JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you ever bought a gun that someone recommended?

• Total voters
Back in the day, I recommended my buddy to buy a Ford Pinto. When he did, I said "why the heck did you get that thing?".

lol

Thread drift alert!
MY buddy bought a Pinto new in about 74-75, got married and went on their honeymoon. Points broke, and it died, half way between Salt Lake City and Vegas. Not sure what ever happened to that car. I know it didn't last as long as his 5 year marriage though!

Thread drift alert!
MY buddy bought a Pinto new in about 74-75, got married and went on their honeymoon. Points broke, and it died, half way between Salt Lake City and Vegas. Not sure what ever happened to that car. I know it didn't last as long as his 5 year marriage though!

When I first met my ex, she had a green Pinto and two kids, and I had a burgandy '67 Firebird convertible with a 3spd on the floor. What a fool I was!!!

a Para Ordnance P14.45 and was becoming very popular at that time. When they still made them in Canada.
I made a similar mistake. One of the biggest POC I ever bought. Won't touch the marque to this day, it was such a evil petty wasted time/effort/$/. Don't recall ever getting a full mag of any brand, to fire without a glitch of the day.

What? A Pinto and TWO kids, you should have known better?:s0114:

The worst thing was I made a kid with her a few years into the marriage... I love my daughter, but now I'm stuck with the ex in my life. Ditched the Pinto and bought a Ford 250HD Camper Special when I enlisted and we moved to SF as my first duty station. While there, I bought a Yamaha RD350 street bike. Not very sporty and too light really to drive on the freeways from Pacifica to the SF airport USCG Air Station.

I made a similar mistake. One of the biggest POC I ever bought. Won't touch the marque to this day, it was such a evil petty wasted time/effort/$/. Don't recall ever getting a full mag of any brand, to fire without a glitch of the day.

Holy Moly man!!!

That pistola was one of my favs!!!!!!!! But I did learn at the first match that I needed to run it very very wet... you know, kinda like my ex. Then it ran flawless, always. The only mistake I made was putting so much $$$ into it with modifications. But at the time there was only 1 production handgun with those features and I had to do it a little at a time, unlike my ex, who liked the whole enchilada all at once!!!

After Para screwed the pooch in North Carolina, I couldn't sell that gun for $600. So I passed it down to my SIL. The whole family loves it and even my 10yr old grand-daughter is shooting it.

I missed it so much I recently bought a stainless P14.45 from a NWFA member. Haven't shot it yet tho... still too much snow at the range.

I lost 2 cousins to a Ford Pinto! The 3 sisters and a friend were driving home from high school when an old timer in a GMC rear ended them at a stop sign and the fuel tank ruptured and caught fire, burned 3 of the 4 occupants to death, and the one survivor was burned over 80% of her body! It takes her about 3 hours every day to dress her wounds and put on her makeup and get going! Lucky for her, her face and hands didn't get burned, but the rest of here sure as hell did! That was almost 50 years ago, a hell of a long time to have to suffer for Fords absolute stupidity, and yes, the family sued the snot out of them, got paid a bunch ( Still getting paid a bunch for care and treatments) but it isn't near enough for what she lost! :(:(:(

Back to the topic!
Nope, I have never bought a firearm some one recommended, but I have taken their advice and looked into them! Most who know me know I have pretty fixed needs and desires for firearms and i'm picky as hell, so most only tell me when something that I may be interested in comes up and I should go look at it and see if it fits my wants and needs! :cool:

My interests are rather eclectic. I don't know that I've ever bought anything solely on someone's recommendation, and I'm cautious about recommending guns to anyone else. I have recommended against certain guns though.

I learned a long time ago that different people often like very different things. One guy's prize possession could be absolutely hated by someone else. We see that all the time on this forum. I see posts all the time bashing and hating on things I like. Whatever, to each their own.

I let a friend shoot my Keltec Sub-2000 recently. I told him in advance that: 1. the trigger is horrendous, 2. the sights are terrible, and 3. the ergonomics are awkward at best; BUT I still like the darn thing, and think it's fun to shoot.

He proceeded to ignore what I was trying to tell him about how to hold it, and spent 5 minutes trying unsuccessfully to put his cheek on the "stock" and fire it like a normal rifle. He set it down in disgust and proclaimed it a completely unusable piece of junk, even though he had just seen me shoulder and fire it repeatedly, hitting targets at 100 yards.

And now any minute someone will post in agreement with my friend, with the implication being that I'm either stupid or insane for even owning anything made by that company. Some people get downright judgemental about it.

We all have different interests, pursue different disciplines, have different standards, likes and dislikes. Knowing that, I always do my own research to see if something is likely to suit me, and recommend others do the same.

People I know personally and respect, and a couple are on here as well, I would seriously consider their recommendation. I dont completely trust published "gun reviews" as I'm not sure of their agenda or their preferences. But from a gun person I respect, certainly I'll listen to what they have to say. If you can share a trusted persons experience then you've gained.

I posted a thread on here about wanting a Beretta so, I guess I'd be guilty of listening to recommendations because now I have these.....:rolleyes:

thumbnail_IMG_0096[2][1].jpg

A buddy has a nice collection of AR's. Pistols, SBR's - the lot. He knows I like sub-moa stuff - but at 400 yards plus.
So he hands me this rifle.. "heavy barrel.." he says... "Rifle port gas... ez follows up!" he says... "In-house cold hammer forged barrels!" he says...

So I try it. Not worried too much about cqb or close-in stuff, so I try some bench shots at 300 yards. Hmm... I am pretty much an amateur, but I'm getting 5 shot groups at under 3" @ 300. So last year I visit family in North and South Carolina - with a side trip to Black Creek Georgia. Toured a factory (un-scheduled) and they still gave me a great 15 minute look... Never saw so many people actually happy and proud to be working where they are.

First 'non-kit' factory AR I ever bought. Sure - I trusted a friends suggestion. But I also traveled nearly 3k miles to see for myself.

Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 Pro. :cool:

Never have, I seem to ask then just do what I was going to do originally any way....
I usually have an idea of what I want then just look for brands people like but found it is harder to form an opinion afterwards.
seems to work well, but I don't have a whole lot of firearms either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top