JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in Cabela's on Saturday and saw a dude open-carrying in an OWB, non-retention holster in the small-of-back position with his jacket very conspicuously pulled up and tucked behind the weapon. Not only is small-of-back carry difficult and dangerous on the draw, but it would have been VERY easy for someone to take the gun away and use it on him, and if he needed the gun in a hurry he would likely have grabbed a fistful of jacket when trying to render the proper grip.

Another time in Jerry's Home Improvement, I saw a guy open-carrying strong side with a non-retention OWB holster, and his young daughter up on his shoulders. Again, if someone tried to take his gun his options would be to defend the gun grab, or hang onto his daughter to keep from dropping her on her head. Folks, if you're gonna carry, PLEASE think about what you are doing and make sure you carry smart!

Was at a restaurant the other day and a guy came in wearing this, when I saw it I had to take a pic.

9511FC4D-FDC9-4D45-BEEC-BB8F70CA60A5.jpeg

This makes them a target to a shooter, that pulls attention away from me. This gives me adequate time to gain advantageous positioning, pound the second half of my C4, draw and shoot at my leisure.

I think one of the "best" (read: funniest) things I ever saw along these lines was years ago when I worked part time at a small local gun shop: A guy came in, dressed to the nines in "tactical" clothes and open carrying not one, but TWO 1911 pistols in USPSA race style holsters - one on each hip, and a row of at least 5 magazines along the small of his back... Like an out of shape male version of Laura Croft :confused:!

It was honestly a struggle not to laugh in his face, and to this day I wish I had taken a picture.

No doubt, mall ninjas are goofy 'look at me/look at me types.

But, and it's a biggun, what and how they carry...is their business...

Perhaps, look to yourself and see if you're doing laughable things in other people's eyes..

This makes them a target to a shooter, that pulls attention away from me. This gives me adequate time to gain advantageous positioning, pound the second half of my C4, draw and shoot at my leisure.
That's one theory. It assumes that an opportunistic felon will see an armed citizen and then still opt to commit his felony, and will then form a coherent tactical plan prior to executing his crime. This is possible. I never considered it likely though. I find it more plausible that the crime will be deferred a bit in favor of a big gulp and a smoke break. I'm unaware of any evidence either way.

I do carry concealed, generally using an OWB holster. Thankfully Oregon doesn't criminalize a CHL carrier for printing or other accidental open carry.

You raise a good point.

However, if you look outside, we ain't in Kansas anymore.

Pretty sure none of us thought random midgets were going to be assassinating police in broad daylight, either.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads