JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I posted this some time ago but a good time to re-post it!

I don't have a problem necessarily with open carry but more as to the manner in which it is done. A few months ago I walked into an LGS in Bend and this tall, lanky stupid looking fella was standing there with two revolvers in old leather holsters forward on his belt (kind of like pointing at each other) He kind of looked like someone in a old 1930's picture defending his still against the revenuers.

I'm sorry, but is there any evidence to support the claim that OWB OPEN CARRY is in more danger? I've heard this "claim" for years, but it seems to lack support.

Hadn't heard that. I do think that by concealing I am more likely to be able to get a good opportunity to respond with force. If I am open carrying, and it is noticed by the criminal, then they will definitely keep their eyes on me or possibly confront me first before others.

I do think that by concealing I am more likely to be able to get a good opportunity to respond with force. If I am open carrying, and it is noticed by the criminal, then they will definitely keep their eyes on me or possibly confront me first before others.

But this seems to be all conjecture.
Not tryin to start an argument, just tryin to get to the facts. :)

I'm sorry, but is there any evidence to support the claim that OWB OPEN CARRY is in more danger?
I believe this would be predicated by your environment.

If one is carrying in a large, urban environment that is predisposed to more crime and violence then I suspect one might be in more danger OCing.

Where I live (predominantly rural) I do not have a high level of violence and crime and therefore do not regard it as much of a problem.

I have never heard of anyone open carrying in the Central Oregon area being attacked and his/her gun taken however remember Mr. Tall, lankey two gun carryin' fool I described a couple posts back? Put him in a high crime environment with his method of carry (if even legal) and he would be minus those two guns in a short order.

Last Edited:
Was at a restaurant the other day and a guy came in wearing this, when I saw it I had to take a pic.

View attachment 750008

If we give the guy the benefit of the doubt, it is possible (I don't know how likely) he did the following calculation:

A) I don't have a concealed carry license so I will open carry.
B) Open carrying makes me a target for criminals.
C) I'll keep a mag in my pocket in case SHTF and also in case someone sneaks up behind me and steals my gun.

Maybe. Or he's a doof.

EDIT: Most likely scenario is that since he doesn't have a CPL and assuming this is in WA, he had his gun unloaded in his car as he must and forgot to put the mag in it.

Maybe I need to start appendix carry of my G17L lol. These Safariland retention rigs are my go to for open carry and work real well in my opinion.

20200523_173822.jpg

Decided Fact or Urban Myth: If I am open carrying, and it is noticed by the criminal, then they will definitely keep their eyes on me or possibly confront me first before others?

When is is cooler weather I use either an IWB or OWB and keep my shirt tucked in with my jacket unzipped. Warmer weather I use sleeveless t-shirt and wear either aT-shirt with sleeves or a polo shirt with an IWB holster. I wear mostly dark T-shirts or polo shirts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top