JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carried IIIA armor as a security guard, my boss thought it was unneeded, but I'm not so faithful of the local populous when it comes to confronting a random guy in the night with a badge on.

ar500 armor has some very cheap but effective plates.

I guess splatter is an issue that will be addressed with new plates. But I have one for my rig and while heavy, it seems to do the job just fine for most threats you'll come across SHTF or not.

I guess there is gonna be some kind of coating that's gonna get applied to the AR500 plates to prevent the spall/splatter.
AR 500 plates vs Ceramic plates - YouTube

Last year I picked up a US PALM ASP-C carrier with two level 4 standalone plates. They will stand up to 7.62AP, they are ceramic hybrid I guess and they are heavy.... I'd say about 8 lb. each. I was gonna go through Victory Tactical Gear but I decided to go with US PALM. My buddy decided to get some plates so he went with VTG and he had no issues. He actually ended up with SAPI standalone level 4 for $314 for two plates delivered (these plates are multi hit 7.62AP also).

If I am not mistaking, my plates will hold up to a 30-06 armor piercing and it is multi hit. My ASP-C plates are rectangular 10x12 and the upper corners were digging into my shoulder, so I traded a plate with my buddy and now I have a SAPI front and a regular rectangular plate in the rear. The VTG front plate is one pound lighter, it has a nice spongy coating and the single curve is nice. I really like how the corners don't dig in my shoulder with the VTG.

I also have a Kevlar helmet I got for keepshooting.com for $90 http://www.keepshooting.com/german-kevlar-helmet.html .... it's German surplus in almost new condition. I need to get a front Kevlar panel ( I have a used rear in good shape) so I can have soft and hard armor capabilities. A while back I had bought a used German level 3A soft armor and found out that it could have Zylon in it. So I shot the front panel since it was a little rough and it stopped every round so I know the rear panel will do fine.

I bought the US Palm package form SGCusa but they don't have any in stock anymore but I had paid $350 for the two new plates and the carrier. At the time I was getting my armor, VTG had their active shooter package for $399 but the prices have gone up and now you can get it for $465 and it comes with shooters cut plates. I would contact VTG before ordering to make sure they have plates in stock.
IMMEDIATE RESPONSE CARRIER SYSTEM - TACTICAL GEAR

I finally have the green light to get some ballistic protection. I'm just a normal guy, I don't plan on storming castles or anything, (never been a soldier, police officer, security, etc) I guess you could say I'm a prepper of sorts and just like to know its there if the day comes where I have to defend the fort for extended disasters. I am looking for website recommendations if you have any. The only one I am really aware of is bulletproofme.com They seem popular and I have heard good things. Has anyone made a purchase from them? How are there prices? What set up did you go with? I essentially want to purchase a quality helmet, plate carrier, and plates (ceramic or steel???) at a price range around $1000-$1200 or less of course. Thank you for your help!

-Cameron

If you're looking for something inexpensive & concealable get a us palm. You'll have enough money left over to also purchase any heavy armor with plates afterwards for when you're not worried about conceal ability.

The one downside to armor is that it expires after a short period of time (3-5 years in most cases). Most of us will never need body armor, and replacing it every 3-5 years is a big waste of money IMO if you are putting a lot of money into a nice setup.

It's nice to have, but not a need to have IMO. Also, there is a whole lot of you that the armor doesn't cover, and in FOF training you tend to get hit in the extremities more than the torso.

I've considered buying armor, and may buy some Level II or something similar for $100 or so since I won't care as much about replacing it every few years and it's protection against most common handgun rounds while being light enough to be mobile still.

But like I said, I wouldn't be as concerned about armor as I would be about avoiding bad areas to begin with (even if SHTF) and having adequate weapons, food, water, general supplies, and training.

If you don't have to go scavenging for food because you have food and water as well as other necessary supplies as a prepper, you aren't risking getting shot like others might be. The best way to win a gunfight is not to get into one.

The one downside to armor is that it expires after a short period of time (3-5 years in most cases). Most of us will never need body armor, and replacing it every 3-5 years is a big waste of money IMO if you are putting a lot of money into a nice setup.

Actually, it doesn't expire every 3-5 years, unless the ballistic panels gets wet and/or is exposed to extreme heat. The agency I worked for, for 30 yrs., replaced our vests every 5 years - for liabiluty reasons, not because they "expired." Manufacturers recommended replacement schedules vary, but again, this is for liabality reasons, and not actual "expiration" of the body armor - unless the panels are comprimised.

Actually, it doesn't expire every 3-5 years, unless the ballistic panels gets wet and/or is exposed to extreme heat. The agency I worked for, for 30 yrs., replaced our vests every 5 years - for liabiluty reasons, not because they "expired." Manufacturers recommended replacement schedules vary, but again, this is for liabality reasons, and not actual "expiration" of the body armor - unless the panels are comprimised.

And why do you think they have that recommended replacement/expiration date? Because they are more likely to fail after a certain ammount of time/use/storage.

And people who are buying armor are buying it to depend on for their life, not hope and pray that it's good past the recommended replcacement date while saying "that's just for liability reasons". The "just for liability reasons" is what most people call a sign that there is a good chance the vest won't work after the recommended replacement date, otherwise your "department" would have just had you wear the same vest forever.

