy it at almost any auto parts store or even discount stores.

I'm assuming you are using a wheel gun in .357? I would'nt worry about tumbling it as the brass probably never hits the ground. That being said I polish the yellow out of my brass . . .

Cleaning brass is more important for autos and rifles, especially when you're using case lube. The cleaning removes the dirt, and the lube.

For what you're doing, I think you're doing fine. I really like the dillon polish, I still have tons of it (I buy by the case), but I also have some nu-finish which I havn't had a chance to try.

Personally, I like cleaned brass, and I've used a number of ways over the years of obtaining it, in the early days I would wash brass with vinegar, laundry soap, and salt. It gets a lot of the crud off, but doesn't really make it shiny.

Yeah, you know because you wouldn't want your clean, sparkly brass attracting attention in a firefight. You know because that's what your enemy is TOTALLY looking for!

I like nice shiny brass I must admit, but the real reason that I clean my brass is to rid the primer pockets of that black grainy rock hard gritty
stuff that is left thereafter the round is fired, I don't want that stuff going down my expensive barrel attached to the next reloaded round that
I shoot. If You remove the spent primer ona batch of fired rounds and then clean the primer pockets over a piece of white paper you will soon
see that a lot of that gritty stuff will accumalate on the paper. It would be a good substitute for grinding compound. well thats my 2.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Last Edited:
i use a citric acid bath in an ultrasonic and they come out clean... then it dries and goes tumbling in walnut media for a shine... I use some brass polish sold at sportsman's warehouse... I forget the name...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top