JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, it was over by 1:30 this afternoon. It has been almost 6 1/2 hours since the procedure and I have removed the gauze from my mouth. I was awake for the 20-25 minutes of the entire event.
They gave me a drug (the big, bad 'O') that I don't want to use, for tonight's pain. Amoxicillin should help me avoid infection. and Ibuprofen (600 mg) should keep the swelling at a minimum.
I can't believe they didn't put you under but hey, I'm no dentist. When I had my wisdom teeth yerked @25 they put me under with a valium drip. Anyway, good to hear it went as well as it could.

Well, it was over by 1:30 this afternoon. It has been almost 6 1/2 hours since the procedure and I have removed the gauze from my mouth. I was awake for the 20-25 minutes of the entire event.
They gave me a drug (the big, bad 'O') that I don't want to use, for tonight's pain. Amoxicillin should help me avoid infection. and Ibuprofen (600 mg) should keep the swelling at a minimum.
My dentist always gave me pain meds but I never needed them after a few hours I'm sure you know this but don't take them if you don't need to hope all is well Tooth pain is the worst

I had my wisdom teeth out back in the late 70's. Walking down the hall with the nurse, they had the door open to a procedure room and the doctor had a fing chisel and hammer he was working on some poor bastards teeth. I almost walked out of there.

Got it all done, friend took me home, which was a house with 3 other guys who could give a f my wisdom teeth were just removed, not going to get in the way of the usual drinking and smoking going on. Not wanting to appear to being a pissy at the age of 22, I cracked a beer, took a dip of Copenhagen and took a big old rip off the device, which pulled Copenhagen juice back in my mouth and that started one of the most miserable 8 hour periods in my life. I just was not that smart back in those days.

You have not felt misery until you deal with puking right after swallowing beer and Cope juice, hitting your fresh wisdom teeth cuts and dropping a pain pill to fix it all. That was a Friday afternoon and I finally was able to go back to work Monday AM, still felt like sh*t, but functionable.

I had my wisdom teeth out back in the late 70's. Walking down the hall with the nurse, they had the door open to a procedure room and the doctor had a fing chisel and hammer he was working on some poor bastards teeth. I almost walked out of there.

Got it all done, friend took me home, which was a house with 3 other guys who could give a f my wisdom teeth were just removed, not going to get in the way of the usual drinking and smoking going on. Not wanting to appear to being a pissy at the age of 22, I cracked a beer, took a dip of Copenhagen and took a big old rip off the device, which pulled Copenhagen juice back in my mouth and that started one of the most miserable 8 hour periods in my life. I just was not that smart back in those days.

You have not felt misery until you deal with puking right after swallowing beer and Cope juice, hitting your fresh wisdom teeth cuts and dropping a pain pill to fix it all. That was a Friday afternoon and I finally was able to go back to work Monday AM, still felt like sh*t, but functionable.
Lol no smoking or drinking been there done that

I haven't smoked cigarettes in over 25 years and don't drink. I despise marijuana and have no desire to eat anything that will irritate my gums. I am washing my mouth with Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution (or 30 volume). This should reduce my healing time by reducing the bacteria in my mouth.

I'm taking an antiseptic approach while healing in order to prevent infection and reduce the probability for complications. The doctor said that I could be fitted for dentures in about a week.

Did he stitch you up? If not you want to be real careful with the peroxide so as not to rinse the clots out. A dry socket is one of the more painful things I've experienced and I've been thru some nasty crap. Dentures suck but like many other things they're better than the alternative. Have to go in for new ones before I retire so its on the companies dime.

When I liked your post, Captain O, I mean to offer you support.

I worked with a lady who had the teeth plucked and dentures fitted the same day. She dealt with pain for a while, but other than that seemed to adapt/adjust quickly. I wish the same for you.

Thanks to you. It is greatly appreciated.The dentist said that I was wise to wait until my gums have healed before having my dentures fitted.

I am so depressed today that it isn't funny. A sunken face where my teeth once were is both degrading and a stark reminder of my mortality.

Look out for the opiods, they WILL stop you up. ;)

Did the doc not tell you about combining 2 Ibuprofen with one Tylenol?
Or if he gave you Vicodin, one of those with 2 Ibuprofen.

It works great and the "stoppage" isn't near as severe.

Glad you made it through. The recovery will be over before you know it.
Hang tough Cap.

Look out for the opiods, they WILL stop you up. ;)

Did the doc not tell you about combining 2 Ibuprofen with one Tylenol?
Or if he gave you Vicodin, one of those with 2 Ibuprofen.

It works great and the "stoppage" isn't near as severe.

Glad you made it through. The recovery will be over before you know it.
Hang tough Cap.

I haven't eaten since yesterday. I may not eat today. I am avoiding anything that could possibly lead to constipation.

I have plenty of canned pasta (I am eating regularly at the "Chez Chef Boiardi"). As long as I have enough for the week or two for "the duration" I'll be fine.

I can bake some chicken and mash it into a slurry. As long as it slides past the gums, I figure it will maintain my intestinal motility while providing the needed protein.

Glad to hear it was relatively quick & hope you heal up allrite!

If your mouth can handle cold in its current state:

Protein powder shakes can be decent, can add calories with good ice cream Nutella etc.

Used to drink them with my brother before he passed, when he was on chemo.

