JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have one, perhaps opening up your crawlspace, especially if it's an internal access, and bury it under your home...

Easier to locate and hidden under the home so virtually no chance of an accidental dig up...

Just get one of these... place it amongst some shrubbery in a corner of the back yard....
bolted to a concrete pad.

1618244682625.png

Looks like a solid product. Thanks for the suggestion!

I would look outside of Amazon for other reviews too. I have at two of these I bought on sale:

And then came across a review where someone tested it and found it leaked after being buried (I will have to look it up again). I was disappointed and decided on going with other solutions.

Figured I would get about 10 of those responses.

Lets be clear, We are discussing burying one stash, not every gun I own. I would need an excavator.
If it gets to the point where we actually need firearms for watering the tree of liberty, mine will be put to proper use.

Toss in one of those flashlights with the crank handle that also has ports to charge USB stuff and a radio. Then rechargeable batteries and a charger that hooks up USB.

Steer clear of trees. Roots can tear into anything given time. Maybe build a wall of cinder block around your container underground to help prevent this.

When I saw the title, "bury a stash" I wondered, "why on earth would anyone need to bury their stash in Oregon? Everything is legal now."

Glad I looked at the thread first.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Many separate stashes; all pretty much the same but placed in many different hopefully safe places. Earthquake. Wildfire. House fire. Tsunami. Short term. Long term. Riots. Intruders. Death squads. Nuclear war. Volcano. Etc.. Etc...

Gas masks with spare filters. Warm clothing. Mosquito netting. Water. Shelter. Food. Protection. Etc.. Do not hide the stashes too far away; you may not have time or ability to retrieve them. Understand most will be lost or non retrievable. Many better than just few.

If buried try to determine permanent landmarks; topography can change. Bury deep. Wildfires can burn many feet into soil. Concentrate on contents that will be needed and used immediately. Everyone's needs may be somewhat unique. Plan ahead. Work slow doing.

Equal paragraph length attempts fun but futile. :)

Interesting thread, only because of a past experience. I'm not a prepper, myself, and won't be burying anything anytime soon.

A long time ago I helped locate some buried guns. They had been buried in the coastal Oregon woods sometime in the early '90s. In the next ten years, those woods had been logged over, and it took days to find them, even though we knew the nearly exact location. The land can change a lot over time.

There were three Chinese SKS rifles, taken apart and lightly oiled, in an old US Navy rocket box/ammo can, the heavy gray ones with six latches- two on each side and one on each end. Those things are amazing.

The can with the rifles was put in a plastic drum with a screw on lid, along with several tins of Chinese 7.62 ammo, and buried out in the wet, wet woods. The top of the drum was a couple feet under ground.

The reason for this was that someone didn't want "those assault guns" in their house, was afraid they'd be raided and arrested for having such scary things around. Apparently no amount of explaining that they were completely legal and really pretty innocent (as far as guns go) would help.

So, ten years go by and I help find them again, using a metal detector and a couple afternoons of searching. When the drum was located and the top removed, it was discouraging to find that the drum was half full of water! The gun box and ammo tins were all partially submerged.

Those Navy cans are amazing, I'll say it again. When opened, the rifles were just as clean and dry as the day they were put into it, not a hint of rust or any damage. The Chinese ammo tins were all sealed but the outsides were oxidized badly. I opened one up and the ammo inside was clean and shiny as the day it was made.

So, the lesson I learned from this is that if you're going to do something like this, do it right and it will be fine. It has to be sealed very well. A plastic container with a screw on lid is not enough; over time it WILL leak. The military knows how to seal things, so it's worth while to see how they do it. Better yet, just buy a couple US Navy ammo cans. :)

A long time ago I helped locate some buried guns. They had been buried in the coastal Oregon woods sometime in the early '90s. In the next ten years, those woods had been logged over, and it took days to find them, even though we knew the nearly exact location. The land can change a lot over time.
Yes, my clearcut acreage is hardly recognizable compared to what it was when forested. Lot's of landmarks removed, heavy equipment making ruts and small hills, slash piles burned or left to rot, trails totally obliterated, not to mention possible erosion and logging roads.

I have three of these:

llery-powder-charge-container-for-155mm-m4a2-image.jpg
They are about the right size. I would like to get some more. They only have an opening at the top with the screw on lid which has an o-ring. That said, yes, over time it might leak. I've read tests of those small "survival vaults" with the dual lids - they leaked after a year or two - I think I have one or two of those.

I would use multiple layers of protection to reduce the chance of water getting to things like guns, ammo, etc. that can be damaged by water - cosmoline on the metal, then wrap it in VCI paper, then VCI bags, then a mylar heat sealed bag, then vinyl, then a "waterproof plastic tube/box/container, then bury that in gravel for drainage (so it spends less time in wet soil) with heavy plastic sheet around/on top of the tube.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top