JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the inertia (impact) bullet pullers because you can get it done quickly without having to deal with the press. I'm sure there are good reason for the press mounted pullers but I've not used them. The inertia bullet puller has been working on everything I load.

Depends on what you are wanting to do with it. If you want to pull an occasional Mistake reloading then they work great. If you have to pull a lot of bullets then a press mounted unit works better......I have both. :D

I broke two enertia pullers before I bought the press mounted puller. The enertia pullers were a pain to use with light bullets. The press mounted one works so much easier. They are more money but well worth it in your sanity alone. There is no mess and you won't wake the neighbors beating the thing like a rented mule.

I have both,
the impact kind will pull any kind of bullet,but they can and do break.
My press style won't grab lead bullets worth a toot,just slips right off,so I use the impact one all the time because I deal in lead,friends.

I've used my RCBS inertia puller on everything from .38 Special up to 45-70 and 375 Ruger. Works well and I'm able to reuse the bullet every time. Not very expensive, either.

One word of advise on the rcbs enertia puller- heat it up before you start hammering it on the cement- it will last a lot longer and may not break at all. I pulled a group of about 250 with it one night I had little to do and after a lot of beating I had a bunch of re usable bullets and powder. I found out at that time you must use small base dies for ar 15 chambers!

Bullet pulling is about like going to the dentist. An impact puller is probably the most often used to slam apart 15-50 pieces, not much of a problem..

Taking apart 100's is just plain lame.

When you start taking apart your mistakes, you will soon see that shooting is the most fun, followed by reloading, and pulling apart ammo is last. jm.02c:HR

I use both types.

RCBS inertia puller: I've used it for 22 years, hammering on concrete, replaced O-ring twice, no sign of breaking, easy to find replacement rings. Inertia pullers are best for heavy bullets, not very good for light bullets like for .223. Also, best for tapered handgun bullets. I have some truncated cone and semi-wad cutters that I can't see how a press puller collet could even grasp hold of it. It has a rubber pad in the nose so bullets are unmarked. I have removed literally hundreds of bullets over the years. Inerti pullers are also great for that quick one or two cartridges.

Hornady LokNLoad puller: About $35, plus need a collet for each caliber. Once in the press it is quick to lock onto the bullet and pull it. If adjusted properly it barely mars the bullet where the collet contacts. Perfect for light bullets (probably anything under 120 gr perhaps) or a entire batch at once.

I have owned my RCBS impact puller for more than 20 years. I have used it dozens of times and have never de-formed a bullet, rifle or pistol , lead or jacketed.
Put a small piece of foam into the reserviore to cushion the bullet and you are Good2Go .
I have "saved" enough bullets that the puller has paid for itself several times over. I recommend them.
btw: Be sure to get yourself a piece of 2x4 board or similar to hit with the puller. You don`t really want a bunch of divots on the kitchen table. The Mrs. may not like that

Picked up a RCBS collet puller today to rip the heads off 100 rounds of 223 that I was suspect about. Hands down a quicker, safer and quieter job than the inertia puller for that many rounds. Still have the inertia puller and may still use it for one off's but the press mounted jobbie is a treat.

Yes, the inertia puller is handy because it adapts to practically every cartridge without additional collets. Just the elastic o-ring bound one. But if you have a whole batch of bullets to pull the die mounted collet puller is tops. And you can pull bullets at 6am Saturday without waking the neighbors. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top