JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
take a look at this - from the Republic of Ireland. This is to get a 'training certificate', whatever THAT is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********
Hello, I was wondering how I would get a firearms training certificate which would allow me to use a firearm under supervision.
Could you guys help me?

First thing you need is someone with a licensed firearm, that is over 18, that is willing to let you license the firearm and allow you to shoot with them.
Once that hurdle is jumped you need to apply for the training license. There is a minimum age of 14 but no maximum age. You can get a training license at any age, but it is aimed at youngsters as anyone over 16 can get a full license so its generally uncommon for someone over 16 to apply for one.

Anywho, get or download an FCA1 application form (from your local Garda Station or the Garda website, here).

Here is a short guide on how to fill out the FCA1.

For the following sections:
  • Section 1 - Tick "Training Firearm Certificate" and in the box below tick "I have not held a certificate for this firearm in the previous three years".
  • Section 2.1 - Fill in all the personal information stuff. Everything.
  • Section 2.2 - Give name, address and phone number for your GP, and any other doctor you might be visiting.
  • Section 2.3 - You need two people to vouch for you as referees. Supply their name, address and details in this section.
  • Section 2.4 - Tick the boxes as appropriate.
  • Section 2.5 - Ignore. (*** see additional information below ***)
  • Section 3.1 - Fill in the details of the gun you intend to "joint" license. All the info will be on the firearm certificate of whomever's gun you intend to license.
  • Section 3.2 - Tick "silencer" if its a rifle and the person has a suppressor. Ignore "sights" box, its only for NV stuff.
  • Section 3.3 - As this is a joint license you skip part A and fill in section B. You include the person's name, address, contact number, certificate number and for how you got the gun write "Joint license".
  • Section 3.4 - Ignore
  • Section 3.5 - Tick "YES", and then give the address of the current license holder.
  • Section 4.1 - Tick English, and below that write in the amount of rounds you want. I'd apply for the same as the current license holder. Then write in the current license holders certificate number.
  • Section 4.2 - Tick whichever applies. I don't know what the gun is or what you intend to use it for so only you can answer the questions in this section. Just know if you tick target shooting you will be required to show membership of a range and if hunting you will be required to produce membership to a club or private permissions on lands you have permission to hunt on.
  • Section 4.3 - Fill in any details of a range or club if you are a member of either.
  • Section 4.4 - Here is the important one. Fill in the current license holders certificate number. You need your parent or guardian to sign this part of the form. Then print their name, address, contact details, etc. and date it.
  • Section 5.1 - Tick yes (no need for licenses as your firearms license covers you for all non licenseable species. IOW rabbits, foxes, etc. just not Deer)
  • Section 5.2 - Ignore
  • Sign it, and date it.

*** ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - This information is in regard to section 2.5, competence. When someone is applying for a firearm they must show competence the first time. This is usually done via one of four ways, however as you are applying for a training license which by its very definition is a means of starting off in shooting sports no certificate of competence is required. You might face a little resistance on this. By that i mean An Gardaí may still ask, even demand, a competence certificate but if you're under 16 and applying for a training license this negates the requirement for a competence certificate and there may even be legal issues with someone under 16 doing a competence course. ***

Ask the person who's gun you are licensing to accompany you when submitting your paperwork.

You need to provide more information for some sections on a separate piece of paper, labelled "Additional Information". See which sections apply to you, and fill in the following for those sections:
  1. Section 2.1 - Previous Address: If you have lived elsewhere provide those addresses.
  2. Section 2.5 - Outlined above.
  3. Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 250-500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
    • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    • I regularly take part in clay shoots and actively attend clay ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time. (ONLY IF IN A RANGE/CLUB)
    • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
    • Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.
    • The person who holds the main license has "X" amount of ammunition and i must be licensed to carry the same amount if/when i'm out with this person.
  4. Section 4.2 - Reason for Gun:
    • Control of vermin on listed lands
    • To learn to safely handle a firearm
    • Clay pigeon shooting/target shooting (ONLY IF IN A RANGE/CLUB)
    • Hunting of game during the open seasons.
For your first licenses you need to be as complete as possible, but for any additional licenses over the years you'll find some of the above does not need to be filled in. You'll also find when you decide to go for a license of your own on a gun of your own that this license will act as your proof of competence instead of a 30 minute course.

Think that covers most/all of it. Anything else, just ask.

viewpost.gif

The truly amazing thing is that shooters in Ireland - legal shooters, that is - CAN have an AR. Not many, it's true, but many more than none at all.

Of course, in UK we can't have them at all. :(

Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 250-500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
  • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
:confused:

I'm speechless.

Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 250-500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:

I'm speechless.

Actually, the way I read that... each full round would count as 4 rounds (because there's four components to a bullet), and a spent round would count as 2 rounds as the casing and the primer (albeit spent) remains.... :rolleyes:

Also, brass, nickel, and steel is a component, copper/lead is a component, cellulose is a component.... so ingots of any of THAT would be considered ammo.... :rolleyes:

We need a new frontier, far from bean counters and legislators. A place where there are no boxes to be ticked, and everyone works. A place where being unarmed is unthinkable.

I'm speechless.

Ahem.

Dare I point out that that is just like Washington DC? Capital of the United States of America?

Ahem.

Dare I point out that that is just like Washington DC? Capital of the United States of America?

Hey, I don't know what to think. All I know is that the free people of The U.S. are buying every gun, and all the ammo they can. Here, the people are supposedly THE Government. This means that dipbubblegumz in D.C. and all the states capitols are totally ignoring parts of documents that separate this GREAT country from the rest of the worlds countries.

Ahem.

Ahem, correction-

DC is the sphincter of the USA.... where all the turds splash around trying to be the turd on top, making quite the mess and aromatic bouquet in the process.... they're also mired in TONS of "paperwork" (if you get my meaning).

;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads