JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Teenagers poured gasoline on boy walking home from school and set him on fire: cops

Boy's mother says she was told it was a hate crime

Comments By Meena Hart Duerson / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, March 4, 2012, 7:43 PM

via KMBC.com

The boy’s mother Melissa Coon said his attackers told him ‘you deserve it.’

James Goldsmith/Getty Images/OJO Images

Two teenagers set a boy on fire on his way home from school, cops said.

A 13-year-old boy who police say was doused with gasoline and lit on fire last week while walking home from school is recovering from first-degree burns to his face and head.
The boy was just two blocks from his home in Kansas City Tuesday when two teenagers began to follow him and then attacked him, his mother, Melissa Coon, said.
Police have described the suspects as black 16-year-olds, while the victim is white.
"We were told it's a hate crime," Coon told KTLA.
"They rushed him on the porch as he tried to get the door open," Coon told KMBC. "(One of them) poured the gasoline, then flicked the Bic, and said, 'This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy.'"
By lighting the gasoline, the second attacker "produced a large fireball burning the face and hair" of the boy, according to a Kansas City Police Department report obtained by KCTV.
"It was pretty bad stuff," Detective Stacey Taylor told the TV station, adding that police are concerned the boy may have suffered damage to his eyes and lungs.

Arson and murder/attempted murder... That's pretty simple. Drop the criminal in his tracks(preferably before he lights the kid), find a fire extinguisher.

no way you could have prevented the act without prior knowledge. And if you shot after the fact you would be one of the ones in trouble

There's no place in society for people to be setting each other on fire, I would not choose to cell phone video a human being set on fire, I'd intervene and try to stop it from going down. Odds are that those punks would have thought twice about lighting someone on fire if they had a barrel pointed at them.

This is a simple scenario.You have a gun and someone is committing murder.

This should be a rhetorical question.

As long as you are back far enough to not light the gas off,put bullets through the persons dumping gas on the victim.

What court is going to convict you of ANYTHING when someone is dumping gas on another person?
Most people know what happens after gas is dumped on a person and will side on the defender

If you have the right attorney.

You gotta realize they were a gang and followed him home saying that he had it coming because he was white.. premeditation and a clear running danger..if I saw a gas can or anything that looked like it the hardware would come out and they would run. If not I would have no problem punching their tickets

It would TOTALLY depend on the dynamics of the situation. Reaction time is crucial. Once the kid is already on fire, the priority is to get him safe.
If however, you see it BEFORE it happens...between the gas and the lighting, THEN would be an appropriate time to shoot.
Such a terrible, scary situation:(

The reason we all carry or part of it at least is to protect ourselves our loved ones and anyone else in a life threatning situation. If i was in this situation i would take aim and hope the threat had a higher power cause he would meet him.

Arson and murder/attempted murder... That's pretty simple. Drop the criminal in his tracks(preferably before he lights the kid), find a fire extinguisher.

Ah, so you know what gas looks like being pored on someone? Or you would have shot them after conducting the act, then full knowing it was an accelerant?

I would LOVE to know how you can tell gas from water. I would also love to know even more-so how you will explain this to a jury since you just shot two black 16 year olds...

Unless you were specifically involved in the situation (i.e. you were walking the kid home since he had death threats made against him), could smell the gas and knew their intent THEN I would suggest the gun as an option. Even then I would simply use the firearm to ward away the attackers and not to shoot a couple kids because I saw a lighter and smelled gas.

Again, not all case of self defense are clear-cut, black and white.

Would you shoot two guys wrestling around with a knife? Who would you shoot? How close would you get to do it?

These kids would have had to have been very close to each other to do this. Unless they were spraying gas on him from a squirt gun, I doubt they would have even been clear enough from the victim to even shoot in the first place.

You have to remember the rules of deadly force, oppurtunity, capablity, and intent, that is what you have to prove to a DA and a jury. Maybe if you thought what you seen was an act against person (s), you could draw down on them and have them stop or try to stop the act. The correct action would be to preserve life at the time. Call 911, hopefully scare them away or not to ignite.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top