JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Someone in a previous post mentioned that in the past they have supported "the other party". I didn't know that before today.

If you are a NRA member you can go to <broken link removed> and see NRA endorsements from past elections. It is somewhat tedious and time-consuming to go through each state, but here are just a few examples from two states (Florida and Georgia) of Democrats that the NRA endorsed in 2010:

Allen Boyd (D) Florida US House District 2
Bill Montford (D) Florida state senate District 6
Leonard Bembry (D) Florida state house District 10
Debbie Boyd (D) Florida state house District 11
Dean Cannon (D) Florida state house District 35
Darren Soto (D) Florida state house District 49
Ron Saunders (D) Florida state house District 120

Sanford Bishop (D) Georgia US House District 2
Jim Marshall (D) Georgia US House District 8
John Barrow (D) Georgia US House District 12
Lester G. Jackson (D) Georgia state senate District 2
Curt Thompson (D) Georgia state senate District 5
Doug Stoner (D) Georgia state senate District 6
Freddie Powell Sims (D) Georgia state senate District 12
George Hooks (D) Georgia state senate District 14
Hardie Davis (D) Georgia state senate District 22
Steve Henson (D) Georgia state senate District 41
Barbara Massey Reece (D) Georgia state house District 11
Rick Crawford (D) Georgia state house District 16
Alan Powell (D) Georgia state house District 29
Pedro Pete Marin (D) Georgia state house District 96
Hugh Floyd (D) Georgia state house District 99
Helen G. Sistie Hudson (D) Georgia state house District 124
Mack Jackson (D) Georgia state house District 142
Bob Hanner (D) Georgia state house District 148
Bob Bryant (D) Georgia state house District 160
Ellis Black (D) Georgia state house District 174

Again, it is not the NRA's fault that more Republicans than Democrats are pro-gun rights, or that so many Democratic politicians are anti-gun rights. If more Democrats were pro-gun rights the NRA would endorse more Democrats, it's as simple as that. The notion that the NRA is a wing of the Republican party is propaganda. One of the reasons the NRA is so effective is that they are pro-gun rights, period. They have not attached themselves to one party, so they remain effective no matter which party temporarily holds power.

Hi All,
First off, I know I "can" join the NRA. I'm wondering if I can do it without harming, hindering or otherwise going against my other political principles. I really don't want to sidetrack the discussion by going into the validity of those other beliefs. So, hopefully we can leave it at this:
1) I cherish the second ammendment and the rights that it grants.
2) For better or for worse gun rights are the domain and political property of the political right.
3) I'm a leftie in almost all other ways. Not a democrat, they aren't anywhere near far enough left.
So, here is my fear. Every dolar that I give to the NRA goes into the pocket of someone who, while they fight for my second ammendment rights, is also working against gay marriage, or is trying to dismantle labor unions, or is a climate sceptic, etc.
Again, please, let's try to stay on topic. Can a leftie, in good conscience, join the NRA?

#1 If your name is Oscar Ortega NO you cannot join
#2 Rights are not "Granted" they can only be enumerated have you ever read the founding documents?
#3 Yes you are a HUGE LEFTY, I can tell by your marginal literacy
#4 Who told you that you support Gay Marrige, the same guy that told you killing unborn children is a good thing to do, just like letting Pediophile murders out of jail is "Good"?

the NRA is probably about half democrats to begin with.

i'm personally not an NRA member. the NRA has sold us out time after time. they're led by Fudds and work toward Fudd goals. when they get some backbone and decide to take a hard-line for the Constitution, i'll reappraise... till then- the center can have it.

and i cant believe we're humoring this obvious troll...

#1 If your name is Oscar Ortega NO you cannot join
#2 Rights are not "Granted" they can only be enumerated have you ever read the founding documents?
#3 Yes you are a HUGE LEFTY, I can tell by your marginal literacy
#4 Who told you that you support Gay Marrige, the same guy that told you killing unborn children is a good thing to do, just like letting Pediophile murders out of jail is "Good"?

When I read your posts, I visualize a guy with white face paint and a big red rubber nose driving a tiny little car, tooting a big horn...

the NRA is probably about half democrats to begin with.

i'm personally not an NRA member. the NRA has sold us out time after time. they're led by Fudds and work toward Fudd goals. when they get some backbone and decide to take a hard-line for the Constitution, i'll reappraise... till then- the center can have it.

and i cant believe we're humoring this obvious troll...

Preach on, brother.

Look at the flip side of the coin: every time you support someone who is working for gay marriage, or is trying to strengthen labor unions, or believes in human-caused climate change, you are likely to be supporting someone who wants to severely restrict your Second Amendment rights.

