JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to, possibly, pick up a Marlin lever gun. The seller says it's manufacture date is 1898. It's in .38-55 and has double set triggers. I didn't measure but I want to say 20"(?) barrel. It looks to be in pretty good shape as far as bluing and wood. I wasn't able to check the action much, but was able to set the triggers and release it when set, and the regular trigger pull. I couldn't see the barrel because it had been sitting so long there was lint in it. Actually I wasn't even thinking of buying it at the time, it was pretty spendy. But I found a way to, maybe, depending on what I can learn about it, swing something. Can someone give me an idea of what model that early Marlin may have been? In a light search I didn't' find anything obvious. I'm thinking that set triggers was a special order. It's going to be awhile probably before I will be able speak to the seller so I'd like to do some research.

Last Edited:
Dammit! It just dawned on me, it's not in .30-30! It was .38-55.

Thank you guys. I wasn't even thinking of buying this gun, so I was only looking at it with fascination. Too much money for my blood. But then I had a brainstorm that I have something I might "Trade" for it. I recall now the seller stated there were only 3500+/- of this iteration made.

Looking at the M 95 it doesn't list .38-55, but it does show .38-56? According to wiki, production of that cartridge ceased in 1930ish. He said .38-55 is still available, SPENDY though at this time. That could be a deal breaker.

Dammit! It just dawned on me, it's not in .30-30! It was .38-55.

Thank you guys. I wasn't even thinking of buying this gun, so I was only looking at it with fascination. Too much money for my blood. But then I had a brainstorm that I have something I might "Trade" for it. I recall now the seller stated there were only 3500+/- of this iteration made.

Looking at the M 95 it doesn't list .38-55, but it does show .38-56? According to wiki, production of that cartridge ceased in 1930ish. He said .38-55 is still available, SPENDY though at this time. That could be a deal breaker.
If it is a .38/ 55, I'm told you can convert .308 win brass, though I haven't actually dug into the details! If you surf through our sister sight SWFW, there is a thread containing that info and a member that specializes in making old/obsolete ammo! If it's .38/56, I don't know what the differences might be, but I bet you there are plenty of folks with that answer as well as where to find it!

Now, if it's a 95 Winchester were talking about, I'm your huckleberry! :D
Well that was going to be another pondering. How are the pre 1900 Marlin's compared to the Winchester lever guns? As far as durability, parts availability, build quality and such?

Well that was going to be another pondering. How are the pre 1900 Marlin's compared to the Winchester lever guns? As far as durability, parts availability, build quality and such?
Both are good quality manufactures, but in my experience, the Winchesters are far more popular and have a much larger following as well as parts and accessories!
It really depends on what you want, what trips YOUR trigger!

If your just looking for a really sweet old lever gun, post up a want to buy add here, there are plenty of members who would be happy to offer you the rifle of your dreams, even if you don't yet know what that may be! :)

It really depends on what you want, what trips YOUR trigger!
That's just it. I don't know, until something trips it! My trigger that is.

I've never played with set triggers. But I love "Quigley Down Under"! The trigger after being set on this gun was so light I think you could blow hard on it and trip it. I don't even think I'm a good enough shot to take advantage of it!

May I humbly recommend a 1895 Winchester, any caliber would do, but a .30 U.S. or .38/55, .30/06 or my fav, the .405 win would be awesome to have, and these are about as slick as they come, J.M. Browning's final Lever action design, and it's perfection, Naturally!

-Rifle-made-in-1922_100698570_113_AF38676886E4E43B.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top