Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Import Marks.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by t.huynh, Jan 28, 2011.

1. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Is it lawful to remove the import marks?

2. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

beware that on some guns the import mark also has the S# that the gun is listed to
    had a SVT 40 that has the S3 on the barrel but it was also S# in the import mark
    and that is what they used for the BGC

3. t.huynh

What if the import mark doesn't include the serial number?

4. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Should be perfectly fine.

What kind of gun?

5. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I found this post when I did a search: Removing Import Markings? - TheFiringLine Forums
    near the bottom of the first page is a post with an attachment of a letter from BATF that supposedly says its ok - provided new SN isn't part of it. Others have gotten letters that say no. You may wish to write the ATF technical branch for an official opinion - you never know if someone photo shopped the stuff they post.

6. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you need to remove it? Are we talking about a modern firearm or a C&R? If the latter, some folks could call this a bit unscrupulous, as pre-68 weapons without import marks carry a premium over otherwise identical rifles with.

Keith

7. t.huynh

It is a C&R gun, a yugo tokarev to be exact. I was just thinking of getting rid of it because I want to durocoat the gun. The import mark is kind of an eye-sore...

8. trainsktg

Well, if you are going to paint it too, then removing the mark will make little difference. Still, I'm unsure as to the legality of this. I'm just thinking from a collector's view.

Keith

9. t.huynh

What do you mean by it making little difference?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

10. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

No, but it's highly unlikely anyone would ever know.

11. trainsktg

Generally, refinishing collectable firearms is best reserved for 'basket cases'...pieces with broken stocks, active surface rusting, etc. For collectable pieces, any non-reversable alteration from original condition...stripping and refinishing a stock, rebluing or painting metal for mere cosmetic purposes, etc...lowers your potential market of future buyers and hence resale value. Granted, Tok pistols are someone low on the rarity list of collectable firearms, and you may be planning on keeping this piece for years and years, but eventually it will leave your possession and you are likely not going to see as much for it as you might like. Just something to be aware of.

Unrelated to the topic, are you by chance an electrician?

Keith

12. t.huynh

I don't plan on selling the tokarev I'm just buying it to be my dedicated range/loaner gun.

Haha I am not an electrician. But I may know of who you are thinking I am. Dynalectric?

13. trainsktg

That would be him. Super guy to work with. One of the best. Are you a relative?

Anyways, if you do find a definitive answer to your question, please post it here. I would guess that because it is required by law for entry to the US that it should remain. But that's only a guess.

Keith

14. t.huynh

Yeah I guess you can call him my step dad. Him and my mom have been together for like ten years now. Small world huh?

If and when I do find the answer I'll be sure to post it up.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

15. trainsktg

Small world indeed.

I read on another website this morning that WA state prohibits removal of import marks. There was no link provided or I would have copied it here. It sounds like it might warrent further investigation.

Keith