JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm currently selling an AR pistol on gunbroker which was just sitting around gathering dust, and because of the mass hysteria the bidding is currently at twice what I paid for it. I bought a decent bolt action 223 to eat up the ammo I have and I'll make a nice profit by selling the scary "assault weapon". My advice- if you can't think of a reason to keep it, take the money and run!

I hear what you are saying, but please keep in mind..........there's NOTHING available right now......EVERYTHING is on backorder.

This is not true. Do you want November 2012 prices on Midway or Brownell's? then yes, it's on backorder.

But you can find things at current market prices on Gunbroker, etc.

It's more accurate to say that the price is higher, not that things aren't available.

I'm considering selling all of my AR-15 related stuff.

If:
  • You are certain you will never want one, or
  • You are certain they will not be banned in the reasonably near future

...then sure, sell. You'll either be able to buy it back at a cheaper price in a year or you won't want to.

Your uncertainty is because we can't predict the future:
  • Maybe it will be banned and you'll never have a chance to sell it (Kalifornia-style rules, only Federally).
  • Maybe it will be banned but you will be able to sell it and it'll be work $10,000
  • Maybe prices will drop to half their current levels and you'll be kicking yourself.
  • Maybe North Korea will invade Spokane and you'll lead a band of Wolverines to defend America and...(cough)

I would point out that the AR-15 is one of the greatest "platform" rifles in the marketplace (the other probably being the 10/22). If it's just the case that you have a different need, then perhaps converting your AR to something else would be better - they can be made into everything from long-range varmiters to deer-hunting rifles to bench-rest shooters, etc. You can always switch things back.

But I suspect you're looking at the rifle, looking at prices, and saying "man, I could have $X,000 for this". Your hesitation is uncertainty because none of us has a crystal ball.

Eventually, my long term plan is to sell my house, buy a really nice diesel pickup and toy hauler, and go full time RVing around the country. The wife is slowly coming on board with this plan. It's probably 10 years out at this point.

When that happens, carrying an AR-15 and a supply of ammo for it around would be prohibitively difficult, possibly even illegal depending on where I go. We'll have a storage unit, but it seems wasteful to leave it there. Even more wasteful than where it sits today.

I like to plan for the positive, and be prepared for the negative and not obsess about it.

I also like to retain a little hope for enlightenment in humans, so we'd never get to that societal collapse everyone on gun forums talks about.
But then I read on the news about the really nasty things we humans do to one another - and not just one on one.

I believe that the more negative energy we all put out, the more it influences others, and the same with the positive energy.
Try walking down a busy street one day, smiling, nodding, and making eye contact with everyone you pass going the other direction.
Then turn around and walk back the way you came, throwing everyone you meet surly, suspicious looks.

Tell me how that worked out for you.
Then tell me about how many weapons and ammo you have stored away in case the SHTF.

So I want to sing "Kumbaya" and "Shiny Happy People" and give out free hugs to everyone. But I want to have a big stick in my hand just in case.
Some people will say that these things are not mutually exclusive, and they might be right, but the majority of people can't manage to do them both.

WOLVERINES!

Ohh, sorry, got caught up in the most excellent Red Dawn reference.

On the original topic. I'm not in any hurry to offload my Evil Black Rifle's or the related items. The thought has certainly crossed my mind as my stuff sold at current prices could certainly reduce some debt. I don't think that the ban will happen, so I could probably buy stuff back eventually at better prices than we're seeing today. But I don't know that for sure, and I do enjoy my EBR's.

I have decided that instead of selling all my items or stockpiling more, I am just concentrating on finishing some of the projects that I have had backlogged in my safe for too long. I have a list between 17 and 20 projects long. Some of those are affected, like changing some furniture on some of my EBR's. But most are bolt action rifles, revolvers, and lever action rifles. The items I need for those projects don't seem to have been caught up in the paranoia.

Regardless of whether or not you choose to keep or sell your EBR items, I implore you to remain active in fighting for the right to own the items. Once you don't own any, the temptation is to forget some things are under attack. Protect the rights to own one kind of stick so there are people left to support your right to own your kind of stick...

The zombies just voted overwhelmingly that you sell it all. Your loss will be another's joy and you can regret it later.

Just a suggestion, and please don't take offense because I don't mean any, but the tone of your posts I think is likely to turn a lot of people off and not elicit many thoughtful replies.

It looks like you just signed up within the last couple days, have only a few posts, but your tone is rather condescending and combative. Perhaps you don't mean to come across that way; just an observation.

That's the way it came across to me as well. This is a public forum. You don't get to control the replies you get, just because you initiated a thread.

Unless you think the Zombie Apocalypse is imminent, I recommend you sell your black rifles now while the price is high, and before Diane Feinstein makes you sell them for $200 to her. Doesn't sound like you are that thrilled with them.

I'll give you $400 right now :)

I had an AR for years. It sat in my safe after the first couple months of having it; just didn't do anything for me.
I traded it off for something else that I enjoyed much, much more during a time kinda like this current political climate is showing to be. If you don't want it, now may be a good time to move on to something else.

It's a good time to sell.
I have 2 ARs and a stripped lower and am considering selling 1 of the ARs and the lower. The AR has been in my safe for 2 years and I have not fired it once. It's a basic A3 model that has only 5 rounds through it for testing (according to the guy who sold it to me).
If the AWB does not happen, with time prices will go back down. Might as well sell now while people are willing to pay stupid prices.

I had a used upper I got for $300 a little while back. 16" barrel flat-top I paid $300 for. I threw on a local gun board for $500 and it sold in a minute. I hope to be able to get a couple lowers with that money if everything settles in our favor.....

Sell it off man. I'd bet if you would've come on this board a year ago and asked someone to sell you a hammer because yours had a crack in it, somebody would've just asked for your address and given you one.

I enjoy the .45 at 75yds, 300 win mag at 300yd and .223 (wish I had one) at 500yds.
If you enjoyed your rifles once, could you again?
If yes, then keep.
If they were frustrating, then sell.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using <broken link removed>

...But then when the insults started flying, well, then yeah, my tone got intentionally condescending and combative.

Try walking down a busy street one day, smiling, nodding, and making eye contact with everyone you pass going the other direction.
Then turn around and walk back the way you came, throwing everyone you meet surly, suspicious looks.

... I want to have a big stick in my hand just in case.

You sound like you could use some meds. Good reason to sell the rifle that you can't recall the reason for buying. ;)

I kid, I kid! :s0114:

Just keep it because its fun, accurate and good for what it was designed for.
If you don't need the money, keep it as just a "hey I got one of those rifles you can't get anymore" toys.
I have a 119 year old Winchester 92 that I haven't shot in ten years but on occasion I take it out after seeing a John Wayne movie or an episode of the Rifleman. Its just one of those things where its cool to have.
The AR you have can be fun, cool, and also the best tool to save your life if you know how to run it properly. The best thing is you already have one and you didn't pay a lot for it. Keep it. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top