JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This image appeared yesterday. Not sure if the background as to what type of holster or how old it is.

Was this done during a training exercise?

Did he shift his weight or adjust it causing it to malfunction and discharge?

IMG_2340.jpg

Sure appears that the holster was worn past it's prime.

Also shows the importance of a reinforced mouth on the holster. Firm and double stitched.

Caution, always.

Link on USA Carry:
Man's Leather Holster Causes Accidental Discharge
Circa 2011 but always relevant.

I wouldn't be surprised if re-holstering in a seated position caused the mouth of the holster to fold partially closed and got inside of the trigger guard.

I watched this YouTube video earlier today about holsters and he mentioned leather holsters will form around the trigger guard over time and can end up inside the trigger guard so he recommended against leather for any guns with trigger safeties or anything without a manual safety. I though it was kind of ridiculous but this image displays why perfectly.

Older thread ... But...
I had a older "Slim Jim" / California "S" top holster for a Colt 1860 Army revolver.
Great holster ... but the leather at the top edge got to be very soft and pliable over time.
It would "fold" down and get caught on the trigger guard and cylinder at times when re-holstering.

Simple solution was to sew a reinforcing strip of leather along the top edge.
Andy

Last Edited:
Holsters are one of those things you will have a drawer of. Spend $20 or $120 you may never find the one thats right for you and your gun.

I know I spent a lot and waited 6 months for a milt sparks and my 1911s never really fit well, always to tight.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top