JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok guys! I've made up my mind! I'm getting/building my first SBR. Friday I am ordering an LMT complete lower, when I get it, I'm starting the paperwork.

I have one question still. This spring I'm planning on buying a house. When I move, what do I have to do while the paperwork is being processed? Do I just notify the ATF of my new address so they can contact me that way?

Plan is to go with a 10.5 or 12.5" upper for now, then start paperwork of a suppressor and shorten the barrel to around 7.5".

Might as well ask one more question. Can I switch calibers on a registered SBR? Say start with 5.56 now then put a .300 upper on it someday?

Cant answer your first question. Call the ATF main line and they should be able to tell you.

On your second point, most makers don't suggest using anything shorter then 10.5" with a silencer. You much higher first baffle erosion and they won't warranty them.

On the third point you are allowed to switch calibers, but the ATF requests that any permeant change be sent to them so they can keep the records updated.

I'm seeing the same thing about barrel length and suppressors. I guess I have to make a decision. I've never shot a rifle, or been around one, to know how quiet they actually are. I imagine that a suppressed 5.56 SBR isnt going to be that quiet anyway. I may stick with my 7.5"idea, with a KX3 on it and a rail to the end, and not worry about noise. From what I read (take it for what you will), I'd still need ear plugs with a 10.5" barrel and a suppressor.

I know the second one is a .22, but you get the idea of what I want.

image.jpg image.jpg

The shortest suppressed AR I have shot is 16" and it is quieter, but depending on your surroundings you may still need/want ear protection. In an open environment it is not too bad, but enclosed such as under a shooting hut, or next to a building the sound is much louder. On my 24" target AR the noise is much quieter and I have never felt the need for hearing protection. I can only imagine that on a 10.5" you would want some ear protection. Again this is with supersonic ammo.

I have a 7.5" AR pistol with an A2 flash hider and it is probably one of the loudest guns I have ever shot. The muzzle blast is amazing to say the least, but it is still tons of fun. You really want hearing protection with this.

Bad thing about NFA is it takes government so many months to do the paper work you forget why you wanted it and even what it cost to buy it.:D Oh and the paperwork is just proof of ownership should someone question you about the gun. Don't worry about moving unless it's to a state that doesn't allow the NFA item.

Lol well I plan to order the receivers on Friday, and start the paperwork ASAP. Then I'll start buying parts. For now, until paperwork is done, I plan to put a 14.5" pinned barrel on it, then when time comes, I'll swap barrels. Instead of the LMT I think I'm going to order a matched set of Wilson Combat recievers.

I run my 10.5 with a YHM suppressor on it and I never wear earplugs. It's still comfortable to shoot, and stays in the warranty. I though about doing a 12 or 14 inch upper, but for balance I went to 10.5 and it's much easier to handle now compared to the 16 incher it was on.

As far as the address change thing, you can call them and have them amend the form I'm pretty sure. Or send a 5320 in when you move. Or forward the mail for as long as the post office will.

my 10 inch suppressed is hearing safe with silencerco specwar. without the can it's pretty painful
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, we have 2 SpecWars both on 11 1/2 uppers.
I have shot from the basement with concrete walls out the door, 2 rooms deep to the out side.
It was loud but not to the point of hurting.

Outdoors they are just fine,Not near loud enough to hurt your ears.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top