But go ahead and tell everyone to wear body armor forever and that it doesn't expire, even though you chose to wear new body armor every five years like I just said, rather than turning it down and patting your Chief on the back and telling him "it's OK, it's not expired, I'll just wear it for another 25 years"...:rolleyes:

Remember the lifespan of 3-5 years is from date of issue, not sitting on a shelf in a climate controlled closet. As far as I know, AR500 plates don't expire under usual conditions. Getting hit with projectiles will shorten the lifespan of anything, especially you. I find it interesting that even our own members here scoff at the idea of getting some small arms protection, I say to each his/her own. Do your research, practice with what you have and adapt as needed. A couple of hundred dollars is cheap insurance and it isn't like there is any reasonably priced ammo, magazines or arms out there to spend your money on anyway.

Remember the lifespan of 3-5 years is from date of issue, not sitting on a shelf in a climate controlled closet. As far as I know, AR500 plates don't expire under usual conditions. Getting hit with projectiles will shorten the lifespan of anything, especially you. I find it interesting that even our own members here scoff at the idea of getting some small arms protection, I say to each his/her own. Do your research, practice with what you have and adapt as needed. A couple of hundred dollars is cheap insurance and it isn't like there is any reasonably priced ammo, magazines or arms out there to spend your money on anyway.

I completely agree. I have noticed there is almost a hostility against body armor with some members on various gun forums. In my opinion, if you like guns, then body armor should not be a mystery to you. Even if you don't personally want to invest in it, questioning why someone would want it is absolutely ridiculous. If you have purchased a firearm for self defense (which is why many people own guns), then there is a very strong likely hood someone is shooting at you if you get into a violent situation - Thus body armor! Soft vests are also GREAT for people who drive often. They save people in car accidents all of the time, which is a real world problem.

When I did some training at a LE range they had a similar concern about bullet splay and other projectile artifacts injuring trainees. The solution was to take the armor plates down to the local truck accessory shop and have them sprayed with truck bed liner (Linex seemed to be the preferred method).

The bullet fragments would get trapped in the bed liner material (or dramatically decelerated), it could be sprayed with whatever color the shop had extra of so it reduced cost and didn't add too much weight to the target material. The targets would stand up to hundreds of shots before a re-spray was required and they could get much closer to the targets with real ammo (not frangible) with less concern.

Linex also provides a much thicker version of their product and sprays the inside of building walls to reduce flying debris after an explosion. I hear it's been used overseas with pretty good results.

I'd imagine Rhino-liner or even the do-it-yourself kits would work for target and body armor steel plate coating.

As long as the kevlar hasnt gotten wet or left out to degrade in direct sun it will be fine...ignore the expiration date..I would choose a good fitting vest that was expired over a bad fitting vest that was brand new everytime....the date is used mainly so manufactures can sell more units...when vests first came out they did not have a waterproof protective covering over the kevlar and it was easy for the kevlar to degrade, hence the "expiration date"....nowadays the coverings are much better.. I can swim in my duty vest and the kevlar wont be affected... I personally just "tested" a very well used level IIIa duty vest that was 8 years beyond its expiration date (so 14 years since it was made) to see how it would perform and it stopped EVERYTHING we shot it with..including some hot 9mm that didnt exsist when the vest was made.

I carried IIIA armor as a security guard, my boss thought it was unneeded, but I'm not so faithful of the local populous when it comes to confronting a random guy in the night with a badge on.
Same here when I was younger. Had a steel plate in the middle.

Guy got stupid one night and stabbed me in the chest. The knife hit the plate, deflected off and get stuck in the kevlar. I then proceeded to beat the hell out of him with an asp. Cuffed him, got the co. sheriff out, and they let me give him a few more knocks before they officially "responded" to the call.

Same here when I was younger. Had a steel plate in the middle.

Guy got stupid one night and stabbed me in the chest. The knife hit the plate, deflected off and get stuck in the kevlar. I then proceeded to beat the hell out of him with an asp. Cuffed him, got the co. sheriff out, and they let me give him a few more knocks before they officially "responded" to the call.
Holy crap! I hope you got a raise. That is crazy!

One time armor makes a lot of sense is if you are taking a hands on shooting class with a lot of newbies. I see a few students wearing armor in basic and advanced handgun classes for instance.

And why do you think they have that recommended replacement/expiration date? Because they are more likely to fail after a certain ammount of time/use/storage.
I'm guessing so people will unquestionably buy it every 5 years, even if it's still good......
And people who are buying armor are buying it to depend on for their life, not hope and pray that it's good past the recommended replcacement date while saying "that's just for liability reasons". The "just for liability reasons" is what most people call a sign that there is a good chance the vest won't work after the recommended replacement date, otherwise your "department" would have just had you wear the same vest forever.
I know a lot of foks that wear vests longer than your so-called 3-5 years.....
But go ahead and tell everyone to wear body armor forever and that it doesn't expire, even though you chose to wear new body armor every five years like I just said, rather than turning it down and patting your Chief on the back and telling him "it's OK, it's not expired, I'll just wear it for another 25 years"...:rolleyes:

I never told anyone to wear body armor forever (that was your spin on it, in attempt to justify your post). If I would have declined my department's vest replacement, I doubt very much I would have served 30 years on my department, nor would I coose to wear a vest for 25 years. I never made an atempt get snarky with you, when I addressed your quote, not sure why you did with me - unless you attempt to belittle people when you are trying to defend an inferior arguement position. But hey, I'll just defer to your vast knowledge, training, and experience in wearing a ballistic vest, every day of your job, for 30 years......................

Last Edited:
BulletProofMe is pretty backed-up these days, but awesome customer service, and honest and fair too. The guy's name is Tim. If you call and leave a message he'll call back pretty quickly.

Good Luck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads