JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My USCG son is headed to Purto Rico for 3 years in a couple of months. We have talked about Iguana hunting there. It is an invasive species and they hunt them with air rifles.........I think he is going to be more into diving but this looks like fun. I have eaten several large iguanas in jungle survival school........they were really good at the time. Much better than buzzard.

Ya...... Buzzard tastes sorta like a cross between spotted owl, and Bald eagle. :rolleyes: :D
The indigenous survival instructor was very excited about eating buzzard, when they are put under stress. Like being killed......they throw up every nasty thing in there gut. He called them self cleaning.......but nasty in any event. We ate lots of big anacondas and caimans too over the 6 weeks in the Panamanian jungle. (Howard AFB)

Love it! Nothing better that hunting the crap out of something, not damaging some delicate animal population, and good to eat too! Winner Winner Iguana Dinner! Though looking at the faces on the hunters at meal time.....There didn't look to be any "Andrew Zimmerns" among them? Looked a little grossed out I think.

There must be a story there. As I remember they have a fishy taste.............
While an Instructor at the U.S. Army Jungle Survival School in Panama I got "Volunteered" into a weekend in the Boonies. One of the most Hated Rules of the Road was "If you kill it, you eat it!":mad::mad::mad:. Well, that's where I learned to HATE the things! It's that simple. They taste like the trash they eat and some of what they eat is Toxic!

Iguana is a Very tasty meal and can be prepared in a number of ways. Salt, Pepper and Garlic should always be Carried when going into the Field where you may have to do an unplanned meal. Drawn Butter is also very handy to have but it's more like something you are "Planning" to use, such as when going fishing. :):):)

Ah yes. The chicken without wings. Ive eaten quite a bit in Mexico. Quite tasty actually. Doesnt taste like chicken BTW. About the same texture as gator without the fishy taste.

When I hear, "tastes like chicken!"

You mean it has the texture of chicken, it tastes like reptile! Right?

Now I can eat reptile, I have many times but never enjoyed it. Gator tail comes closest!
Best eats from the other side of the food spectrum? Frog legs, eeeyyyuummmm!!! Good as steaks in my book! ;)

Last Edited:
To me the Iguana DOESN'T taste like a snake. I've had snake and just have to remember it IS different that other meats. Iguana tastes like Iguana. It's ALL muscle tissue, just in different forms. While I've lost my taste for Liver(except Fresh Pork) over the years I still like Heart(just about any kind) and Chicken Gizzards.

There was an en episode of some series on either the Outdoor Channel or Sportsman Channel where they were hunting them in Puerto Rico. It did look like fun.

Just DON'T even consider Seagul:confused::confused::confused:l!!! They CAN'T be turned into edible food.
Survival training caused me to reclassify many edibles.
Eat-able (tasty) and edible (survivable).
Sage chicken (sage grouse) are edible but I don't consider them eatable and wouldn't, unless I was starving.
However Blue grouse are eatable to the point I would pay money for the tasty little things.

I hunted Iguanas while stationed in Panama. Hunting with some of the Locals was most entertaining. They used Bows and Arrows(a Very Thin Bamboo) while I used a Winchester 190 Carbine in .22 Rimfire. I got skunked more than once. Even floating down a river, they were fast and accurate!;););)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top