JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the community! You picked a pretty interesting time to join us as the roller coaster has just started. :) I'm a fairly new owner myself, the wife decided a gun was part of our new baby essentials back in 2009, and that was the middle of the last gun run fiasco. Hopefully things will settle down quicker this time around as ammo sure gets expensive when people are afraid it will be taken from them.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I just purchased a 9mm and I am now looking to purchase a safe that will efficiently store my handgun but will also give me the opportunity to quickly draw the gun in case of an emergency. I'd also like to be able to store my ammunition in it as well.

I have a gunvault minivault deluxe and I like it. It fits inside a nightstand and can be opened in a pitch black room due to the finger grooves. It is electronic, using a wall outlet and battery backup. It has a manual cylinder key override. I am a bit paranoid when it comes to the key, so I have the override key locked inside a key safe with a combination lock. The safe should easily hold a full sized gun, extra mag, and box of ammo. As far as ammo storage is concerned, I'd keep it in a separate locked location.

This was the first place to pop up when I searched, so you may be able to find a better price somewhere else:
GunVault MiniVault Deluxe Gun Safe | Meijer.com

Not being overly concerned with theft, I keep mine in an old refrigerator with a padlock. I'd recommend at least locking it up if you have children or friends with children.

nwathlete said:
I'm new to the firearms community so bare with me
No thanks. I get too cold this time of year without clothes. roflmao.gif

But welcome. :s0155:

Hah you're humor is hard to follow. Being a competitive person which I'm sure many of the people on this forum can relate to, what do I have to do to learn about competitive shooting? How do I get the ball rolling? I live in Hillsboro. Are there competitions in the metro area? I want to learn the basics and learn from the ground up. I'm interested in anything and everything but specifically handguns.

Nwathlete-

Welcome aboard!

Ask away. If you are unsure where to ask just send me a PM and I'll help direct you to where you need to go. It's refreshing to have a new gun owner come fwd and admit to a bunch of strangers that one has a massive learning curve.

Also you may want write some letters to your elected officials.

SF-

Hah you're humor is hard to follow. Being a competitive person which I'm sure many of the people on this forum can relate to, what do I have to do to learn about competitive shooting? How do I get the ball rolling? I live in Hillsboro. Are there competitions in the metro area? I want to learn the basics and learn from the ground up. I'm interested in anything and everything but specifically handguns.

If you are interested in competitive shooting then I would recommend starting small and growing out. I'm not going to assume your current firearm skill level. I'll just say, you are newbie. No insult, just easier to have a starting point.

First, take a few classes from a few different groups. Look around and there are several in the Portland area. Make sure it includes basic safety and actual use of the firearm.

Then, find a range you want to go to and use once a month if not more. Douglas ridge, Tri-County, The Pit, Beavercreek Armory, are just a few in the Portland area. Simple Google searches will show them.

Then, narrow in on which type of shooting you enjoy and want to compete in. IDPA, IPSC, Three-Gun, Trap & Skeet shooting, Appleseed, High Power, and the list goes on. Again, each of these can be sought out on a simple Google search and you can find out a lot more information than I could ever tell you here.

As I'm sure you know, it is important to find what you like, practice, and just start competing. Many of these have qualifications which must be meet to compete. Look them up and strive to meet the quals, then surpass them as your skill ability improves.

Does that help?

If you are interested in competitive shooting then I would recommend starting small and growing out. I'm not going to assume your current firearm skill level. I'll just say, you are newbie. No insult, just easier to have a starting point.

First, take a few classes from a few different groups. Look around and there are several in the Portland area. Make sure it includes basic safety and actual use of the firearm.

Then, find a range you want to go to and use once a month if not more. Douglas ridge, Tri-County, The Pit, Beavercreek Armory, are just a few in the Portland area. Simple Google searches will show them.

<snip>

According to reviews here <broken link removed> I'd say NO to Beavercreek Armory.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top