Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I'm getting armored up!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mouse, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mouse

mouse Pacific Northwest Active Member

I finally have the green light to get some ballistic protection. I'm just a normal guy, I don't plan on storming castles or anything, (never been a soldier, police officer, security, etc) I guess you could say I'm a prepper of sorts and just like to know its there if the day comes where I have to defend the fort for extended disasters. I am looking for website recommendations if you have any. The only one I am really aware of is bulletproofme.com They seem popular and I have heard good things. Has anyone made a purchase from them? How are there prices? What set up did you go with? I essentially want to purchase a quality helmet, plate carrier, and plates (ceramic or steel???) at a price range around $1000-$1200 or less of course. Thank you for your help!

-Cameron

2. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Well, ESAPI plates, the bullet resistant plates we wore in the Marines, are ceramic and have a polymer Honeycomb layer on top. They are then wrapped in, I believe, Kevlar and sealed. We wore those inside our vests, which were internally filled with flak/small arms resistant "soft" (flexible) armor. Be careful buying ESAPI plates though because the DOD tracks the serial numbers and prosecutes pretty heavily on plates stolen from the military.

mouse and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DemonNova

DemonNova Cornelius Oregon Member

I did an extensive research into Body Armor and Plates and eventually I went with a Level IIIA vest from CalArmor (New Modular Bulletproof Vest Body Armor NIJ IIIA XS | eBay) and Level III Dyneema plates from Isreali-Weapons (Holster, Tactical items in Israeli-Weapons Ltd store on eBay!). With this combination, they say that it will stop a 30-06 as long as it's not point blank range. Of course I have not tested them to see how well they work but, I'm happy with the quality of the Vest and the Plates.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. estate10mm

estate10mm Hillsboro Member

vestguy.com The guy is local but his armor is AR 500 plates! really nice guy

mouse, gryghin, theflyguy and 3 others like this.
  5. Guilty

Guilty Salem, Oregon Active Member

I have visited vestguy.com booth at ARPC last year and it looks like he will be at ARPC gun show again March 2 & 3 ARPC Club, ALBANY Fairgrounds, Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm

6. TheHumungus

TheHumungus Portland Active Member

7. Blue Devil PA

Blue Devil PA Boise Active Member

I have heard good things about The Targetman out of Arizona and his rhino coated omega armor.
    Google AR500 armor and spall/bullet splatter, really made me think twice about purchasing uncoated steel.

8. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I wear the same kinda steel plate Clint wore in A Fistful of Dollars!

The rope chaff's after awhile...:laugh:

10. FORKLIFT252

FORKLIFT252 Oregon Active Member

vestguy.com....tell him Daniel sent ya. If your looking for SHTF stuff, steel plates is where its at. they will take a beating over and over and over again just an extra plate carrier would be all you need for long term.

11. Zeshio

Zeshio Olympia Active Member

I'd focus on the specific plate carrier you want first and build your system off of that, as plates are oftentimes dependent on your rig. One of the more popular plate carriers I've seen in the civilian market is the Shellback Tactical Banshee Plate Carrier, which will run around 115-130. The Shellback has a cumberbund with side plate inserts for your side, if you want the full coverage. Just don't forget if you're rocking both plate armor and plate backers it's going to be pretty heavy, so get some practice in with it or determine what you want your mobility to be like first.

For full protection, many ceramic plates will require a soft armor backer, so make sure you know what you're buying. Steel plates will be more durable but they are also heavier. You're going to have to find a balance between cost, weight and effectiveness. Make a spreadsheet for estimated costs of your whole system and see what's feasible before making big purchases.

12. ThePhonMan

ThePhonMan Spokanistan Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

If you have insomnia or are just really bored there are a ton of body armor reports and references at NIJ.

https://www.justnet.org/body_armor/ballistic_le.html

It’s not all that exciting reading but you can get answers to every question you can possibly think of (and wish you hadn’t). It’s primarily testing and selection data so don’t expect prices.

Good luck.

13. DemonNova

DemonNova Cornelius Oregon Member

If I remember correctly, the AR500 plates are kind of old school but, they probably work just fine and if that's all you can afford then hey, they are better than no protection at all.

14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You should look into ceramite armor, the Space Marines take on demons wearing that stuff! ;)

Bob D and (deleted member) like this.
  15. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

Well since this topic came up, has anyone seen anything to protect from spall/splatter from AR500 steel...I have seen what it does to my 2x4s with my steel targets, and I wouldn't mind plates for SHTF.

Maybe somekind of Kevlar sleeve/pocket the plates fit in to..or somekind of coating?

16. Steve06

Steve06 Oregon Active Member

Law Enforcement usually wears IIA vests unless it is SWAT and they usually wear IIIA, I think.

17. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Question. What's the armor for?

18. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

The dude's a mouse. I'd get armor, too.

Blaylocke and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Bark

Bark Oregon Member

Wearing it is a good workout....

20. mouse

mouse Pacific Northwest Active Member

thanks all