JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What if the fans of Open Carry started insisting Concealed Carry was not in the best interest of the carrier?

Think some would object to being told how to carry?

Of course they would.

You don't like OC, so you insist it's not smart and list all your opinions of why it's not smart.

Here's the solution: YOU don't OC, but let others (it's legal) decide for themselves regarding OC.

Ever heard of 'mask-karens'?

Think the same might be thought of those who sniff and tell the world they 'disapprove' so you should mind 'their' opinion?

I have my opinion and you have yours.

Keep yours...

Maybe under "normal" times then open carry would not necessarily make you the primary target and may deter a crime from even happening. However we are not living in normal times right now.

Need evidence that somebody open carrying would be a target? How about the kid in Kenosha? Or the 2 cops in LA?

Clearly carrying, still targeted.

As for printing. I think I print frequently. I still believe that the untrained eye does not notice. You'd have to be completely obvious in a way that there is no question you're carrying. Form fitting shirts. The trained eye, sure, they will notice. And in the vast majority of the time they are pro-2A and don't care.

What if the fans of Open Carry started insisting Concealed Carry was not in the best interest of the carrier?

Think some would object to being told how to carry?

Of course they would.

You don't like OC, so you insist it's not smart and list all your opinions of why it's not smart.

Here's the solution: YOU don't OC, but let others (it's legal) decide for themselves regarding OC.

Ever heard of 'mask-karens'?

Think the same might be thought of those who sniff and tell the world they 'disapprove' so you should mind 'their' opinion?

I have my opinion and you have yours.

Keep yours...
however, I agree with this. You do you

Perhaps it would be best not to make assumptions about someone else's training and skill levels, move on and be on your way.

The world would be a better place if people would just keep their focus on their own business.

I saw people Open Carrying several times when I lived in Dallas, but everything was properly holstered and nobody batted an eyelash. I have yet to see Open Carry in Salem, outside of gun shops.

Another vote for .380ACP. Easy to conceal and comfortable to carry. I have no interest in being chewed up again by some idiot activist mom, like happened to me at FedEx when I was (legally) shipping a rifle.

I saw people Open Carrying several times when I lived in Dallas, but everything was properly holstered and nobody batted an eyelash. I have yet to see Open Carry in Salem, outside of gun shops.

Another vote for .380ACP. Easy to conceal and comfortable to carry. I have no interest in being chewed up again by some idiot activist mom, like happened to me at FedEx when I was (legally) shipping a rifle.

Oh? I gotta hear this story! Maybe another thread?

Need evidence that somebody open carrying would be a target? How about the kid in Kenosha? Or the 2 cops in LA?

Clearly carrying, still targeted.
If one is carrying in a large, urban environment that is predisposed to more crime and violence then I suspect one might be in more danger OCing.
Alternatively, it's possible that a person OC'ing might not be selected as a victim in preference to someone more vulnerable looking. The Kenosha Kid wasn't mobbed for carrying, he was mobbed despite it for other proactive actions he had been undertaking.

Traveling through California, noted that the In and Out burger place was full of other folks carrying. They all looked pretty normal and I didn't feel any threat, but I had my family so was paying attention and had counted 7 maybe 8. Went to the restroom while waiting on the food and one of the fellas comes in. While washing my hands I laugh and say to the guy as he entered: "am I the only unarmed person in here today? I feel underdressed."

He pauses, laughs, pulls back his jacket and on his waist hooked on his belt was a law officers badge. Says: "bunch of us are just having lunch together".

Alternatively, it's possible that a person OC'ing might not be selected as a victim in preference to someone more vulnerable looking.

To which I agree with.

An OC gun is not necessarily bait which suddenly draws the noses of every criminal werewolf lurking in the shadows and entices them to pounce.

Personally I find it disconcerting the general assumption is an OC gun MAKES one more of a potential victim than not.

I have read this in enough posts here as well as other forums to substantiate the notion.

For the record, I am not opposed to open carry, but I much prefer that the element of surprise remains a tactical advantage in my favor as much as possible! It's the way open carry is done so nonchalantly by some, and the other things that I see in combination with it, that make me cringe.

There is a reason LEOs typically use Level 3 retention holsters, so I believe there is wisdom in armed citizens employing at least Level 2 retention, that they have trained with, for open carry.

For the record, I am not opposed to open carry, but I much prefer that the element of surprise remains a tactical advantage in my favor as much as possible! It's the way open carry is done so nonchalantly by some, and the other things that I see in combination with it, that make me cringe.

There is a reason LEOs typically use Level 3 retention holsters, so I believe there is wisdom in armed citizens employing at least Level 2 retention, that they have trained with, for open carry.
Agree with this. I hate to IWB and really don't like to CCW unless its something small. You are going to print and im not wearing a parka to hide my bubblegum.

Be it shoulder holster (Great for hikes, walks and driving) or OWB , some sort of retention is needed to safely carry.

Kydex is for the range. My preference is Safari land ALS system. Good modular holsters with a ton of options and positive retention, fast draw and fairly cheap.

Unfortunately most of the positive retention holsters on the market are junk, like the serpa.

I was in Cabela's on Saturday .
Thats all you had to say for me to be able to tell where this going.
You have no idea how much I saw things like that on daily basis when I was working in the gun library, wasn't uncommon to see someones piece that was supposed to concealed. I make extra effort when I'm carrying not to move in any ways that may expose what I'm carrying, which I would have thought to be the norm.

Agree with this. I hate to IWB and really don't like to CCW unless its something small. You are going to print and im not wearing a parka to hide my bubblegum.
IWB works, OWB is more comfortable, either way I have no trouble carrying fullsize handguns without printing and without wearing a jacket. Holster and belt selection go a long way so does your chosen carry position.

I've talked about this more than once! There just AIN'T an intelligence test of gun ownership! The same is true for getting a Driver's License!

There's an old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"....
The same is true for his guns.

I'm sorry, but is there any evidence to support the claim that OWB OPEN CARRY is in more danger? I've heard this "claim" for years, but it seems to lack support.

I'm not against open carry but I do agree with others here... there is a time and place for everything. I dont think there will be any conclusive data here, but an easy web search of "robbed of gun open carry" turns up more than one result including the most famous one right here in Portland a few years ago. Id call this empirical evidence to support the claim...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top