Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I'm new to the firearms community so bare with me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nwathlete, Jan 11, 2013.

1. nwathlete

nwathlete Washington County New Member

I am new to the firearms community. Help.

2. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

can get all the help you need... but first what help are you looking for?

And welcom! :)

Morpheus and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Ask questions, we will do our best to answer them. Some of us will answer nicely, some of us won't. :) But ask your questions!

4. Phather

Phather South SnoCo Active Member

Welcome to the community! You picked a pretty interesting time to join us as the roller coaster has just started. :) I'm a fairly new owner myself, the wife decided a gun was part of our new baby essentials back in 2009, and that was the middle of the last gun run fiasco. Hopefully things will settle down quicker this time around as ammo sure gets expensive when people are afraid it will be taken from them.

5. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Welcome, and fire away. :)

6. nwathlete

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I just purchased a 9mm and I am now looking to purchase a safe that will efficiently store my handgun but will also give me the opportunity to quickly draw the gun in case of an emergency. I'd also like to be able to store my ammunition in it as well.

7. Phather

I have a gunvault minivault deluxe and I like it. It fits inside a nightstand and can be opened in a pitch black room due to the finger grooves. It is electronic, using a wall outlet and battery backup. It has a manual cylinder key override. I am a bit paranoid when it comes to the key, so I have the override key locked inside a key safe with a combination lock. The safe should easily hold a full sized gun, extra mag, and box of ammo. As far as ammo storage is concerned, I'd keep it in a separate locked location.

This was the first place to pop up when I searched, so you may be able to find a better price somewhere else:
    GunVault MiniVault Deluxe Gun Safe | Meijer.com

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  8. nwathlete

That was going to be my next question, is it better to store ammunition elsewhere? and if so should it be in a safe as well?

9. Phather

Not being overly concerned with theft, I keep mine in an old refrigerator with a padlock. I'd recommend at least locking it up if you have children or friends with children.

10. nwathlete

I just ordered a GV MultiVault. Thanks for the help guys!

11. Phather

Hope you enjoy it, and as with everything, once you set the combo, practice, practice, practice! The last thing you want is to be fumbling with the combo when you need it open 5 seconds ago. :)

12. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

No thanks. I get too cold this time of year without clothes. roflmao.gif

But welcome. :thumbup:

13. nwathlete

Hah you're humor is hard to follow. Being a competitive person which I'm sure many of the people on this forum can relate to, what do I have to do to learn about competitive shooting? How do I get the ball rolling? I live in Hillsboro. Are there competitions in the metro area? I want to learn the basics and learn from the ground up. I'm interested in anything and everything but specifically handguns.

14. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Nwathlete-

Welcome aboard!

Ask away. If you are unsure where to ask just send me a PM and I'll help direct you to where you need to go. It's refreshing to have a new gun owner come fwd and admit to a bunch of strangers that one has a massive learning curve.

Also you may want write some letters to your elected officials.

SF-

15. Morpheus

If you are interested in competitive shooting then I would recommend starting small and growing out. I'm not going to assume your current firearm skill level. I'll just say, you are newbie. No insult, just easier to have a starting point.

First, take a few classes from a few different groups. Look around and there are several in the Portland area. Make sure it includes basic safety and actual use of the firearm.

Then, find a range you want to go to and use once a month if not more. Douglas ridge, Tri-County, The Pit, Beavercreek Armory, are just a few in the Portland area. Simple Google searches will show them.

Then, narrow in on which type of shooting you enjoy and want to compete in. IDPA, IPSC, Three-Gun, Trap & Skeet shooting, Appleseed, High Power, and the list goes on. Again, each of these can be sought out on a simple Google search and you can find out a lot more information than I could ever tell you here.

As I'm sure you know, it is important to find what you like, practice, and just start competing. Many of these have qualifications which must be meet to compete. Look them up and strive to meet the quals, then surpass them as your skill ability improves.

Does that help?

16. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Bear = in as to bear arms, bear with me
    Bare = strip, no covering.

17. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

According to reviews here Beavercreek Armory - View Poll Results I'd say NO to Beavercreek Armory.

18. Morpheus

I was just listing possible options, I haven't used many of them. :( Darn, that one is close to Hillsboro too.

19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy it!