JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately I watched few gut wrenching "KABOOM" videos, so I decided to careful inspect interior of all my rifles with the best of my abilities. I found two what appears machining imperfections inside the receiver of my Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed (308 Win). The first imperfection (pic#1) is close to the chamber and it looks almost if someone patched a hole. The second imperfection (pic#2) is under one of the front scope base treads. The screw is torqued as recommended by Browning @ 20 in/lb. My concern is that over time these imperfection could structuraly weaken the action. The rifle is just about 2 months old. I purchased it brand new in Cabela's and the rifle is under full warranty. I shot about 400 rounds so far and the rifle has been working great and shoots accurately (sub-MOA with match-grade ammo). Any advice or opinion about this is highly appreciated.

Dan from Seattle

X-Bolt#1.jpg X-Bolt#2.jpg

Have you cleaned this rifle? Kind of looks like carbon build up to me.

No, the rifle is super clean inside. I clean it after every time I use it.
Just checking. I'd be curious if a Hoppes soaked Qtip wouldn't rub away that marking.

Almost looks like an area behind the lug that might bleed of gas or residue.

It also looks like some build up right in front of it too. That's why I had to ask.

4433BAA1-F3BC-48A0-8F09-30844A8BBF8D.jpeg

Just checking. I'd be curious if a Hoppes soaked Qtip wouldn't rub away that marking.

Almost looks like an area behind the lug that might bleed of gas or residue.

It also looks like some build up right in front of it too. That's why I had to ask.

View attachment 875924
I tried a Qtip soaked in solvents, but could not remove it. That one is just under one of the scope mount screws. I just emailed to Browning customer service, so let's see what is their opinion about it.

My X-Bolt is going back to Browning and I guess they will have to replace the action. The stain shown in the first image developed a small crack next to the bolt lugs, so I do not believe the gun is very safe at this point.

I removed my scope in order to take a better picture of the problem, and now I can see that the action (area next to the bolt lugs) is cracking in two directions. I can't believe that something like this could happen to a 2 months old rifle. Now I need to start a painful process of sending my rifle to Browning for a repair. I won't take anything less than replacement of the action or whole new rifle.

X-Bolt#3.jpg

I was watching some videos of guns exploding (someone posted one here in this forum). Thus, I went and inspected all my guns for internal imperfections. That is how I found that my X-Bolt has this issue. Now a painful process of having the rifle sent back to the manufacturer starts. Luckily, lately I got more into shooting a couple of my other rifles, so I won't miss my x-Bolt that much.

As posted elsewhere, had a case head separation in an HK91 decades ago. Warped the receiver sides out, but blew the contents of the mag into my leg - which survived, if a bit sore. Had to pry the mag body out, as it was swaged into the receiver. I guess the beauty of it was the sheet metal receiver bent rather than broke.
IMG_2560.JPG

Thanks God you came out without any serious injuries. I won't shoot my X-Bolt until the acton or whole rifle is replaced. I just learned that Browning does not even offer 1 year guaranteed warranty on their products, so I am crossing my fingers that they take care of the problem without giving me a hard time.

Wow, I have never inspected my firearms for such imperfections, I might now. Glad you caught that and I hope they fix the problem to your satisfaction.
This device helps. I got this Teslong Rifle Borescope for cleaning and checking the firecracking on the 6.5 C. It isn't terribly expensive at $50.00.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top