JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I just bought a new black collar arms pork sword in .308 for big game hunting this year. However, a coworker just informed me that CO requires a minimum 16" barrel for big game. What!! This is BS, right?

CPW website states that a rifle cartridge must have a minimum of 1,000 fps at 100 yards, which the ballistic data proves the pork sword can achieve, and beyond!!

I called CPW to verify, and after 30 mins of waiting on hold, they couldn't determine whether it is legal or not!! Instead they told me they would confirm with local authorities and call me back with their decision. This is complete BS I feel!!

The pork sword was designed with the big game hunter in mind who wants the same takedown power in a smaller, lightweight, compact package.

Any thoughts on how I can handle this if CPW deems it as an illegal hunting firearm???
20210816_153217.jpg 20210816_153224.jpg 20210816_153248.jpg

Welcome to the forum and I think a good start would be a copy of your own state hunting synopsis or online.

I am sure CO hunting regs are online.

a coworker just informed me that CO requires a minimum 16" barrel for big game. What!! This is BS, right?
Not necessarily. CO regs may consider a barrel less than 16" to be a handgun and possibly fall under handgun hunting regs (if you have them).

Just a question but have you ever hunted before?

Last Edited:
I'd find the recorded rules on hunting in that state and then compare what you are trying to do with what the rules say. If there is a conflict, then you'd have to go through the process of trying to convince whoever is in charge of creating hunting rules for that state, why what you are trying to do shouldn't conflict with it.

Some states require that you get a special tag to hunt with a pistol, which that is. If you are allowed to hunt with pistols in Colorado, and there aren't any caliber limitations to what pistols you can hunt with, you should be good to go.

It's a pistol...right? I just copied Colorado's regulations, that I found online, to hunt big game with a handgun:

6. HANDGUNS
a. Barrel must be a minimum of 4 inches long.
b. Must use a minimum .24-caliber (6 mm) in diameter expanding bullet. c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited.
d. Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft.-
pounds at 50 yards as rated by manufacturer.

EZ

Have you chronographed that barrel? You'll be surprised how much less velocity it makes compared to a classic barrel length hunting rifle in that caliber.
However, if you are going to shoot hogs, I think you can use a slingshot or whatever you want as they are generally classified as an invasive species.

Also that's a factory Black Collar barrel. Last I checked they only made them in 300 blackout and 6.5 creedmore. Not 308? You might want to verify it is in fact 308.

Welcome to the forum and I think a good start would be a copy of your own state hunting synopsis or online.

Thanks for the reply. The regs are online which

Not necessarily. CO regs may consider a barrel less than 16" to be a handgun and possibly fall under handgun hunting regs (if you have them).

Just a question but have you ever hunted?
I've hunted plenty, but with standard rifles. I was so set on the pork sword for its compact size, I overlooked the 16" regs

It's a pistol...right? I just copied Colorado's regulations, that I found online, to hunt big game with a handgun:

6. HANDGUNS
b. Must use a minimum .24-caliber (6 mm) in diameter expanding bullet. c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited.
d. Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft.-
pounds at 50 yards as rated by manufacturer.

EZ
Thanks, this is true. But as far as I'm aware, only for mountain lion.

Also that's a factory Black Collar barrel. Last I checked they only made them in 300 blackout and 6.5 creedmore. Not 308? You might want to verify it is in fact 308.
Its 308 for sure. I had the choice between 6.5 cm or 308 and I went with 308 for its stopping power -300 yards

Black Collar Arms Pork Sword Pistol FDE .308 Win PSP308-FDE

Page 14 of the Colorado regs.......

CENTERFIRE RIFLES
a. Must be a minimum of .24 caliber (6 mm).
b. Must have a minimum 16-inch barrel and be at least 26 inches long

Technically its a handgun, but Colorado does not allow you to hunt with a brace.

HANDGUNS
b. Must use a minimum .24-caliber (6 mm) in diameter expanding bullet
c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited.
d. Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft.- pounds at 50 yards as rated by manufacturer.

Know before you go.

-E-

Page 14 of the Colorado regs.......

CENTERFIRE RIFLES
a. Must be a minimum of .24 caliber (6 mm).
b. Must have a minimum 16-inch barrel and be at least 26 inches long

Technically its a handgun, but Colorado does not allow you to hunt with a brace.

HANDGUNS
b. Must use a minimum .24-caliber (6 mm) in diameter expanding bullet
c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited.
d. Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft.- pounds at 50 yards as rated by manufacturer.

Know before you go.

-E-
This is why CPW said they'll review it and give me their answer.

It looks like it has a folding stock? Seems that would make it a rifle. However, it also seems a bit intersex (could be fired like a pistol)... that may confuse the hell out of the officials. Whatever they rule, you will have no choice but to comply. And even if they rule for you, you can expect hassles from game officers.

What kind of company names their product "pork sword"? SMH :p;):D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads