JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After decades of shooting double-action handguns, I am considering my first single-action auto purchase. It has very positive safety levers, but the hammer has no "half-cock notch", and I am still uneasy about carrying with a loaded chamber cocked-and-locked. When down the hammer rests fully on the slide, and the spring-loaded inertia firing pin rests fully contained within its channel. You could hit the hammer WITH a hammer and the firing pin would not be impacted.

So, I can't think of any reason NOT to carry with a round chambered, safety on, and the hammer down on the slide. It seems safer than cocked-and-locked carry. I'd be grateful for your opinions......................elsullo :confused:

Other than when you pull the trigger nothing happens ;)

Anything you train for can be overcome but the extra step of having to manually cock the hammer first is one step I don't want to have to think about in an emergency.

At least in the 1911 you have the frame safty as well as the grip safty as fall backs to a AD. I trust in those enough to carry C&L.

In my opinion, if you aren't comfortable carrying a SA in condition one (cocked and locked), then you shouldn't carry a SA, if you want the hammer down, get a DA/SA

I agree! I'm a 1911 man and never had any issue carrying cocked and locked. You have the grip safety, the manual safety and in the series 80 1911's you also have a firing pin block. It really really won't go off unless you want it to. Personally I perfer the series 70 1911's and in fact on my one series 80 1911 I removed the firing pin block because I fear that it will some how screw up and won't go off when I need it to. :s0112:

If you are not comfortable packing it the way the designer says is the safe ready position, you should get a gun that you are comfortable with.
I'm not trying to be smart with you but the gun is designed to be safe and ready in a particular configuration.
Pack what you feel good about carrying in the way it was designed.

I'll agree, the only safe way to carry most single action autos is cocked and locked. If you don't mind, could say what kind of auto it is?

I'd rather be mysterious about it in case I do buy it. It's an obsolete pistol from a major European manufacturer of very high quality. Their manual states that for safety a round shold not be carried in the chamber, but if the user prefers to do so, that it is safe to carry with the hammer down on the frame. And I examined it thoroughly; the firing pin really cannot be impacted with the hammer resting down; alas, there is no grip safety.

I agree with those who recommend double-action only for concealed carry weapons, for fumble-free instant firing, and that is what I practice. I am considering this new pistol as a truck-gun only. Thanks for all of the comments...........................elsullo :s0155:

The biggest risk of carrying a single action auto pistol is when you decide to unload the weapon. You must take off the safety to jack that last round out of the chamber. This is where the rub comes in and on rare occasions folks will forget and have their finger on the trigger to steady the gun. Big mistake. Boom!!

You must always remember to have that barrel pointed to the ground away from body parts when removing that chamber round.

The safeties on a 1911 for example are so positive that the gun is not going to fire unless you have the grip safety pulled and the manual safety off. Its one of the safest pistols around, in my opinion.

I would follow the recommendations of the manufacturer in that case. Not sure if I would consider it a "truck gun" from your description though. Makes it sound like a P210 or something along those lines.

I would follow the recommendations of the manufacturer in that case. Not sure if I would consider it a "truck gun" from your description though. Makes it sound like a P210 or something along those lines.

I've got to agree 100 percent. If the manufacturer says not you shouldn't carry with a round in the tube, then you probably shouldn't.
Make up your own mind if that qualifies as a self defense gun with an empty chamber.

I'd rather be mysterious about it in case I do buy it. It's an obsolete pistol from a major European manufacturer of very high quality. Their manual states that for safety a round shold not be carried in the chamber, but if the user prefers to do so, that it is safe to carry with the hammer down on the frame. And I examined it thoroughly; the firing pin really cannot be impacted with the hammer resting down; alas, there is no grip safety.

I agree with those who recommend double-action only for concealed carry weapons, for fumble-free instant firing, and that is what I practice. I am considering this new pistol as a truck-gun only. Thanks for all of the comments...........................elsullo :s0155:

kinda says it all right there bud...I think that trumps any further instructions...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top