What a huge load of bovine scat.

Wow. In Oregon, they refused to support a Democrat they gave an A grade over a Republican with no grade. The comments by some of the leadership (the stupid "Obama hasn't done anything anti-gun, which is proof that he's anti-gun" crap,) combined with prior experience had likely poisoned me against them. I'll have to pay more attention this election cycle. If I don't see any more obvious one-party partisanship, I'll give 'em another chance. (I always write my own letters to congresspeople. Personalized letters always go over better than a "click-and-send" form letter.)

Thanks for looking those 2 states up BSG. I'm too lazy to look up the other 48, but I know that the Harry Reid support by the NRA caused some conflict last go round. Reid is pro-second amendment, they supported him over a republican. Good for them. I'm an NRA member, who else will lobby for that?

If you are a NRA member you can go to <broken link removed> and see NRA endorsements from past elections. It is somewhat tedious and time-consuming to go through each state, but here are just a few examples from two states (Florida and Georgia) of Democrats that the NRA endorsed in 2010:

Allen Boyd (D) Florida US House District 2
Bill Montford (D) Florida state senate District 6
Leonard Bembry (D) Florida state house District 10
Debbie Boyd (D) Florida state house District 11
Dean Cannon (D) Florida state house District 35
Darren Soto (D) Florida state house District 49
Ron Saunders (D) Florida state house District 120

Sanford Bishop (D) Georgia US House District 2
Jim Marshall (D) Georgia US House District 8
John Barrow (D) Georgia US House District 12
Lester G. Jackson (D) Georgia state senate District 2
Curt Thompson (D) Georgia state senate District 5
Doug Stoner (D) Georgia state senate District 6
Freddie Powell Sims (D) Georgia state senate District 12
George Hooks (D) Georgia state senate District 14
Hardie Davis (D) Georgia state senate District 22
Steve Henson (D) Georgia state senate District 41
Barbara Massey Reece (D) Georgia state house District 11
Rick Crawford (D) Georgia state house District 16
Alan Powell (D) Georgia state house District 29
Pedro Pete Marin (D) Georgia state house District 96
Hugh Floyd (D) Georgia state house District 99
Helen G. Sistie Hudson (D) Georgia state house District 124
Mack Jackson (D) Georgia state house District 142
Bob Hanner (D) Georgia state house District 148
Bob Bryant (D) Georgia state house District 160
Ellis Black (D) Georgia state house District 174

Again, it is not the NRA's fault that more Republicans than Democrats are pro-gun rights, or that so many Democratic politicians are anti-gun rights. If more Democrats were pro-gun rights the NRA would endorse more Democrats, it's as simple as that. The notion that the NRA is a wing of the Republican party is propaganda. One of the reasons the NRA is so effective is that they are pro-gun rights, period. They have not attached themselves to one party, so they remain effective no matter which party temporarily holds power.

Here's another interesting point: the NRA did not endorse the Republican opponent of Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR) in the 2010 election, even though the Republican had an "A" rating based on his answers to a gun rights questionnaire. Perhaps it was because DeFazio has not been strongly anti-gun rights and earned a "B" rating from the NRA. You would think that if the NRA is as pro-Republican as they have been accused they would have supported the Republican, but they didn't. The NRA was neutral in that race and didn't endorse either candidate.

Yeah, I didn't pay attention to them in 2010. Now that I go back and look, they stayed neutral on DeFazio, and endorsed Schrader. Definitely going to reconsider NRA membership now... Staying neutral on equals is fine, and the endorsement of Schrader is exactly the opposite of what they did previously, so that shows the non-partisanship I had missed.

Yeah, I didn't pay attention to them in 2010. Now that I go back and look, they stayed neutral on DeFazio, and endorsed Schrader. Definitely going to reconsider NRA membership now... Staying neutral on equals is fine, and the endorsement of Schrader is exactly the opposite of what they did previously, so that shows the non-partisanship I had missed.

Sometimes NRA endorsement doesn't hinge just on voting record on gun issues. For example, the NRA came close to endorsing Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV), "B" NRA grade over Republican Sharron Angle, "A" NRA grade in 2010. However, the NRA was upset with Reid's support of the nominations of Justices Sotomayor and Kagan - both considered anti-gun rights by the NRA - to the US Supreme Court. But even after that, and even though Angle had a higher NRA grade, the NRA stayed neutral and didn't endorse either candidate.

So you can't just look at the NRA grade and predict who the NRA will endorse. There are sometimes other factors, but those other factors are still related to gun politics, not party affiliation.

Preach on, brother.

highfive.jpg [/IMG]

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top