JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably a BCM upper would be the way to go then. They are pretty inexpensive and on par with Colt for quality. Lower doesn't matter too much just pick the one whose graphic you like best.

buying BCM is a given you're getting something that's the best combination of reliable, durable, and affordable.

agreed on the lower- however, BCM, once again, pretty much takes the cake. $250 "blem" lowers built from TDP-compliant parts- doesn't get any better than that.

go to M4Carbine.net and read the AR stickies... then ask questions, as necessary.

^This

Also be prepared to throw out your budget, all the "cool" pieces of plastic and quality parts are more expensive than you might think and add up quickly! My first build attempt was supposed to be a bare bones setup, ended up with more than doubling my intended budget. I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once" although my wife tends to frown upon this policy :D. You won't regret spending a little extra putting together a quality weapon for yourself. Whatever route you go with have fun!

I have a DSA 16" M4 upper; they are great quality and only cost $275. I picked mine up w/ a BCG and charging handle for $400 deivered. I don't drink from the BCM coolaid bucket; I bought a complete LMT upper for my 1st rifle build. LMT makes great MilSpec stuff; it will cost you less than COLT & BCM, but more than DSA, CMMG, DPMS and others.

thecheese's post was so big and so bad, i'm just not gonna waste my time editing it. the whole post is bogus, so disregard anything in there. but this one's at least short and to the point enough to quickly fix...

1/9 twists are not a "compromise" of anything except money. there's nothing they're best at, and there's no other twist that isn't better at something. 1/9s exist for no apparent purpose, as you cannot use them for 40gr hot/fast varmint loads any more than you can a 1/7. but a 1/7 will shoot anything from 45 HP to 80gr OTMs- and do it as well or better than 1/9.

the only thing 1/9 does is limit what you can shoot. use 1/7 for anything except varminting. use a 1/12 for varminting. end of story.

so, 70% of my post was wrong? Seriously? I guess we found our resident know it all. My post was from personal experience and things that I have learned in the builds that I have done. As well as my personal preferences. I fail to see how most of what I said was wrong and requires your correction. Yeah, sure I dumbed down the twist rate thing a bit, but its not BS. Again, personal experience. yeah you can use a 1 in 7 down to 45gr, but from my experience accuracy is going to suffer. Heck when I had a 1 in 7 and went to 55gr accuracy sucked compared to using 62gr bullets. Below 55gr and I was really not happy at all. Again this was my personal experience with the 1 in 7 barrel I had. When I build my next upper its going to have a 1 in 8 twist barrel as a result from the lessons learned.

Really, the OP wanted help answering some relatively simple questions and you just said go to M4carbine.net and read the stickies. Big help homey, big help. Then instead of politely correcting Riot or explaining things a little better you just go off on him and me to further make you seem to be all knowing. Spengo's response was much better and to the point. Again, polite and helpful in clearing things up. Thankfully when I started building my first AR I didn't have jerks like you around to help me other wise I would have probably been turned off from shooting.

so, 70% of my post was wrong? Seriously? I guess we found our resident know it all. My post was from personal experience and things that I have learned in the builds that I have done. As well as my personal preferences. I fail to see how most of what I said was wrong and requires your correction. Yeah, sure I dumbed down the twist rate thing a bit, but its not BS. Again, personal experience. yeah you can use a 1 in 7 down to 45gr, but from my experience accuracy is going to suffer. Heck when I had a 1 in 7 and went to 55gr accuracy sucked compared to using 62gr bullets. Below 55gr and I was really not happy at all. Again this was my personal experience with the 1 in 7 barrel I had. When I build my next upper its going to have a 1 in 8 twist barrel as a result from the lessons learned.

Really, the OP wanted help answering some relatively simple questions and you just said go to M4carbine.net and read the stickies. Big help homey, big help. Then instead of politely correcting Riot or explaining things a little better you just go off on him and me to further make you seem to be all knowing. Spengo's response was much better and to the point. Again, polite and helpful in clearing things up. Thankfully when I started building my first AR I didn't have jerks like you around to help me other wise I would have probably been turned off from shooting.

yea, i was a little bit of a dick. but thats what happens when somebody spews a page full of crap on a topic they obviously know jack bubblegum about. your personal experience is an sample of one, and is absolutely zero indication of what others might expect. but you didn't present it as "this is the tiny little wee bit i've surmised based on basically nothing," you straight up pontificated, as though an authority on the matter.

reply if you like, i'm unsubscribing. PM me if you want to sword fight.

yea, i was a little bit of a dick. but thats what happens when somebody spews a page full of crap on a topic they obviously know jack bubblegum about. your personal experience is an sample of one, and is absolutely zero indication of what others might expect. but you didn't present it as "this is the tiny little wee bit i've surmised based on basically nothing," you straight up pontificated, as though an authority on the matter.

reply if you like, i'm unsubscribing. PM me if you want to sword fight.

Well said. :s0155:

My experience with 1:7 is I get about 3moa with cheap terrible 55gr ammo (American Eagle) and around 1.3 moa with nice 75gr and 77gr ammo (Hornandy, Black Hills). I don't shoot much 62gr as most of that seems to be steel core and I can't use it at Practical Rifle. I have not tried any match grade 55gr ammo. 55gr is not overstabilized in my 1:7 barrel because I consistently hold 3moa out to 300 yards (9" groups). I have not tried shooting it farther away than that. Probably nicer ammo would be more accurate.

I have not tried 45gr varminting bullets but I expect that the 1:7 twist rate will overstabilize those rounds and cause me some wonderful curving bullets.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top