JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm absolutely furious about the damage one of my poor firearms got today. So, a friend of mine is at the house excitedly telling me all about the new 1911 he had purchased a few days ago. He knows I love 1911s and asked if I'd show him how to disassemble one for cleaning. Sure I say, no problem at all. Off to the safe I go, and back I come with two flawless 1911s for demonstration purposes. I hand him one to take apart with me. Yeah, you know where this is going. I now have an idiot scratch on my Springfield Mil-Spec that goes from the trigger guard all the way to the top of the god forsaken slide. I should have known better. He felt terrible about it, but I could have throttled him anyway. I explained about the idiot scratch several times before we got started. Argh! I wish I could cuss here.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Next time purchase stainless 1911s so when friends do that you can at least polish out the scratch LOL (sorry, yeah it sucks).

A nasty idiot mark probably devalues a 1911 by $100.00.

If I did that to your 1911 I would be handing you $100.00 for my carelessness. Wouldn't make up for it, but the gesture would be heartfelt and more than a passing apology.

I've never been anal about honest scratches or mars on my firearms, nor on my trucks. I've always viewed both as tools that get used, and bubblegum happens.

That said... I'll always caterwaul and raise cain on the first ding, dent or scratch on a new truck or a new or pristine firearm. I'm always grateful to get that stage over with so wood can be freely thrown in the bed of the truck, the gun can freely be handed to the less experienced to use, and I can quit pretending I'm HoneyBooBoo and move on with the scratch and dent realities of life.

I feel your pain... even if it seems to be self inflicted from here. If I was as concerned about the finish of my 1911 as you are, the wise thing would have been to have the friend bring his OWN 1911 over for a lesson. I say this not to you, as you are painfully aware now, but to other readers who may encounter this neighborly quandary in the future.

I've have made the 'no good deed goes unpunished' mistake many, many times in my life.

That said, most of the individuals I have made that mistake over have looked very nice in a bikini, had great curves, perky breasts, or a to die for butt. A dude, not so much.

A man being a fool for a female is forgiven for no one can cast the first stone. Here, you worthless bimbo, scratch up my 1911 and make it up to me ....

Many years ago I was taking some guitar lessons. I had my flawless Martin with me.

I can still remember what the instructor told me..."put in a gunny sack, attach it to the bumper and drive around the block"

Our toys will get dinged...now go and enjoy your Springer!

Be well,
Will

A nasty idiot mark probably devalues a 1911 by $100.00.

If I did that to your 1911 I would be handing you $100.00 for my carelessness. Wouldn't make up for it, but the gesture would be heartfelt and more than a passing apology.

Paying $100 doesn't take the scratch away. So years down the road although he was compensated some cash will look down and still get sick to his stomach because of his friends careless mistake. So his buddy although expensive should if not offer to replace his pistol at least offer to replace the slide. That's IMO.

John Moses Browning was probably the first to "idiot scratch" the 1911 pistol and he was no idiot.
Mistakes happen. Firearms come and go, but good friends are scarce, so try being the better man and let it go.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top