JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is my cheater method for the range. My range Rx glasses have different lenses. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. My left lens is set to focus on my front sight. Right lens to distance. (I shoot rifles right handed too, unlike my cross dominant father). This has worked for my well for years now. I still occasionally shoot with non-Rx shooting glasses since I don't wear these in the real world; I have better shooting vision with no Rx compared to my regular Rx glasses.

Option #2
sixmaybe.jpg

Another vote for a red/green dot. I recently got a Canik just so I could play around with an optic ready pistol, it almost feels like cheating :D. Only one focal plane, the target, put the dot on the target and you're GTG. I have progressive bifocals, works fine with a pistol optic, but I shoot without glasses with scoped rifles because of the near constant grease slick at the top of the lenses :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

OP, in all seriousness, I feel what you are saying! Will be 54 in a couple months but, already starting with vision issues. I am about to make my first dive into the RMR on my handgun route. Picking up a Glock 48MOS and PSA Dagger slide with optic cut on Wed.

Went to the range yesterday to break in a new 1911. My arms are too short, I can't see the sites any more, my eyes are going. I use readers to read.

Anyone have a solution/suggestion?
My attempt at humor; If you can't succeed with quality (handgun), attempt to succeed with quantity = use a shotgun...

Seriously; I have similar eyesight issues and I have placed a green fiber optic front sight on all my handguns. I see green better than red under most lighting conditions. Red/green dot may work even better, I just have not went down that path yet...
On your issue with arm length, I think you will have to experiment with grip, stance, etc, until you find what works best for you.

Last Edited:
What I have done is to go with Dawson red fiber optic front sight. The other thing is I shoot at paper plates. Even if the edges of the dot and plate are a bit fuzzy, if I can keep all my shots in the paper plate at 20 paces I figure that is minute of bad guy. If I want to shoot minute of shirt button that's what the scoped rifle is for.

I have been in the same boat for a good long time. Many love to hate my solutions but they work for me. Dot sights and lasers. So far still have not had one of my 1911's cut to use one but I really need to. I can do "well enough" with them in good light but, I am just using what I see of the front sight now. My first go to at home is always a long gun so I have optics now. LOVE Crimson Trace stuff. Again many love to hate it and thats fine with me. Don't sell them so what others like or not matters not to me. If you can rent one with a dot on it I would try it. You may well love them.

I was at 7 yards. If I put on my cheaters, I can see the sights but not the target. If I don't, I can see the target, Ian's kinda see the sites.
Can you get a prescription to solve the problem? My distance vision is 20/15 from Lasek, and they warned me it would hasten the short-vision deterioration, so here we are.
When you shoot, your eyes can only focus on one thing at a time and that thing should be the front sight.

Went to the range yesterday to break in a new 1911. My arms are too short, I can't see the sites any more, my eyes are going. I use readers to read.

Anyone have a solution/suggestion?
Resolved with monovision contacts, one eye rx'd for distance, the other for close up work, reading, computer screen. Gives me the option of clearly seeing the target or sights by simply switching eyes 👀

YMMV

I shot these groups a few weeks back ago with an 1898-dated Carl Gustaf m/96 rifle and home loads.

1653769508389.png 1653769573893.png

Rifle is 124 years old.

My eyes are 76 years old.

The ammunition was new, though - I'd made it the night before.

I switched to a red dot sight and just stand closer to the target as age progresses. I figure when I hit 90 there might not be much distance left between the barrel end and bullseye.

Carrots.

The old adage that carrots are good for eyes is actually true. Anecdotes abound of pilots devouring carrots before an eye test in order to pass the exam, and also during flights to improve night vision.

My point I'm going to make is...when using a red dot optic.. what is one focusing on...the dot or the target?
The target...we superimpose the dot into the focal plane of the eye. Use the front sight the same way. Focus on the target, then bring the front sight into your eye sight, but still keep focusing on the target.

Make sure the front sight is a bright color that catches your eye, but do not focus on it.

To go through the whole transition into using the sights this way...contact me and we'll go over it.

This and for a while I used prescription shooting glasses. They're not as strong as my regular prescription, which make the front sights less blurry. I hardly use them anymore since I got used to focusing on the target instead of the front sight. A few of my guns I've replaced the sights or painted the front sight florescent orange or green.

This and for a while I used prescription shooting glasses. They're not as strong as my regular prescription, which make the front sights less blurry. I hardly use them anymore since I got used to focusing on the target instead of the front sight. A few of my guns I've replaced the sights or painted the front sight florescent orange or green.
I have long played with coloring the front. Different eyes seem to prefer different colors when this helps. For me plain white seems to help. I have tried some sight paint but ended up just using liquid Whiteout. Easy to clean off and add more as needed. I have shot with others who's eyes seemed to do better with different colors though and its a cheap easy thing to try. If it works great. If not they are not out anything.

I have long played with coloring the front. Different eyes seem to prefer different colors when this helps. For me plain white seems to help. I have tried some sight paint but ended up just using liquid Whiteout. Easy to clean off and add more as needed. I have shot with others who's eyes seemed to do better with different colors though and its a cheap easy thing to try. If it works great. If not they are not out anything.
I use hobby paint. Bright dayglo orange seems to work for a lot of people. Most guns that I've practiced with a lot, I see it without looking for it.

Ok can't put optics on all my handguns so I went to an optometrist. Wear bifocals now when shooting and have zero problems. Put lens in Oakley frames and ordered a polarized a set too so I can use fishing. Way easier to tie knots now. Course I've been old for a while.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top