JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's analyze this issue. I am using the proposed statutory text identified in OP's post:

"Transfer" does not include the temporary provision of a firearm to a transferee if the transferor has no reason to believe the transferee is prohibited from possessing a firearm or intends to use the firearm in the commission of a crime, and the provision occurs:

(A) At a shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed for the purpose of target shooting, for use during target practice, a firearms safety or training course or class or a similar lawful activity;

(B) For the purpose of hunting, trapping or target shooting, during the time in which the transferee is engaged in activities related to hunting, trapping or target shooting;"

The OP inquired if it would be unlawful for him or her to lend a firearm to a friend while "out in the woods" engaging in target shooting. This response assumes it is lawful to shoot "out in the woods" where the OP is located. The OP should check his or her local zoning laws and confirm that is lawful to shoot a firearm at the shooting location referenced above.

There are basically three elements to this proposed statute at issue. A prohibited transfer does not occur if:

(1) the transferor has no reason to believe the transferee is prohibited from possessing a firearm or intends to use it in the commission of a crime. [[The OP should ask his friend whether he or she is prohibited from possessing a firearm or intends to use it in a crime. If the friend responds no, this element is satisfied. The OP should consider getting a written statement from the friend stating that he or she can legally possess a firearm, and keep that on his person during the target shooting]].

(2) "at other area designed for the purpose of target shooting, for use during target practice" [[Again, if it is lawful for you to shoot "in the woods" and the area you are shooting in is arranged in a way that would cause a reasonable person to conclude that you are target shooting without creating an unreasonable risk, then this element is satisfied][

(3) "for the purpose of . . . target shooting" [[Again, if you are target shooting and there is evidence that shows target shooting [i.e. - targets], then this element is likely satisfied]].

IMO, if OP can prove the above elements, it is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that a prosecutor would attempt to find misconduct. It is even more unlikely that a trial judge would find that a person violated the proposed statute. Until the statute is enacted and appellate courts decide the issue, there is a slight (very small) risk that a court could find that a transfer of a firearm to a friend violates the proposed law.

In sum, set up targets, confirm your friend may possess a firearm, and practice firearm safety. You should be fine.

Yes it is legal to go "out in the woods" and shoot here. For now anyways...
Lucky for us over here on the dry side we are surrounded by public lands.
Of course I am sure they will attempt banning shooting on FS or BLM lands any freaking day now.

I seriously doubt the Sheriff is going to pull into a gravel pit and spend a couple of hours checking ownership on all of the firearms being shot. They don't do it now to check for stolen firearms or tax stamps, so I doubt they will start because of this bill. They have better things to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top