JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally have the green light to get some ballistic protection. I'm just a normal guy, I don't plan on storming castles or anything, (never been a soldier, police officer, security, etc) I guess you could say I'm a prepper of sorts and just like to know its there if the day comes where I have to defend the fort for extended disasters. I am looking for website recommendations if you have any. The only one I am really aware of is bulletproofme.com They seem popular and I have heard good things. Has anyone made a purchase from them? How are there prices? What set up did you go with? I essentially want to purchase a quality helmet, plate carrier, and plates (ceramic or steel???) at a price range around $1000-$1200 or less of course. Thank you for your help!

-Cameron

Well, ESAPI plates, the bullet resistant plates we wore in the Marines, are ceramic and have a polymer Honeycomb layer on top. They are then wrapped in, I believe, Kevlar and sealed. We wore those inside our vests, which were internally filled with flak/small arms resistant "soft" (flexible) armor. Be careful buying ESAPI plates though because the DOD tracks the serial numbers and prosecutes pretty heavily on plates stolen from the military.

I did an extensive research into Body Armor and Plates and eventually I went with a Level IIIA vest from CalArmor (New Modular Bulletproof Vest Body Armor NIJ IIIA XS | eBay) and Level III Dyneema plates from Isreali-Weapons (Holster, Tactical items in Israeli-Weapons Ltd store on eBay!). With this combination, they say that it will stop a 30-06 as long as it's not point blank range. Of course I have not tested them to see how well they work but, I'm happy with the quality of the Vest and the Plates.

Last Edited:
I have heard good things about The Targetman out of Arizona and his rhino coated omega armor.
Google AR500 armor and spall/bullet splatter, really made me think twice about purchasing uncoated steel.

vestguy.com....tell him Daniel sent ya. If your looking for SHTF stuff, steel plates is where its at. they will take a beating over and over and over again just an extra plate carrier would be all you need for long term.

I'd focus on the specific plate carrier you want first and build your system off of that, as plates are oftentimes dependent on your rig. One of the more popular plate carriers I've seen in the civilian market is the Shellback Tactical Banshee Plate Carrier, which will run around 115-130. The Shellback has a cumberbund with side plate inserts for your side, if you want the full coverage. Just don't forget if you're rocking both plate armor and plate backers it's going to be pretty heavy, so get some practice in with it or determine what you want your mobility to be like first.

For full protection, many ceramic plates will require a soft armor backer, so make sure you know what you're buying. Steel plates will be more durable but they are also heavier. You're going to have to find a balance between cost, weight and effectiveness. Make a spreadsheet for estimated costs of your whole system and see what's feasible before making big purchases.

Google AR500 armor and spall/bullet splatter, really made me think twice about purchasing uncoated steel.

Well since this topic came up, has anyone seen anything to protect from spall/splatter from AR500 steel...I have seen what it does to my 2x4s with my steel targets, and I wouldn't mind plates for SHTF.

Maybe somekind of Kevlar sleeve/pocket the plates fit in to..or somekind of coating?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top