Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

im annoyed with the 22/45

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Outdoorxj, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Outdoorxj

Outdoorxj Wilsonville Active Member

so i disassemble the 22/45 mkiii and now i have it back together. but the bolt sometimes wont go back all the way or if it does it is really hard to pull back and wont go back in unless i push the bolt manually. and the magazine will not go in/ and or will not come out without having to force it....

Ive watched many videos and other fourms but still cant figure this damn thing out, any ideas...

i did not lose pieces and assembled it correctly.

2. Outdoorxj

but once i get the magazine out and have the mainspring open. the bolt moves with ease.

3. SinisterSouthpaw

SinisterSouthpaw SW WA Active Member

The cure is to follow the reassembly instructions in the owner's manual EXACTLY especially the parts about tilt the gun this way and do this and then tilt it that way and do that-- I don't shoot mine often enough to have it memorized, so I get out the manual every time I take it apart. If I don't, I have that same exact problem and KNOW I put it back together right....but I didn't.

4. Jammer Six

Jammer Six North Greenlake, Seattle New Member

I use one for teaching. I was excited about the design for that reason-- but yes, they're even more of a pain than standard Rugers from an assembly-disassembly point of view.

5. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

When sticking it back together, insert mag pull trigger to get hammer to go forward, then remove mag and finish inserting takedown lever all the way. The hammer has to go forward when assembling, but wont if u dont pop the mag in and hit the mag disconnect to get the hammer to fall.

Sorry that may sound confusing, me tired

6. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

The solution to your problem is to sell it to me for $50.00

7. Outdoorxj

I did the magazine trick and it still seems to get stuck. sometimes when i press to release the magazine it comes flying out. I will go to where i bought it and they said they can show me. I gave up. I did everything like i should have. thanks for the advice everyone.

8. Outdoorxj

Ok so i got the bolt cycling but sometimes it is hard to pull after dry firing it. i have to give it a good tug, but than it cycles fine... any ideas?

9. HenryJ

HenryJ Eastern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I have a brand newish 22-45. It's had 2 rounds through it thus far.
    Pulling (racking) the bolt back, is work, feels real stiff.
    When cleaned and oiled and shot more, I expect it to be smoother.

A modified way to rack the bolt.
    Hold pistol out, elbow locked.
    Grasp bolt with "off" hand, elbow locked.
    Rotate torso so "off" arm pulls the bolt back and "gun" hand pushes forward.
    Torso muscles do all the work.

The magazine well.
    The magazine is centered in the magazine well by 5 ribs and the mainspring housing.
    Ensure the magazine well is cleaned of dust, dirt, powder residue.
    Lubricate the cleaned magazine well with a couple drops of gun oil on a clean patch or rag.

The magazine
    Notice that the back (spine) of the magazine is welded (and not very smooth)
    Sand, hone the spine smooth using a hone block, flat sharpening stone, etc.
    Search results for: 'hone block'
    I used a 260 grit hone block from harbor freight for this example.
    I removed the base (while inside a pillow case) so the body would lay flat on my scanner.
    Watch out for the spring and plunger, travels far when the spring sproiings!
    magazine spine0001.jpg
    Two passes with my hone block. Not too much. Will polish with a 600 grit stone later.
    Clean and lightly oil the outer metal, wipe with a clean rag.

magazine spine0001.jpg

11. SinisterSouthpaw

SinisterSouthpaw SW WA Active Member

If I had read the owner/instruction manual--like I should have-before- buying it and seen the ridiculous, counterintuitive reassembly instructions, I would have never bought my 22/45 MKII. That would have made me miss out on one of the most accurate and fun to shoot .22lr pistols ever made. Still, the design leaves much to be desired from the maintenance, as we have all seen, we 22/45 owners. The situation does not require that we shave parts and resort to "magazine tricks" never intended or sanctioned by the manufacturer.

Since the OP was about a 22/45 MKII we have to deal with the problem as pertains to the MKII--mine is a MKII, but I thought maybe there was some change after mine was made and these oddball "tricks" were called for. A quick trip to the Ruger website reveals that the manual and takedown/reassembly procedure is the same for my 1997 vintage as for the last year of the MKII. So--possibly these "tricks" are needed for the MKIII? Again a trip to Ruger's website tells us that the owner/operator manual says--well did we really think they would recommend you shave metal off the parts--get real folks!! As for the Magazine trick--it applies to the MKIII and only in certain circumstances, covered in the manual.

I am guessing that the OP bought the pistol used without a manual and for whatever reason, did not go to the Ruger website to get one.

UPDATE: there is a reason that MKIII and/or MKII is experessed in all caps--it's because blind old geezers like me can't see MKiii in the middle of a sentence......................

12. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

The more you do it, the easier it gets. The gun breaks in and loosens up and it gets easier. I have literally had my fleet of 6 mk series rugers apart and back together nearly a hundred times. Yes it's hard and intimidating and difficult the first few times, but I think they are worth it as they are excellent shooters.

When the bolt does not come back with normal force, you have put the gun together incorrectly.

13. Outdoorxj

Thanks to all, i figured it out. It took lots of time and practice, SOB to do but it has gotten easier. All seems to be fine, i think the initial pulling of the bolt is a little tough, but nothing that needs major force.

14. Steelfisher

Steelfisher PDX Member

I've got a pretty new 22/45 and it is also tough to pull the bolt back after dry firing. It functions great except for that little quirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Outdoorxj

yeah i wonder if there is anything to fix that?

16. twowheels

twowheels portland, OR Active Member

They are a pia. Next time you pull it apart you should consider installing a volquartsen trigger and sear, pull out the magazine disconnector and putting in a spacer, and setting it so you can sligshot it. I did all of that to mine before I even shot it. With the magazine disconnector out, you don't have to do all of the insert magazine pull trigger pull magazine out BS. The volq parts will give you a nice crisp 3 pound or so trigger. But you still have to do the tilt and pull stuff to get it all back together.

BaggerRyder likes this.
  17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Never dry fire a rimfire, it can damage the chamber (on most rimfires)

If you want to do so the only safe way is to have a fired case in the chamber, a real hassle

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

22/45's are my worst nightmare to dis/reassemble.

And as Blitz mentioned, never dry fire a rimfire.....sure fire ( no pun intended) way to break something.

19. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

I've heard that over and over.. but my rim fires so far still fire with no issues despite dry firing... worse case scenario I buy a cheap replacement part...

still it's the prevailing advice.. I'm just saying I haven't followed it and so far things still go bang...

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

It damages the chamber. You been warned :)