JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Iwas considering going,to see what it's all about and maybe just fling some shots downrange with my new to me Contender in .357 Max.
yea,I know,ur supposed to actually hit the targets..
but,got to thinking all my ammo is hollow points since I got a very good buy on the bullets.Any chance they will work,or do I rreally need 'silhouette' bullets,aka 'solids' ?

Iwas considering going,to see what it's all about and maybe just fling some shots downrange with my new to me Contender in .357 Max.
but,got to thinking all my ammo is hollow points since I got a very good buy on the bullets.Any chance they will work,or do I rreally need 'silhouette' bullets,aka 'solids' ?

Hollow points shouldn't be a problem. Come out and take a few shots to get some sight settings and then shoot the course. My FIL Bill will be out there and loves to help people. I'm sure he'll spot for you and get you dialed in.

The hollow points will work just fine if they are heavy enough. 158 grain will knock over a ram if it is going fast enouth.

If I may suggest, the 180 grain bullets would probably work better on the rams. The 158 grain bullets will probably work for everything else. If it is an option for you, going out the day before with a friend and getting some sight settings will improve your score. If you have never shot at those distances before with a handgun, you should know that especially when using iron sights, you will need to dial up for targets at longer range and then back down for the closer targets. The 357 MAX is a good cartridge for silhouette, but shooting 180 grain bullets at 200 meters will still give you a pretty good arch type trajectory. Dry firing will help you with trigger control, but there is no substatute for live fire practice when you are trying to find out where the bullets are going to land.

Today was a great day to shoot! Shot my new personal best (only shot 2 matches so far). 27/40! I know you guys that consistently shoot high 30's are laughing... But i'm calling it a win for the day! :)

Can't wait for October's match! Will be "Shooting" for a 30+! Pun intended!

Boy, rough shooting today. Targets blended right into the berms. Shot a poltry 30 iron and 35 scoped. Wasn't just me though; Bill only got 3 out of 10 turkeys. Must have been a problem with the altitude.

Next match is Nov 4th

Today was a great day shooting! We had a good turn out and the weather was beautiful and bright! Got to sight today for my friend Bill and he cleared the entire field 40/40! If that wasn't cool enough, he was shooting 1/2 size big bore when he did it! What an excellent day!

My set of "new" sights I got last month sucked big toe today, my worst performance to date! Time to talk to Ken Light Mfg and get the right tool for the job... Full length rib setup here I come!

All matches are open to the public. It's a whole lot of fun and you'll be hooked after your first ram! I guaaaaaaa-ron-tee!

Next match 12/2!

Today was a great day shooting! We had a good turn out and the weather was beautiful and bright! Got to sight today for my friend Bill and he cleared the entire field 40/40! If that wasn't cool enough, he was shooting 1/2 size big bore when he did it! What an excellent day!

My set of "new" sights I got last month sucked big toe today, my worst performance to date! Time to talk to Ken Light Mfg and get the right tool for the job... Full length rib setup here I come!

All matches are open to the public. It's a whole lot of fun and you'll be hooked after your first ram! I guaaaaaaa-ron-tee!

Next match 12/2!

I shot terribly too. Weather was great. Targets were visible at all times. (Sometimes they seem to disapear when the sun hits them just right.) Ammo was the same as last time I shot. ( only missed 2 last time.) We had a better than average turn out. I just couldn't hit either the turkeys or the rams.

Is there a match in January? It has been years since the last time I shot at DR. Did the first 40x40 on the range in the new at the time unlimited scoped category. Still have the same gun but haven't shot it since. Now has new stock and sight. Should be ready first of year for another run at it. Hopefully some of the same folks will still be there. This time the ammo will be fresh and not have fallen off the roof of my truck and scattered all over the street going around a corner to match in Albuquerque in 1989.

I'm old school. Mike Avery taught me.

It's on the club calendar for Jan 6th although typically an e-mail goes out Wed or Thur before the shoot to confirm.

Most of the regulars have been there for at least a hundred years so there should be some familiar faces :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top