JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a couple of weeks ago we went out to The Tillamook to look for mushrooms and stopped by the beaver Dam Pit. You ought to consider yourself lucky, because 99% of what we saw there was .22lr. Now if shotgun hulls were worth a nickel? :s0115: Puckin' Fig shot gunners.:s0117:

At the pit range I frequent, every time I go there now there's somebody just sitting in a car waiting for people to leave to go pick up brass. Sometimes pretty sketchy looking. It used to be an endless supply of reloading brass (*) but now you have to get lucky to find anything aside from .22s, shotshells, and steel cases. It annoys me that my brass supply has dried up.

(*) It used to be so good I'd turn my nose up at headstamps I didn't want.

At the pit range I frequent, every time I go there now there's somebody just sitting in a car waiting for people to leave to go pick up brass. Sometimes pretty sketchy looking. It used to be an endless supply of reloading brass (*) but now you have to get lucky to find anything aside from .22s, shotshells, and steel cases. It annoys me that my brass supply has dried up.

Seems sort of self defeating for the scrappers/canners/homeless to drive the distances to shooting areas and pick up$10.00-$15.00-even $20.00 worth of bass? It' not like their driving real economical cars or anything? And the shooting areas aren't generally only 10 miles from town!

That's what I've experienced too. Last year I did a cleanup on July 25th some great volunteers, some from this site and Waguns. Thanks guys and gals.
On July 28Th I walk in to check there and this is what I saw...:mad::mad::mad:

BD20A70D-8B33-4BC9-B55C-B3BC46485DE0.jpeg

I pulled my trash barrels and left scathing signs.... :mad::mad::mad:
From then on my supply has dwindled, then DNR lands were closed and more traffic came and even less brass...:mad::mad::mad:

6CBF7220-61A1-47C0-8A59-BD83F535704F.jpeg

Seems sort of self defeating for the scrappers/canners/homeless to drive the distances to shooting areas and pick up$10.00-$15.00-even $20.00 worth of bass? It' not like their driving real economical cars or anything? And the shooting areas aren't generally only 10 miles from town!

Last time I was there, it was a guy in an old small car - like the size of 20 year old Corolla.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's logical, but they're always there always scraping up the brass. I even talked to one once just to satisfy my curiosity -- he wasn't a reloader but was there with his girlfriend and a kid, all of them scrounging.

Last time I was there, it was a guy in an old small car - like the size of 20 year old Corolla.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's logical, but they're always there always scraping up the brass. I even talked to one once just to satisfy my curiosity -- he wasn't a reloader but was there with his girlfriend and a kid, all of them scrounging.

One time we were going to the Tillamook and stopped at the pit and there was a gal there picking brass. This was a few years ago, when things were such that people still left brass on the ground. I chatted briefly with her, it dawned on me later that I should have talked to her about buying what she'd picked up. She told be she had got a bunch of .357mag that day. It might be a decent idea to see if you could get to know one of these folks enough get brass from them. Scrapping usable brass is a cardinal sin, and I'd gladly pay more than scrap for it. Separate, run through the polisher and sell back to the people who'd use it. For a reasonable price of course.

Well, I finally got around to doing the initial cleaning and sorting on the load of brass I picked back on 11/15. I was actually really surprised by the findings.
1606284984999.png

I guess I expected a greater mix of calibers in everything I picked up, but in reality it was extremely homogeneous and was comprised of what I came to refer to as, "The Big 4."

With the exception of about 25-30 cases, it was was made up entirely of .223 / 5.56, .45, .40, and 9mm. The final tally...........

• .45 (76)
• .40 (119)
• .223 (152)
• 9mm (300+)

SO, now I see the need for a wet tumbler. These need a deep cleaning that my dry tumbler just can't manage! OH WELL, guess I'll just HAVE to get another tool for the reloading bench!

Well, I finally got around to doing the initial cleaning and sorting on the load of brass I picked back on 11/15. I was actually really surprised by the findings.
View attachment 782550

I guess I expected a greater mix of calibers in everything I picked up, but in reality it was extremely homogeneous and was comprised of what I came to refer to as, "The Big 4."

With the exception of about 25-30 cases, it was was made up entirely of .223 / 5.56, .45, .40, and 9mm. The final tally...........

• .45 (76)
• .40 (119)
• .223 (152)
• 9mm (300+)

SO, now I see the need for a wet tumbler. These need a deep cleaning that my dry tumbler just can't manage! OH WELL, guess I'll just HAVE to get another tool for the reloading bench!

Nice haul.
I just bit the bullet on one of these just arrived yesterday.:D:D:D

26C0AAEC-7D34-4160-AE18-6EB822F52C0F.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR