JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too small and I don't shoot many hammer fired guns so I prefer to stick with striker (or at least internally hammer fired for sake of familiarity).
Does anyone offer a conversion for one of the full size you like? Seems like there is a LOT of 22 conversion kits now for just that reason. Often fairly pricey to buy and mags tend to be expensive but, they do have the advantage of letting you shoot cheap ammo in the gun you use for general use.

Well, the Browning Buckmarks are reliable and easy to maintain, but they are not similar to your standard semi-auto. Then there are the Baby 1911 Browning 22LR's; they're nice, but rather costly. If I wanted one similar to a everyday semi-auto, I'd probably by the S&W M&P 22LR that you already mentioned. I've often thought about buying one, but since I have the Buckmarks (a Practical and Hunter models) and also an S&W Model 617 revolver, I don't really want another one. I did buy a PMR 30 22WMR though; it's lots of fun . . . but not as cheap to shoot as LR unfortunately.

Last Edited:
Ok, here ya go...

View attachment 645519
1577868670538.png

:D
OP asked for a pistol. A revolver is not a pistol

Browning Buck Mark Micro (4" barrel). I like the feel of Buck Marks better than the Ruger Mk II I had. Mine (5.5") has been completely reliable. I just bought my third - the Micro model.

No, this isn't a drill. I am seriously considering a pistol in .22lr. Before everyone goes and suggests a Ruger MK, I have had a couple and they aren't my bag.

My main reasons for wanting one is cheap practice and working with new shooters. This may come as a surprise to some, but I am an avid Glock shooter and I EDC one. NOT because they are the "best". In fact, I can shoot many other pistols better. When I say better, I mean slightly tighter groups. I don't shoot handguns for pinpoint accuracy, I shoot them to practice self defense and quick threat stoppage. That being said, I trust Glocks 100% so they are what I spend my money on.

But, the G44......nope. Here's why:
It's a G19 sized gun. Not my favorite. The G19 is great, but it doesn't do anything particularly well IMO. A bit too small for my hands, a bit too large for some to carry. I personally EDC a G45 so what do I know? :D
Polymer slide. Eh....no.
10 round capacity. Not a deal breaker, but I don't get it.
Did I mention the polymer slide? This thing may be as close to a Glock 7 as we'll ever see. :D

So....I went and handled a few other offerings. The Taurus TX-22 and the Smith M&P22. The Taurus felt cheap (go figure) and the fit and finish really turned me off.

The M&P...I liked it. The full size version more than the compact. I've owned several M&Ps and find them to be good guns that I shoot well.

Any other ideas? I'm not looking for a "target" style gun like the Ruger MK. I'm looking for something that is similar to larger caliber "duty weapons".

For the sake of less redundant posts, pretend the G44 hasn't been announced yet. :)

Appreciate any input.
I agree the S&W M&P is an excellent pistol, threaded barrel, windage /elevation rear good feel.

Taurus TX22. Fully-adjustable sights, excellent trigger, NOT munchkin sized, 16 round magazines for defensive us. And affordable priced. I LOVE mine (although my CZ75 with .22 Kadet Kit is narrowly my favorite).

Taurus-TX22-Pistol-600x473.jpg

No, this isn't a drill. I am seriously considering a pistol in .22lr. Before everyone goes and suggests a Ruger MK, I have had a couple and they aren't my bag.

My main reasons for wanting one is cheap practice and working with new shooters. This may come as a surprise to some, but I am an avid Glock shooter and I EDC one. NOT because they are the "best". In fact, I can shoot many other pistols better. When I say better, I mean slightly tighter groups. I don't shoot handguns for pinpoint accuracy, I shoot them to practice self defense and quick threat stoppage. That being said, I trust Glocks 100% so they are what I spend my money on.

But, the G44......nope. Here's why:
It's a G19 sized gun. Not my favorite. The G19 is great, but it doesn't do anything particularly well IMO. A bit too small for my hands, a bit too large for some to carry. I personally EDC a G45 so what do I know? :D
Polymer slide. Eh....no.
10 round capacity. Not a deal breaker, but I don't get it.
Did I mention the polymer slide? This thing may be as close to a Glock 7 as we'll ever see. :D

So....I went and handled a few other offerings. The Taurus TX-22 and the Smith M&P22. The Taurus felt cheap (go figure) and the fit and finish really turned me off.

The M&P...I liked it. The full size version more than the compact. I've owned several M&Ps and find them to be good guns that I shoot well.

Any other ideas? I'm not looking for a "target" style gun like the Ruger MK. I'm looking for something that is similar to larger caliber "duty weapons".

For the sake of less redundant posts, pretend the G44 hasn't been announced yet. :)

Appreciate any input.

If you shoot the TX22 (comes with 2 -16 round clips), has adjustable sights W/H and it's striker fired unlike the other 22s, you will buy it. My sights were dead on out of the box. I took my grand daughter shooting for her first time and she put 14 rounds on the target at 20', yes it's a great trainer and it's so light fully loaded you can carry it all day and hardly notice it. 500 rounds so far and not a single jam pulling the trigger as fast as I can a whole lot of the time. No need to say I love mine.

Taurus TX22. Fully-adjustable sights, excellent trigger, NOT munchkin sized, 16 round magazines for defensive us. And affordable priced. I LOVE mine (although my CZ75 with .22 Kadet Kit is narrowly my favorite).

View attachment 646098
Had all kinds of Taurus's last 20 years & happy to see the last one go about 8 Mo ago. Taurus customer service/quality is something to be desired. As for me
I will keep my Colt, S&W, High Standard & Browning 22LR Pistols.

Too small and I don't shoot many hammer fired guns so I prefer to stick with striker (or at least internally hammer fired for sake of familiarity).

Have you handled or shot the SR22? If not, go do that before buying anything else. Its not that small...it's reliable & accurate as all hell and will take anything you feed it. I have one with a threaded barrel and it is fun and cheap to shoot for hours. You simply cannot go wrong with having one in your shooter collection. Comes with two interchangeable grips, two 10-rd mags and available in a host of color options....if thats a thing for consideration.

***By the way, no matter what .22 you end up with, CCI Stinger ammo is the way to go.

Have you handled or shot the SR22? If not, go do that before buying anything else. Its not that small...it's reliable & accurate as all hell and will take anything you feed it. I have one with a threaded barrel and it is fun and cheap to shoot for hours. You simply cannot go wrong with having one in your shooter collection. Comes with two interchangeable grips, two 10-rd mags and available in a host of color options....if thats a thing for consideration.

***By the way, no matter what .22 you end up with, CCI Stinger ammo is the way to go.
Had a SR22, unfortunately mine was not accurate & had problems..The only plastic Pistol a ended up with was S&W M&P. The rest of mine are old school metal. I do like CCI, Ely, Wolf & Federal Gold ammo.

I'll preface this by saying guessing this will get torpedoed, but it worked for us for over a decade of shooting. That and pretty much anything .22LR bores me, so not really up on what the latest and greatest is. Agreed on the Glock 44; even if I was a Glock guy, it would still be a yawn. (Polymer frame? Seriously?)

Those caveats aside, we've really liked our Walther P22.* It was original acquired so that my Smurf size sidekick could practice with a handgun similar to her P99 carry piece. It has worked for that. We then adapted to run with a silencer and it can be fun to plink with said when in the right mood.

Quality control seems to be an issue from what I've read on the Interatubes. Ours has been 100% excellent and does anything I'd expect a .22 pistol from a mainstream company to do. Others do not report the same. YMMV.

View attachment 645523
Likewise here, although I have the p22QD which is the newer version and fixed the failure to feed issues that some of the earlier models had. Mine will literally shoot pretty much anything. It will cycle with subsonics just fine (but not cci quiet 22, which nothing can cycle). Even my 15 year old blazer crap ammo it was cycling. That old blazer stuff some rounds sound like squibs or primer only they were so bad. I shoot mine both suppressed and In suppressed. It comes with an extra set of tall sights for suppressor use and also a couple different back straps and 2 mags.

The most reliable semi auto 22 pistol I've ever had and I've had LOADs of them over the years (many of which were piss-poor tbh). Trigger is excellent on it. I highly recommend it. Can find for as low as $219 on sale but $249 is more common sale price.

Also if u go to brownells or tandemkross website u can find mag extenders for $26 for 2. It will increase mag capacity to 15 rounds and also give u a longer, more comfortable grip. Tandemkross is the brand name. They are reliable.

Also u can change to a 5" barrel for $109 from optics planet. Looks a little weird to me with longer barrel but makes it more of a target gun I suppose.

Last Edited:
Good to know. I haven't really followed it, but I've seen enough comments here and on an NFA board I frequent that it seems 50/50 split between "It's great and never misses a beat" to "Utter garbage; don't buy one". Dunno. I know ours runs like a top as do the other three Walthers (P1, P99, PPK/S) in the battery. (Though I am considering selling the P1 only because yet another nine is kind of redundant at this point.)
The reason is some of the original ones, the p22, had failure to feed issues. The newer one, called p22QD, fixed those issues. Good video on it here:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top