Can cut the ensure (complete meal) type pre-made shakes with ice-cream etc as well.

Gave his "magic bullet" blender machine away after he passed, but you should be able to pick one up pretty easy at a target/Freddie's/walmart/bedbathbeyond, maybe BiMart. For pretty cheap. Handy that it had a bunch of jars/mugs with threaded caps for the fridge.

Sorry to hear that ur bumming!:

Feeling self conscious and don't want to do a shop or errands? Put a surgical type mask on. Don't have any? Make ur first stop a pharmacy, they should have them by the box. Handy to have anyways.

Bring a notepad & pen if u want to ask questions (where's x y z etc).

-obviously don't be driving about if u took a prescription pain med, or if ur simply not up for it yet-

Captain O,

I know you're not in any mood right now and that is understandable. But I wanted to relay a little story to you, might help, at least I hope it does.

My wife and I have a friend (woman) who had really bad teeth for a long time. She ate poorly because it hurt and she was always ill because they were always infected. She was ashamed of her teeth so she constantly covered her mouth when she smiled.

She finally got dentures and man what an awesome change. Once she got them adjusted a little bit so they wouldn't rub and make sores she was thrilled. Her smile was great, her appetite came back, she was well again and not ill all the time. Her attitude, smile, health were great. And, her voice was just as nice as ever. She felt silly because she said she should have had it done long ago.

Also, regular denture adhesive, even the zinc-free stuff seemed to irritate her gums even after they had toughened up. So, we got her some food grade/natural beeswax to try. She really liked it, it worked and did not irritate her gums. Now, she didn't need to use denture adhesive all the time because they kind of snapped into place, just mostly when she ate. But she liked the beeswax way better. I'll ask my wife if she remembers exactly what we gave he and let you know if you'd like.

Anyhow, hang in there man. I'm thinking of you for whatever that's worth.

Captain O,

I know you're not in any mood right now and that is understandable. But I wanted to relay a little story to you, might help, at least I hope it does.

My wife and I have a friend (woman) who had really bad teeth for a long time. She ate poorly because it hurt and she was always ill because they were always infected. She was ashamed of her teeth so she constantly covered her mouth when she smiled.

She finally got dentures and man what an awesome change. Once she got them adjusted a little bit so they wouldn't rub and make sores she was thrilled. Her smile was great, her appetite came back, she was well again and not ill all the time. Her attitude, smile, health were great. And, her voice was just as nice as ever. She felt silly because she said she should have had it done long ago.

Also, regular denture adhesive, even the zinc-free stuff seemed to irritate her gums even after they had toughened up. So, we got her some food grade/natural beeswax to try. She really liked it, it worked and did not irritate her gums. Now, she didn't need to use denture adhesive all the time because they kind of snapped into place, just mostly when she ate. But she liked the beeswax way better. I'll ask my wife if she remembers exactly what we gave him and let you know if you'd like.

Anyhow, hang in there man. I'm thinking of you for whatever that's worth.

I hope that I can go back to show business. As it has been stated, I believe that removing the soft-palate top of the upper plate, will be of inestimable value.

For what it's worth, I wasn't ill or continually plagued with pain. Periodontal Disease was eroding my mandibular bones.

Perhaps the beeswax is the way to go. I'll take all the help I can get.

I hope that I can go back to show business. As it has been stated, I believe that removing the soft-palate top of the upper plate, will be of inestimable value.

For what it's worth, I wasn't ill or continually plagued with pain. Periodontal Disease was eroding my mandibular bones.

Perhaps the beeswax is the way to go. I'll take all the help I can get.

Ok, wife got home and told me it was this exact product from this company. It's food safe, beeswax and coconut oil .... but you could contact them to be sure. My wife also says they are very nice people too.

I guess it's a little hard right out of the can, but softens up relatively quickly from your body heat so you can work with it. Again, our friend really liked it.

Taper Tacky Taper Candle Positioning Wax
https://www.bigdipperwaxworks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=260&ParentCat=34

Again, get well soon and I hope you can get back to work soon and everything is great and works out for you.

Ok, wife got home and told me it was this exact product from this company. It's food safe, beeswax and coconut oil .... but you could contact them to be sure. My wife also says they are very nice people too.

I guess it's a little hard right out of the can, but softens up relatively quickly from your body heat so you can work with it. Again, our friend really liked it.

Taper Tacky Taper Candle Positioning Wax

Again, get well soon and I hope you can get back to work soon and everything is great and works out for you.

Thank you. I hope I don't sound as if I am whining. That isn't the objective. At my age, going back to work is an uphill battle.

In the "entertainment industry" I find myself in a similar position to that of Tim Allen... being hated for his political views. (I don't fly on a "Left wing").

Thank you. I hope I don't sound as if I am whining. That isn't the objective. At my age, going back to work is an uphill battle.

In the "entertainment industry" I find myself in a similar position to that of Tim Allen... bing hated for his political views. (I don't fly on a "Left wing").

You absolutely do not sound like you are whining, not in the least. Also, we need more like you and Tim Allen out there, so get better and get back to work. :)

I am scheduled to have my dentures fitted on June 27th. I have to say that it is embarrassing to speak to anyone. In four weeks I'll be more than ready to be fitted for my new teeth.

Thanks to all.

hell yeah!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads