JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how this fits into the mix. But I did not transfer my handgun to CFO I handed it to a Portland Police Officer who asked if it worked I said "Yep" The officer handed me a slip of paper that had Handgun $100.00 checked off of a list. I stepped to the left and a Woman said Fred Meyers or Safeway I said "Safeway" she counted out and handed me 4 $25.00 gift cards. The woman never took possision of the handgun. It went from the Police officer to another Person connected to the police who then placed it in a large box.

Where was the transfer of ownership?

Yes, CeaseFire Oregon Held an Illegal Gun Show on May 11th, 2013.

As reported and documented by strimedia.com CeaseFire Oregon may have held an illegal gun show on May 11th, 2013. According to ORS 166.432 which defines a "gun show" it appears CeaseFire Org did in fact hold an illegal gun show since this event at had more than 25 firearms are on site and available for transfer.

Oregon statutes that applies to Ceasefire's event:

ORS 166.432 defines a "gun show" as "an event at which more than 25 firearms are on site and available for transfer."

ORS 166.438 (1) A transferor other than a gun dealer may not transfer a firearm at a gun show unless the transferor:

(a)(A) Requests a criminal background check under ORS 166.436 prior to completing the transfer;

(B) Receives notification that the recipient is qualified to complete the transfer; and

(C) Has the recipient complete the form described in ORS 166.441; or

(b) Completes the transfer through a gun dealer.

And later in 166.438 "(3) A person who organizes a gun show shall post in a prominent place at the gun show a notice explaining the requirements of subsections (1) and (2) of this section. The person shall provide the form required by subsection (1) of this section to any person transferring a firearm at the gun show." followed by "(5)(a) Failure to comply with the requirements of subsection (1), (2) or (3) of this section is a Class A misdemeanor."

Link to article: <broken link removed>

Yes, CeaseFire Oregon Held an Illegal Gun Show on May 11th, 2013.

As reported and documented by strimedia.com CeaseFire Oregon may have held an illegal gun show on May 11th, 2013. According to ORS 166.432 which defines a "gun show" it appears CeaseFire Org did in fact hold an illegal gun show since this event at had more than 25 firearms are on site and available for transfer.

Oregon statutes that applies to Ceasefire's event:

ORS 166.432 defines a "gun show" as "an event at which more than 25 firearms are on site and available for transfer."

ORS 166.438 (1) A transferor other than a gun dealer may not transfer a firearm at a gun show unless the transferor:

(a)(A) Requests a criminal background check under ORS 166.436 prior to completing the transfer;

(B) Receives notification that the recipient is qualified to complete the transfer; and

(C) Has the recipient complete the form described in ORS 166.441; or

(b) Completes the transfer through a gun dealer.

And later in 166.438 "(3) A person who organizes a gun show shall post in a prominent place at the gun show a notice explaining the requirements of subsections (1) and (2) of this section. The person shall provide the form required by subsection (1) of this section to any person transferring a firearm at the gun show." followed by "(5)(a) Failure to comply with the requirements of subsection (1), (2) or (3) of this section is a Class A misdemeanor."

Link to article: <broken link removed>

I sent an email to CeaseFire Oregon about this issue. I received the following response today.

Dear Mr. XXXX(I removed my name),
We have shared your concerns with the Portland Police Department which is the receiving agency for all of the weapons and ammunition collected. If you have further questions about the legality of the gun turn-in, please feel free to contact Sgt. Tim Sessions of the Portland Police.

The Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation

I URGE OTHERS to contact Sgt. Tim Sessions of the Portland Police to find out why they allowed Ceasefire Oregon to break the law by holding an illegal gun show. Time to shut this illegal activity down!

Liberals never follow their own rules.

I could care less. Who cares what other people do to the things they bought.

What is that saying? Those who beat their swords into plows, will plow for those who don't.

That's how I feel about the whole thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Is this the gunshow loophole they are always talking about on the news? How is it not a transfer? It's going from one persons hands to another and the first person is not going home with the gun. How can we not understand simple english?

Transfer is probably an old word that is out of date... Like shall not be infringed and Congress shall make no law... yada yada yada.

Not sure how this fits into the mix. But I did not transfer my handgun to CFO I handed it to a Portland Police Officer who asked if it worked I said "Yep" The officer handed me a slip of paper that had Handgun $100.00 checked off of a list. I stepped to the left and a Woman said Fred Meyers or Safeway I said "Safeway" she counted out and handed me 4 $25.00 gift cards. The woman never took possision of the handgun. It went from the Police officer to another Person connected to the police who then placed it in a large box.

I would say that they (Portland police) purchased your handgun for $100 as stated on the receipt/bill of sale. You could also look at it as SFO purchased it and they just have the police there to handle the weapons safely or as volunteer security. The way to look at it is they call it a "buy back" so that in itself constitutes admission of a transfer. That they are melting them into bricks rather than auctioning them off is another issue. May also look into 166.470-2 as to transfering a possibly stolen firearm seeing as how they state "no questions asked".

I would say that they (Portland police) purchased your handgun for $100 as stated on the receipt/bill of sale. You could also look at it as SFO purchased it and they just have the police there to handle the weapons safely or as volunteer security. The way to look at it is they call it a "buy back" so that in itself constitutes admission of a transfer. That they are melting them into bricks rather than auctioning them off is another issue. May also look into 166.470-2 as to transfering a possibly stolen firearm seeing as how they state "no questions asked".

No receipt or bill of sale was given. nor was my name or any other info.

The only two words I said during the whole "transfer" was "Yep" and "Safeway"

The key here is you no longer have that firearm. You relinquished ownership of it and now someone or some organization owns it.
Call it whatever you want but ownership of that firearm transferred. If it didn't you would still have it.

I went to one of these years ago...was a joke. Although I brought some old single shot shotgun recievers.(stripped) I had a short argument about how the reciever was by BATFE rules, the serial numberd part thus technically a firearm and all other parts could be acquired without any regulatory oversight. They didnt like it. and i walked away without a thing..but what they were giving out wasnt as good as a $100 gift card. Maybe i should show up at the next one..and try it again with the video camera rolling. should be fun to watch em squirm again as they contradict themselves.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top